• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Clean up in the parking lot

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first time I took a ride on a dusty mountain bike trail, about 16 years ago, the friend I was riding with had a box of baby wipes to clean up before we went out for a bite to eat after the ride.
I didn't like the sticky feeling of the soapy content of baby wipes or the smell. Yuck!

I started taking a wash cloth in a ziplock bag with water to avoid the smells or feel of baby wipes. Since then(in an interest of avoiding single use plastic) I started taking a wash cloth in a rubbermaid bowl with water to do the same thing. This works for me for the average day when I will end up at home and a shower soon, but I think I could use more on those days where I ride before I go to work.

Has anyone used the Shower Pill?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
'single use' is a marketing scheme to get you to use more product, just like 'rinse and repeat'

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's going to be awhile before I can get to a shower (like a couple of hours because I've ridden in the mountains) and I plan to stop with friends for a bite to eat then on a rare occasion I'll bring a wet wash cloth in a ziploc bag. If it's hot out I'll put that in a cooler with ice as the coolness feels good as well. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll grab the disposable face cleaning wipes that I use when I travel. Otherwise I just don't worry about it. I'm certainly not paying $1 per wipe when I can get 25 wipes for half the price.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll usually switch shirts and clean up in the restroom of the restaurant. I also keep a small roll of paper towels in my vehicle.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Seriously, does no one follow CX?

Go to Home Depot and get a plastic spray pump like for pesticide application. Fill it with water. Use it on the bike or on you, as needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-2-Gal-Multi-Use-Sprayer-190499/300259167

You only need wipes for sensitive bits. No, not those sensitive bits, around the eyes.

+1.

On top of this...if you buy the standard home depot version you can rig it in such a way to use it for seating tubeless tires. In case you don't carry an air compressor around.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why I barefoot water ski. Exercise and bath at same time. I used to take warm water and shampoo and clean at the boat landing. Easier for guy, I know.

Now I just shower before I leave to go skiing. That has helped me. Otherwise disposable face wipes work on trips we take.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, does no one follow CX?

Go to Home Depot and get a plastic spray pump like for pesticide application. Fill it with water. Use it on the bike or on you, as needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-2-Gal-Multi-Use-Sprayer-190499/300259167

You only need wipes for sensitive bits. No, not those sensitive bits, around the eyes.

Serious face palm over here. I live in a condo without an outdoor spigot so bike cleaning is challenging. This is a game changer. :doh::yahoo:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Umm, what's CX?

images.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the clarification. I shoulda know. I did one CX race 20 years ago on a Raleigh 3 speed. I was 'required' to do it by the bike shop I raced for so I chose my stead to be specifically non-competitive. Plus I was horribly hungover. Unusual for me, but I remember that day vividly.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I'll stick to the wash cloth in a reusable plastic container.
@coskigirl I used to use ziplock bags with my wash cloth, but I'm trying to make an effort to use less single use plastic. About a month ago I was getting a bag out and thought. Doh, why not just use a rubbermaid dish? Its easier to rinse out the wash cloth and eliminates one more disposable plastic thing from my life.
Little by little.
This is also a reason to not use the product I linked above, but I am intrigued by the promise of eliminating odor and bacteria.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just always have those microfiber rags in my car, which I pour a little water from my water bottle on, and take a ho-bath that way. I also carry a pack of Kirkland unscented baby wipes, which are ALWAYS handy to have around (hey, it's a mom thing.) I also have a skirt for rides where I'm going out after, or have a long drive home.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I'll stick to the wash cloth in a reusable plastic container.
@coskigirl I used to use ziplock bags with my wash cloth, but I'm trying to make an effort to use less single use plastic. About a month ago I was getting a bag out and thought. Doh, why not just use a rubbermaid dish? Its easier to rinse out the wash cloth and eliminates one more disposable plastic thing from my life.
Little by little.
This is also a reason to not use the product I linked above, but I am intrigued by the promise of eliminating odor and bacteria.

Makes sense. I wonder if you could do a two step process with an anti-bacterial solution of some sort on one wash cloth in one container then a plain water in another? I'm thinking the solution could be water with isopropyl alcohol, witch hazel, or maybe even tea tree oil?

Sponsor

Staff online