• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CX-5 Replacement--Need More Space and Good MPG

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Well I'm late to the party, but I am looking forward to some updates from @AmyPJ on the new CX-9 (congrats!). I am gently "guiding" my wife toward the CX-90 after almost 20 years of her minivan ownership. I really like the Mazda brand.

Myself, I also love the CX-5 and drove mine until last January when I gave it to my son who needed a new car for college. I still miss it. I test drove the new CX-50 with the turbo and really liked a lot, but in the end I decided to go with a Genesis GV70 3.5T. When we were in Aspen a couple Gatherings ago, I experienced @Gary Stolt with his beautiful Genesis that he drove from Kentucky. Let's just say I was mightily impressed with that vehicle and it really stuck with me...

It's not really an apples to apples as it's a much more expensive vehicle than the CX-50, but so far it's turning out to be a pretty nice skiing vehicle. Probably the biggest surprise is that using the 110V electrical outlet in the car keeps my boot bag so much warmer than using the 12V DC converter on the way up to the mountains. Of course the engine can basically run circles around most of the other vehicles I encounter on the ride up. I have yet to test it in any serious snow. Hoping it's equally capable...
Congrats Mark on the gv70 purchase. Did you get a 2024 model?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rear captains were none negotiable for us when looking a new Yukon, they were a must for @Tricia and I have to agree with her, on long trips, so much better than the bench.

This just shows that everybody has different priorities. One of the (many) deciding factors for me in choosing my Explorer ST was that I could order it without rear captains chairs, for a variety of reasons.

The other contenders, in the trim level I wanted, required rear captains chairs.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not a captain chair fan either but definitely to each their own. I prefer more of a snug cockpit style. I also prefer the infotainmemt screen to be a little lower, not high above the dash like the Q5. My main requirements were ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, automatic wipers, wireless charging and carplay connectivity, system navigation, the ability to move navigation to the instrument cluster, a siper luxurious ride and to fit my skis in the car long way without having to angle. Bonus is a ski pass thru. My Tiguan SEL r line with its 20"" wheels had all this and then some. For the first time in my life I have my perfect wish list car. The only thing I'd change would be the color. Didn't want black but thy tiggy didn't come in red when I was shopping. The black did look amazing with the chrome accents so she reeled me in.

Cars are a beautiful thing because there are so many styles, models and colors so you just had to find the one that has most or all of your requirements and off you go.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny about the Captain Chairs vs. Bench discussion. I am on a Yukon/Suburban/Esclalade forum and there are as many people looking to swap one for another each way ... it is just they are spread out all over the country.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I still have the gv70. The 6 cyl, 3.5 liter has plenty of power but I also drove their 4cyl and was surprised at the sound and power.
Mine came with 21 inch wheels and initially could not find snow tires for it.
This year tire rack had a chart that said 19 inch snow tires and rims would fit. Haven't put em on yet but will soon.
Sounds like you have a Sport Advanced or Sport Prestigue, which has 21" wheels.

The standard wheel size on the gv70 is 19"

1701021907511.png

Attachments

• 1701021824201.png
    1701021824201.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 0

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Sounds like you have a Sport Advanced or Sport Prestigue, which has 21" wheels.

The standard wheel size on the gv70 is 19"

View attachment 216559

Yep, those 21" wheels are what Gary and I have on our cars. I didn't realize that snows would be hard to find at that size, but I did realize that whatever new rubber I get, it's going to be a hefty upcharge.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not a captain chair fan either but definitely to each their own. I prefer more of a snug cockpit style. I also prefer the infotainmemt screen to be a little lower, not high above the dash like the Q5. My main requirements were ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, automatic wipers, wireless charging and carplay connectivity, system navigation, the ability to move navigation to the instrument cluster, a siper luxurious ride and to fit my skis in the car long way without having to angle. Bonus is a ski pass thru. My Tiguan SEL r line with its 20"" wheels had all this and then some. For the first time in my life I have my perfect wish list car. The only thing I'd change would be the color. Didn't want black but thy tiggy didn't come in red when I was shopping. The black did look amazing with the chrome accents so she reeled me in.

Cars are a beautiful thing because there are so many styles, models and colors so you just had to find the one that has most or all of your requirements and off you go.

