• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CX-5 Replacement--Need More Space and Good MPG

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Yep, those 21" wheels are what Gary and I have on our cars. I didn't realize that snows would be hard to find at that size, but I did realize that whatever new rubber I get, it's going to be a hefty upcharge.
Go to tire rack (thanks phil) or discount tire which is affiliated with tire rack. Mag wheels and Michelin snows for $2000 includes tax etc. Yes that is a chunk of change but there were a couple times in the past 2 yrs when I snows would have been helpful, although the stock Michelins kept me on the road.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Over in SoCal, we have these things call traffic meters. When they are in operation, you have a traffic light that controls each lane that allows cars to merge in intervals. There are plenty of times when you need to get to 0-65 to match the speed of traffic that you're merging onto, when it's not deep into rush hour traffic and the traffic meters are still operational

View attachment 216706

Was just visiting Cali for 10 days last month and I encountered many of those highway entrance lights. I had a tin can skaeboard thing that was terrible. I was missing my Tigual big time.... I pretty much gave her a giant hug when I got back home.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, those 21" wheels are what Gary and I have on our cars. I didn't realize that snows would be hard to find at that size, but I did realize that whatever new rubber I get, it's going to be a hefty upcharge.

Snows for the CX-9 going on tomorrow. Now, for the love of all that is skiing, let it SNOW!
Grateful for 18" vs. 19" wheels. A tad cheaper (but still not cheap!) for snows.

on track with what @Gary Stolt suggested, especially with 21" rims, and if you have the space, a set of smaller rims and snows can run cheaper than large rims and snows.

Tire Rack sells em, I don't think Discount Tire is affiliated with Tire Rack but in any case, DT has a wide set of rims. Belle Tire, I think even Sams and Costco sells rims.

Bought a set of used rims for my truck years ago, seller bought up to 20" and dumped his standard (at the time)17 rims. paid under $40 each.

Needed a rim for the Explorer this spring, junk yard "ugly" (chrome rim with Al crude) ran me $55, painted it and the others basic black and they came out decent.

Anyhow, spare rims can be cheap and save the hassle of remounting tires in spring/fall

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was just visiting Cali for 10 days last month and I encountered many of those highway entrance lights. I had a tin can skaeboard thing that was terrible. I was missing my Tigual big time.... I pretty much gave her a giant hug when I got back home.
When I lived in the Poconos, PA, off of I-80... the entrance ramps onto I-80 were notoriously short. You had to gun the car to get as close to traffic speed as possible, unless you like being the person that forces right lane traffic to slow down for you, back when I had a 90 hp VW Golf TDI... I needed as much of a head start I could.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
on track with what @Gary Stolt suggested, especially with 21" rims, and if you have the space, a set of smaller rims and snows can run cheaper than large rims and snows.

Tire Rack sells em, I don't think Discount Tire is affiliated with Tire Rack but in any case, DT has a wide set of rims. Belle Tire, I think even Sams and Costco sells rims.

Bought a set of used rims for my truck years ago, seller bought up to 20" and dumped his standard (at the time)17 rims. paid under $40 each.

Needed a rim for the Explorer this spring, junk yard "ugly" (chrome rim with Al crude) ran me $55, painted it and the others basic black and they came out decent.

Anyhow, spare rims can be cheap and save the hassle of remounting tires in spring/fall
My CX-9 has 18 rims stock. We have a set of 17" rims for the Mazda 6 and might go down that path for the CX-9 but not this year. I'm not finding them cheap anywhere. Snow tires are Continental VikingContact 7.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think Discount Tire is affiliated with Tire Rack

Now one and the same. Surprised me, but when I bought snow tires/wheels from Tire Rack, it gave me a low-cost option to have my local dico tire do the install.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now one and the same. Surprised me, but when I bought snow tires/wheels from Tire Rack, it gave me a low-cost option to have my local dico tire do the install.
Well golly be,

DT bought up TR 2 years ago - internet so handy when not being lazy.

I always liked DT, they even patched a tire for me for free, and swapped my winters for summers at same time.

Did TR previously as they're in my old home tome where family lives. Brother never told me, would of been big news there.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I lived in the Poconos, PA, off of I-80... the entrance ramps onto I-80 were notoriously short. You had to gun the car to get as close to traffic speed as possible, unless you like being the person that forces right lane traffic to slow down for you, back when I had a 90 hp VW Golf TDI... I needed as much of a head start I could.
Where’d u live off of 80? I also grew up in the area…

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: BC.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
Since you are in Socal - you should see the on ramp for the 110 freeway between Pasadena and downtown LA. There is like 20 feet of runway(if that) to merge, and you have cars on the highway coming around blind corners at 50mph.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's get back on topic, guys. Here is some help. :ogcool:

Since you are in Socal - you should see the on ramp for the 110 freeway between Pasadena and downtown LA. There is like 20 feet of runway(if that) to merge, and you have cars on the highway coming around blind corners at 50mph,WHICH IS WHERE AMY'S NEW CX-9 WOULD REALLY SHINE.

You're welcome.

Sorry. Bored. No real skiing to be had here yet....:huh:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The CX-9 had the turbo 4-banger engine, which is about average 0-60 for the segment.... so it really wouldn't shine on the short on-ramps.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The CX-9 had the turbo 4-banger engine, which is about average 0-60 for the segment.... so it really wouldn't shine on the short on-ramps.

Agreed. Just kidding around, making a likely feeble attempt at getting the thread back on track.

James

Out There
Instructor
Test the Highlander hybrid. It’s probably the best solution.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Test the Highlander hybrid. It’s probably the best solution.

Agreed. Just kidding around, making a likely feeble attempt at getting the thread back on track.

Could always try for a free ride in Ford's Explorer hybrid cop package ...

1702789057834.png

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online