• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Sibhusky why do they do that? What's their purpose? What do they say when you confront them?
I thought it was a neighborhood road! (It's like 1.5 cars wide. Someone has to back up.)
I'm lost, is this Latigo?

Or, call out to me and ask the name of the road "It's my driveway." And then they repeat the question, pointing at the wheels of their car, and we go around like that. We wouldn't have any signs if it weren't an issue.

Basically, they are nosy tourons checking out real estate. They are never locals.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought it was a neighborhood road! (It's like 1.5 cars wide. Someone has to back up.)
I'm lost, is this Latigo?

Or, call out to me and ask the name of the road "It's my driveway." And then they repeat the question, pointing at the wheels of their car, and we go around like that. We wouldn't have any signs if it weren't an issue.

Basically, they are nosy tourons checking out real estate. They are never locals.

This happens to my parents in NM all the time and people say it is Google maps trying to lead them over the mountain. One day they woke up to a whole tour bus trying to back down their "do not drive" driveway.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This happens to my parents in NM all the time and people say it is Google maps trying to lead them over the mountain. One day they woke up to a whole tour bus trying to back down their "do not drive" driveway.
My grandparents used to have people who would sneak onto their property to fish from their pond. Mind you, they originally stocked the pond and then kept it up so that the fish sourcing was healthy. Those people were as good as stealing. One day my grandma yelled out the back window of the house, "If you don't want a hole shot in your radiator, you better leave now."
A couple days later, one of the guys knocked on her door and told her that he'd gotten out of there so fast because he wasn't sure if she'd really shoot, so he left his fishing pole. He said if she did shoot at his radiator, he didn't want to get shot if she missed.

Her response, " I don't miss." as she handed him back his pole. She told him to take his pole and spread the word that their pond was not for open fishing.

The crazy thing is, my grandparents were amazingly friendly and would have let anyone fish there if they just got friendly and didn't try to sneak around. Why not become friends??

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something my dad told my when I was really little.....

Son, don’t use rock salt too dangerous, could serious harm/kill someone at close range, use pigs bristles as they only get under the skin, but takes painful weeks to come back out.

Apparently this was an old European country thing, never did ask how he knew. This was well prior to us owning a good chunk of land. But I do know after the war as a young kid he got into some strange situations.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bridge-Out-Ahead-Bridge-Sign-K-9785.gif

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Speaking of which, I just had FIVE CAR LOADS (pickups, SUVs) show up full of people wanting to play laser tag. Some outfit has a contract with the logging company to run these events, and there's no signs or anything telling people where to go. Husband is ticked.

By the way, this is at 7PM. And a mountain lion was spotted 1.3 miles from here earlier today.

And yeah, they drove by three No Trespassing signs before I saw them.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The crazy thing is, my grandparents were amazingly friendly and would have let anyone fish there if they just got friendly and didn't try to sneak around. Why not become friends??
This is kind of a funny thing..for instance, you have a neighbour who has taken to repairing lots of cars in his driveway until 1am. Do you call by-law or walk over and ask him to stop? It's a tricky thing... I've had friends who are on the mechanic-side of things (just illustration, it wasn't actually a car mechanic thing..) and they're getting heated with me as I explain the other side to them. Goodness knows how that discussion turns out.

scott43

Skier
Speaking of which, I just had FIVE CAR LOADS (pickups, SUVs) show up full of people wanting to play laser tag. Some outfit has a contract with the logging company to run these events, and there's no signs or anything telling people where to go. Husband is ticked.

By the way, this is at 7PM. And a mountain lion was spotted 1.3 miles from here earlier today.

And yeah, they drove by three No Trespassing signs before I saw them.
Sounds like you need one of these..
latest

scott43

Skier
True story..my buddy was taking a boat up some backwater river in the middle of f'ing nowhere in northern Ontario. The only thing he was real sure of was he was on Crown land (gov't land..). So he comes around a bend and there's a "compound" with a sort of flagpole and a few fellas on the shore yelling at them to turn around or it's going to be their ass. So my buddy is going up with 3 other fellas for moose...they have 5 long rifles, one being a semi-auto, one being a shotgun. And the folks on shore, as they get closer are yelling "We're going to put holes in your ass!! Get moving on back!!" Craziest thing.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
They were all getting out of their cars, milling around, staring at their phones. It took me coming out saying, "Can I help you with something?" to get them out of here. Like I really like coming out to confront that many strangers in the evening.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One good shooting with pigs bristles will have your driveway to be post as dangerous crazy person with a gun, do not enter. :eek:

Problem solved. :D.

@Sibhusky to be avoided on a private trail :roflmao:.

Seriously, I sympathize with your frustration. Don’t let them get you upset too much.

James

Out There
Instructor
True story..my buddy was taking a boat up some backwater river in the middle of f'ing nowhere in northern Ontario. The only thing he was real sure of was he was on Crown land (gov't land..). So he comes around a bend and there's a "compound" with a sort of flagpole and a few fellas on the shore yelling at them to turn around or it's going to be their ass. So my buddy is going up with 3 other fellas for moose...they have 5 long rifles, one being a semi-auto, one being a shotgun. And the folks on shore, as they get closer are yelling "We're going to put holes in your ass!! Get moving on back!!" Craziest thing.
That was Neil Young and his mom.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

Not sure about Canada, but in most US states, the navigable waterways are public. It's only when you step onto the land that you can be trespassing. So those people could not legally impede boat traffic (in Oregon) because the waterway is public. Even if they own the land on both sides of the river.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure about Canada, but in most US states, the navigable waterways are public. It's only when you step onto the land that you can be trespassing. So those people could not legally impede boat traffic (in Oregon) because the waterway is public. Even if they own the land on both sides of the river.
This is the case in Canada as well, in addition there is a slight allowance for land access to ensure if you have seafaring issues (ie sinking or need shelter during a storm it is allowed).

The exception is if all the land around the water is owned thereby preventing access, ensures non access.

I believe world wide this is the case as it dates back to the worlds seafaring days and has something to do about safe passage laws. How well these are followed and universally acknowledged is another matter because economic, political, power and greed issues.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get Rattled just posted this video from the Arizona Game and Fish Department of a bobcat and rattle snake encounter
If embed doesn't work for you, go here.
I thought it looked like a mountain lion at first.

Sponsor

Staff online