• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CSIA - Perry Schmunk is out???

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hearing a lot of interesting thoughts about PSIC. I want some confirmation before I post anything.
Ive heard a lot of things too. Not all bad either. A friend is doing a coaching course in January. Will see what he says

TS
S

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
I attended the PSIC LPT (L1 trainer) course in Whistler last weekend. Heard a lot of good things … they certainly talk a good game. But seeing is believing … let’s see what they actually deliver.

TS
S

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
PSIC just announced its “Big Mountain Pathway”. Given that most of PSIC’s brain trust is in BC & AB, it’s starting to look like a regional division between it and the CSIA that is shaped by terrain and geography, similar to PSIA-RM vs the rest of America.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know a few folks who were on the LPT course. They seemed to like it, but didn't get into details.

Overall, I'm not impressed, and doubt I'll switch. Lots of big talk without much to back it up. Plus it's for profit, to make money for Perry and Jeff.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I will say that the CSIA is not taking this lightly. Interski team members sign a contract for 3 years after Interski. They are to promote what they learned etc. CSIA not happy at all. (From my 1 course conductor this week.) Also CSIA not happy with North Face. So could be some changes there too. Someone described delivery method for courses. The course conductors are certified by PSIC to give the course, through the ski school. No "national" course conductors. I work our industry school (DHI) and we have a set of east and west instructors. Even in house courses you need to use one the national crew to get the students credentialed for that course. That way we know that there is a standard of delivery of the material. Not sure how this is going to pan out for PSIC.

Interesting times ahead as we all get on snow. Warren's camp in February should be interesting for more gossip/insights.

TS
S

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
More on PSIC’s “Big Mountain Pathway” … they’re partnering with Derek Froose (perennial instructor for Whistler’s Extremely Canadian program, founder and head coach of the Whistler Freeride Club, and key figure behind the Freeride World Tour). I was skeptical about PSIC before but this is a huge deal, especially in the hearts and minds of the new generation of skiers.

latitudes

Booting up
Skier
More on PSIC’s “Big Mountain Pathway” … they’re partnering with Derek Froose (perennial instructor for Whistler’s Extremely Canadian program, founder and head coach of the Whistler Freeride Club, and key figure behind the Freeride World Tour). I was skeptical about PSIC before but this is a huge deal, especially in the hearts and minds of the new generation of skiers.
CSIA has had some talk about a freestyle pathway; would love to see a freeride option develop as well. Starting point will be more diversity of skiing background on the TEC committee (i.e. not all racers).

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hear that several of the level 4's in Whistler have switched over to PSIC. I'm still a little perturbed that CSIA said you could not belong to both, I just believe if you have a good product you should not be afraid of a new one. A good product doesn't worry about another good product. My other concern is it's recognition by resorts and globally. Will a resort want to hire someone from "PSIC". Thanks for the podcast link, I'll have a listen.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
My boot fitter was contemplating it last fall (he's in WB for the winter). He was waiting to see who got hired as the general manager.
I do know that CSIA is not sitting still on this. They do have action plans going forward. Now that a new general manager has been hired, things should start to move forward with branding etc.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I find it interesting that PSIC seems to more interested in a discussion with their candidates/members as opposed to having a bunch of final forms, or a checklist, that they are evaluating good skiing with. Not sure how that's really going to work, but having a more open mind than what I see in PSIA, for example, seems like a very good idea to me.

I've decided not to go for my Level 3 because the examiners I've trained with have opinions of skiing that are contrary to those that I hold. For example, last week the trainer talked about trying to have equal pressure throughout the entire turn, which is obviously impossible. He could not relate to how one might wish to manipulate the timing, duration, and magnitude of pressure in a turn, calling such efforts either elements to correct a mistake or stupid tricks. I'd like to see him ski breakable crust with constant pressure. And my understanding of Level 3 is to be able to coach expert skiing. I can most assuredly guarantee you that many associations, and racers for that matter, want to affect the timing, duration, and magnitude of pressure.

Anyway, maybe PSIC will follow through an endorse/welcome concepts in skiing that come from outside the association. Personally, I think that there's a lot to be gained from looking at skiing in Austria, Italy, Japan, Korea, Canada, etc.

I don't need a level 3 certification. I intend to continue to work hard on my skiing and progress my adaptability and versatility. Not being focused on a certification pathway gives me a lot more freedom to work on the things that progress those goals as opposed to learning how to ski like some examiners seem to want. BTW, almost all of the demo team members that I ski with have different ideas than the examiners...

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I've decided not to go for my Level 3 because the examiners I've trained with have opinions of skiing that are contrary to those that I hold. For example, last week the trainer talked about trying to have equal pressure throughout the entire turn, which is obviously impossible.

Just curious, equal pressure of what?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
To be correct, it isn't pressure, but rather force. What the examiner/trainer suggested was that one should attempt to keep the force constant through all stages of the turn, not allowing it to increase or decrease.
As opposed to all at the finish makes sense to me :huh: .

NOTE: I wasn’t there so could be taking it out of context.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January