By coincidence I've just come back from 10 days in Montreal where my rental car was...a black Tiguan R-line. My first time driving one and I was impressed! I think it was the Highline / SEL trim, so it seemed to have all the bells and whistles. You really notice the low-end torque it has over things like the Forester, RAV, and CRV. I will admit, being in Montreal, home to maybe the crappiest roads in North America, the upsized wheels didn't help the ride, but wheels aside, I can certainly appreciate why these are so popular!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
By coincidence I've just come back from 10 days in Montreal where my rental car was...a black Tiguan R-line. My first time driving one and I was impressed! I think it was the Highline / SEL trim, so it seemed to have all the bells and whistles. You really notice the low-end torque it has over things like the Forester, RAV, and CRV. I will admit, being in Montreal, home to maybe the crappiest roads in North America, the upsized wheels didn't help the ride, but wheels aside, I can certainly appreciate why these are so popular!
People usually complain about the budack cycle engine on the Tiguan, as it's not a particularly fast car, as it seems to lose steam rather quickly (after the burst of low end grunt from the turbo), as it has a slower 0-60 time compared to the RAV4, CR-V, and Forester.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Perhaps, they've improved things as one of the reasons I love this car is it can get out of is own way. I'm gone the second the light turns green and if I need to make a quick lane change or zip around someone it's a bada bing and I'm where I want to be.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
as it has a slower 0-60 time compared to the RAV4, CR-V, and Forester.
Unless you're drag racing people on the way to the grocery store, 0-60 has to be one of the more meaningless statistics. Acceleration from 30-70 is much more important for day to day driving. Or 0-30 from a stoplight. Not too many opportunities to go from 0-60 day to day.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snows for the CX-9 going on tomorrow. Now, for the love of all that is skiing, let it SNOW!
Grateful for 18" vs. 19" wheels. A tad cheaper (but still not cheap!) for snows.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

I think they are pretty sweet. The ride is smooth as anything and you'll be going 90 without even realizing it. It's a great off the line car and quick lane changes are easy peazy.

The SELs line has every bell and whistle. I was looking at the forester but the met the R line and was in instant love. We didn't care for the CRX or the Rav. The Tiguans interior is so sleek with the slide controls so no knobs anywhere

They can't keep the SEL R line on the lot. They typically only get in one maybe 2 at a time and they often are sold before the car even arrives.

Glad you had a good experience driving one.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
People usually complain about the budack cycle engine on the Tiguan, as it's not a particularly fast car, as it seems to lose steam rather quickly (after the burst of low end grunt from the turbo), as it has a slower 0-60 time compared to the RAV4, CR-V, and Forester.

I admit I, too, was skeptical of the power before driving it, but that typical VW 2.0T low-end torque really shined in urban and extra-urban driving. Would it effortlessly pass a squad of big-rigs going uphill @ 75mph? Can't say and it wasn't my use case. I forgot to add that I also enjoyed the fact that it's a turbo that drinks Regular!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Funny about the Captain Chairs vs. Bench discussion. I am on a Yukon/Suburban/Esclalade forum and there are as many people looking to swap one for another each way ... it is just they are spread out all over the country.

Dogs need a middle bench. Skis can go in a box on the roof.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Grateful for 18" vs. 19" wheels. A tad cheaper (but still not cheap!) for snows.
I always wonder why a tire with theoretically less rubber (19") costs more than one with more rubber (18"), diameter being the same. And those ridiculous 22, 23, and 24" tires are even more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always wonder why a tire with theoretically less rubber (19") costs more than one with more rubber (18"), diameter being the same. And those ridiculous 22, 23, and 24" tires are even more.
Tires have always been the way. The more popular size is less expensive than less popular ones. It's like a 26.5 boot would be less expensive than a 29.5.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tires have always been the way. The more popular size is less expensive than less popular ones. It's like a 26.5 boot would be less expensive than a 29.5.
At least a 29.5 has more material in it than a 26.5! With all the bigger-than-18 rims now I'd think the 18s would be less popular.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unless you're drag racing people on the way to the grocery store, 0-60 has to be one of the more meaningless statistics. Acceleration from 30-70 is much more important for day to day driving. Or 0-30 from a stoplight. Not too many opportunities to go from 0-60 day to day.
Over in SoCal, we have these things call traffic meters. When they are in operation, you have a traffic light that controls each lane that allows cars to merge in intervals. There are plenty of times when you need to get to 0-65 to match the speed of traffic that you're merging onto, when it's not deep into rush hour traffic and the traffic meters are still operational

1701119445541.png

Sponsor

Staff online