• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Costco and Sam's Club, how I love thee....

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
And you guys have BJ's Wholesale which is also a great option, I had a membership there when I was in DelCo/ChesterCo.
But in a real and tangible way, all these clubs in Chesco are just "meh" when there is no beer, wine or liquor for sale.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
We love all the organic food available for a reasonable price at Costco.

No way we would eat this much organic otherwise.

View attachment 36183

I'm filling up with what is almost always the cheapest gas in town. I don't even bother checking anymore.
What, no organic wings in that basket, for shame!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But in a real and tangible way, all these clubs in Chesco are just "meh" when there is no beer, wine or liquor for sale.
Yeah what's with that, we have wine and beer in our supermarkets? The better PA state Wine Shops in my neighborhood don't appear to be less busy then prior to.

Last edited:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah what's with that, we have wine and beer in our supermarkets?
In Pennsylvania, only the state is allowed to sell wine and spirits, and you have to go to special stores to buy cases of beer and kegs. We can now go to supermarkets to purchase smaller amounts of beer and possibly wine.Totally un-American! It's like we live in Kekistan.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In Pennsylvania, only the state is allowed to sell wine and spirits, and you have to go to special stores to buy cases of beer and kegs. We can now go to supermarkets to purchase smaller amounts of beer and possibly wine.Totally un-American! It's like we live in Kekistan.
Ah ok, so it's the quanity, and Costco being Costco would sell cases of wine and beer rather then the bottle of wine/beer and six-pack.
I guess you can tell I'm not a big drinker ... no wonder why I never seem to have enough skier friends:(

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
You got that right ! Near Seven Springs we looked all over Somerset PA for beer. Finding none we had to ask -you have to find a "package store". The only one in town was the Pizza Hut drive-thru. LOL Bedford PA we had to go to a converted gas station only selling beer by the case.

Here you can get Jack Daniels at most gas stations or any Drug store etc. Buy 6 and get a big discount. I'm convinced our nearby CVS sells more alcohol than drugs.
:toast:cocktail::beercheer:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It hasn't changed, huh? We owned a bar back in the 1980's and we were only allowed to sell 144 oz of beer at a time for take out. Someone would come in to buy a case of beer and we could only sell them 2 six packs at a time. They would have to make 2 trips to buy a case. What was worse was the monopoly on beer, if we wanted Budweiser, we were only allowed to buy it from once source, we were not allowed to buy it from a different distributor. So what ever that distributor wanted to charge, we had no other options. The same with every brand.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
It hasn't changed, huh? We owned a bar back in the 1980's and we were only allowed to sell 144 oz of beer at a time for take out. Someone would come in to buy a case of beer and we could only sell them 2 six packs at a time. They would have to make 2 trips to buy a case. What was worse was the monopoly on beer, if we wanted Budweiser, we were only allowed to buy it from once source, we were not allowed to buy it from a different distributor. So what ever that distributor wanted to charge, we had no other options. The same with every brand.
Yeah, it's crazy. We go to Ocean City, NJ every year. It's a dry town and the closest liquor store is Circle Liquor. That store is cheaper than buying in PA. Crazy!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We forgot to make these yesterday, but this a seasonal favorite of ours....
We get the black things from Costco...

IMG_20180101_163936.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, it's crazy. We go to Ocean City, NJ every year. It's a dry town and the closest liquor store is Circle Liquor. That store is cheaper than buying in PA. Crazy!
Ha, you guys have it good, Ontario Canada the prices are even worse. Almost makes you want to stop drinking.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Oh so familiar with this. I went to college in Easton, PA, which is on the eastern border of PA and NJ. We used to drive across the bridge (Delaware River) to Phillipsburg, NJ to buy our booze. Cheaper, unlimited variety/quantities, and open on Sundays.
:beercheer:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Ha, you guys have it good, Ontario Canada the prices are even worse. Almost makes you want to stop drinking.
That's just crazy talk!

Costco here is worth it for basics like bread, milk, butter. Can't be beat for tires and batteries. Also good for competition. A similar town an hour and a half down the road with no Costco has noticeably higher prices for basics. And gas, if there is a gas dispensary at the local Costco, it's gas will be cheaper. Gasoline in Sudbury Ontario is 10 cents a litre more expensive than anywhere else within a few hundred kilometers. Even the local no-name type stores are in on the unspoken agreement.

Costco makes up for low prices on many items by providing other expensive stuff you don't need, but may want. Most Costco stores in Ontario have good meat.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh so familiar with this. I went to college in Easton, PA, which is on the eastern border of PA and NJ. We used to drive across the bridge (Delaware River) to Phillipsburg, NJ to buy our booze. Cheaper, unlimited variety/quantities, and open on Sundays.
Lafayette?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's just crazy talk!

Costco here is worth it for basics like bread, milk, butter. Can't be beat for tires and batteries. Also good for competition. A similar town an hour and a half down the road with no Costco has noticeably higher prices for basics. And gas, if there is a gas dispensary at the local Costco, it's gas will be cheaper. Gasoline in Sudbury Ontario is 10 cents a litre more expensive than anywhere else within a few hundred kilometers. Even the local no-name type stores are in on the unspoken agreement.

Costco makes up for low prices on many items by providing other expensive stuff you don't need, but may want. Most Costco stores in Ontario have good meat.

Regular gas is ~ $.10/galllon cheaper, but premium gad is $.40.gallon cheaper at the Costcos around here.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

I live in Philly, and it still a very common practice to cross the river to buy both booze and gas. Pa. beer only stores are pretty competitive with NJ, the infamous Pa State Stores are doing a lot more discounting, they have a website http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com listing monthly sales, some of which are very good prices, but, nowhere near as good as Costco in other states where they are permitted to sell booze.

Back to the OP, Costco is just not a convenient ride for me, Sam's Club is close, but, we can't feel any love for the place, at least for our specific needs. My wife is the ultimate shopper, queen of coupons.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Woman returns christmass tree "because it's dead" -

http://abc7.com/society/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree-to-costco-in-january/2929173/

2928357_630x354.jpg

Scott Bentley said he was irate after watching a woman return a dead Christmas tree for a full refund (Credit: Scott Bentley/Facebook via WKRN)

Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:10AM
While many of us were trying to figure out where to discard our Christmas trees, one woman decided to return hers.

On Jan 4., the woman reportedly took her tree to a Santa Clarita Costco asking for a refund because her tree died.

One shopper, who was waiting in line behind the woman, was so blown away that he posted about the exchange on his Facebook page.

"I can't make this stuff up," Scott Bentley wrote. "Woman in line at Costco, totally nonchalant, to return her Christmas tree 'because it is dead' on January 4."
The man even shamed Costco for allowing the "ridiculous" return to occur and the woman for asking for her money back.

"Heartbreaking to think she may have needed that money so much, she lost all self respect and dignity for it."

Surprisingly, Costco did issue the woman a refund, Bentely said in his post.

The woman still hasn't been identified; however, she did give shoppers on social media a new idea for next year.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January