• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you know, the reason the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame is located in Ishpeming Michigan is because it is the birthplace of organized skiing in North America?
https://skihall.com/museum/#museum-details

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you know, @Philpug has never seen the movie Aspen Extreme? :eek:

How can an owner of the predominant skiing internet forum have such a serious deficiency in ski lore knowledge? @Tricia, you need to take immediate action to correct this unfortunate hole in @Philpug ‘smovie attendance. Got popcorn?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Searching to see if Aspen Extreme was available on Amazon Prime Video (I've never seen it either), I came across this movie :

Winter Break
3 stars (22)
IMDB 5.0
1h 37min
Rated R
In this hilarious comedy-drama, four recent college grads spend a year in Aspen and try to figure out what to do with their lives.

Anyone ever seen it? It can be watched for free. The pic accompanying the movie has... ahem... potential. Seems to be an American Pie knock-off...

814WLixVW-L._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you know an Ibex will climb a dam to lick salt? (Couldn't they just put a tub at the bottom??)

The running back down is just as impressive!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you know an Ibex will climb a dam to lick salt? (Couldn't they just put a tub at the bottom??)

I wonder which ibex was first to think, "I bet if I scale this sheer drop there will be salt"?

Marcus Caston: Hold my beer, billy goat!

Reactions: mdf

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder whether the Ibex can smell the salt/calcium, or they know from experience to climb the damn? Maybe both?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did you know that only one car has been on the cover of both Time and Newsweek at the same time. It was the Ford Mustang.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
did you know there are 200 volcanoes listed as active in North America.
did you know their were 300 small earthquakes associated with Yellowstone's just in March this year.
Did you know the Yellowstone caldera used to be located over near Boise. It has continually move East Northeast.
Look out Twin Cities.

James

Out There
Instructor
did you know their were 300 small earthquakes associated with Yellowstone's just in March this year.
There’s a town in CT that often has tiny earthquakes. They get loud and or frequent for times then quiet down. Been going on for as long as we’ve been here and before.
It’s an interesting story with the different explanations through the years.

————
The Wangunk Indians had told the colonists of the fearful noises that they tried to appease. In fact, the Indians called the land around Mt. Tom “Machemoodus,” meaning place of bad noises. The settlers shortened the name to Moodus, now a village in East Haddam.

The Puritans, of course, thought their angry God caused the Moodus noises. They first recorded hearing the noises in 1702.

The Indians had a somewhat different take on the noises, wrote Hosmer. An old Indian said the Indian’s god was very angry that the Englishman’s god had come here.

But by the 20th century, scientists from Boston College’s Weston Observatory concluded tiny, shallow earthquakes called earthquake swarms caused the Moodus noises.
———————————

The noises I guess go away for times, people forget, then they come back and some people freak out again.

In the 1980’s there was a scientific study that drilled holes in the area. One drilled down 1.5km.
If you want to geek out on it, here’s the report-

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you know that one out of seven men is color blind, but only one out of twenty six women is color blind. Proving once again that they are the stronger sex.
Women are the carriers :geek:, how do I know slight red/green color blindness from my moms side.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did you know...
Chris Craft, the boat manufacturer known for its beautiful wooden boats, produced the landing crafts used on D-Day?
The hot link I provided has some fascinating information.
View attachment 104047

I have some sentimental attachement to Chris Craft because the boat factory in Cadillac, Michigan employeed many of my relatives.

View attachment 104045

Image of a Chris Craft boat show we attended on Lake Tahoe 2012
View attachment 104048
Always liked the Cris Craft boats, they had such a great classic look.

Sponsor

Staff online