• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing the correct poles

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something I learned at a extremely high level of sport (being at the World Cup Level) was if it works and accomplishes that task required it is right for that individual.

What is being taught (or thought) as correct for the majority is good, but advancements occur by those that do not conform to the standard.

No matter what you choose it is about compromises and choosing those that give the best return with the least negative impact.

In short there is no real right or real wrong, just it works extremely well or it doesn't.

My point was it works extremely well for me (yes I've had other good instructors and coaches review my skiing). I am not suggesting that others use long poles, just understand why if they are going to consider it, and fairly why shorter ones for their reasons.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am one of those who prefers them a little bit shorter. (112 slalom, 118 GS and 125 SG/DH) Personal favorite is Swix race carbon poles. After using them every other pole feels heavy!!! What I never understand is those who dont use the pole straps. To me that is an integral part of it and the only way to be able to maximize the valiue of the pole.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like my poles short for downhill, and long for uphill........... however....... my long is definitely short.......... but the long and the short of it is, if you're in the woods or dropping any thing substantial...... meaning over a few inches in height........ watch your grip! If your pole gets caught on a tree or stuck on the ridge or cornice you're dropping, when you release your grip the pole needs to fall off freely from your hand ........ STRONGLY recommend that we don't wrap the pole around your wrist......... just around your palms. That way when you release...... the pole just floats away w/o taking your shoulder w/ it! OUCH!!!!!!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When a customer comes into the shop I tend to show them a couple basic poles that have a couple different types of grips and pole construction (aluminum, carbon composite...)
Between the swing weight of the shape and construction, and the feel of the grip in the individual's hand, they can usually pick the correct pole.

Recently I had a surgeon come into the shop who was looking for poles. The minute I showed him the LEKI Trigger Grip, he was sold. His peace of mind with the way the LEKI Trigger works was enough to pay the extra $$ as insurance for his profession.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Minor Considerations:

Shorter ones for bumps and park. Longer ones for BC and NASTAR. Medium (right angle elbow when planting them at the side skis on) for regular trail skiing.

Breakaway straps for trees/BC skiing too.

Most important attributes:

They HAVE to match the color of the skis you use them with,

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
When a customer comes into the shop I tend to show them a couple basic poles that have a couple different types of grips and pole construction (aluminum, carbon composite...)
Between the swing weight of the shape and construction, and the feel of the grip in the individual's hand, they can usually pick the correct pole.

Recently I had a surgeon come into the shop who was looking for poles. The minute I showed him the LEKI Trigger Grip, he was sold. His peace of mind with the way the LEKI Trigger works was enough to pay the extra $$ as insurance for his profession.

I have heard a number of stories of LEKI triggers not releasing during a fall and causing thumb injuries.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First of all, the answer is GrassSticks. Purty, don't make your body parts cold on the lift, and perfect swing weight (a term I never understood until I used this pole).

So, what about the straps? Last I looked it appeared that the straps were not adjustable. Deal breaker for me. I want a strap, not some floppy strap-shaped decor.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, what about the straps? Last I looked it appeared that the straps were not adjustable. Deal breaker for me. I want a strap, not some floppy strap-shaped decor.

Dunno. I always want my strap at the longest setting. They replaced the original straps I have with something else. You could ask. I'm sure @dean_spirito or @Ron know.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the strap can be setup to a desired length but not on the fly.

BTW- there's a bit of a myth that that not using straps (or the LEKI triggers for that matter) will prevent tearing your UCL (skiers thumb). I have torn my ucl 2x while not wearing straps. I dont wear straps but would never wear straps skiing trees out of concern of dislocation or worse injury .

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Everyone is going shorter these days.
I liked the Scott race pole straps with velcro adjustment and one side wide. Easy to adjust, simple, has a pre formed loop. I think they're changing it to something worse.

The length issue. Any one who's skied for a while knows... They've been visited by the equivalent of Moses, seen the burning bush, read the stone tablet. Pole upside down, hold underneath grip, your arm is at a right angle. Suggest anything else and you're a climate denier, hate animals, or think cigarettes are good for your health because they kill germs. But wait, are you wearing ski boots, or standing in bindings when you do the right angle test? Ah details...People are open to ski length input but totalky certain about pole length for some reason.

If your lost about poles, about the only "requirement" I'd say is that the top of the grip can fit easily in your palm. And you like them - swing weight, looks, feel. For kids this probably means a race pole as regular ones have an absurdly large top that's bigger than an eye socket. Apparently 7 year olds that race don't have this prob but all the rest are jamming it in their eyes on a regular basis.(Never seen it, but did have a 10 yr old give herself a bloody nose from planting)

If the top is large you can't do a Bullfighter turn, push from behind, or do other things with the pole in the palm. This is a serious deficiency. But if you've seen the burning bush and know otherwise, carry on.

If you're renting poles, you may not believe it, but they did not use a super computer to figure out the perfect pole length for you. If you're at the mt, you can easily exchange for a different size during the day. Some kids show up with poles 10-12 inches too long. Kids are apparently excempt from the words on the stone tablet. As long as they can grow into them.

Straps or the strapless connection?

There are two types of skiers...

Those that like straps, and those that like that LEKI thing. (Well there's a third- those that like that open C shape bintage plastic grip. The advantage there is you can hang them on the safety bar of the chairlift. And then there's no straps for avalanche and tree zones).

The LEKI System people clip in as if they're about to fly some sort of very advanced plane only they can see. Which is true, only they can see it. Psa: no one cares you have a weird connection with your poles. Except the shop that'll charge you $40 for a new system strap when you loose it.

Actually LEKI should be sued for discriminating against strap users.

They make some really nice poles then stick that system on it. Throwing a bone to those of us who just can't see that invisible flying craft, there's some sort of cockamamy strap conversion offered. It's usually siting in a dusty bag in the bottom of the drawer that holds the shop's loaner socks for boot fitting. Don't worry, they won't actually hand you a bag nestled under fermenting socks, factory sealed with disdain by Hans who can't fathom someone not wanting the LEKI system. Like the users on the slopes who consider themselves to have evolved past us Neanderthal strap users. "Why would anyone want to use regular straps?" they wonder, as if pole straps are like driving a car with stone wheels.

Well before the moment that strap conversion bag is produced you'll be given six ways from Sunday why this system will change your life, make you a better skier, a better human, more efficient. Modern. Surely this is obvious to any conscious person.

At that point you'll either start seeing the spaceship, or you'll wonder wtf, (John Goodman in Big Lebowski), "Has the whole world gone crazy??" Your gloves or mittens will now be required to have bondage wear to interface with the System. The truly evolved have the special gloves with the interface built in. Now they're flying the spaceship with mind control. No garrish bondage wear, no forgetting the extra piece you now have to bring to the mtn, very discreet. But forget the special gloves, forget the connection to your poles. Oh but wait... You could buy the bondage wear to stash in your bag in case you forget the special gloves or want to use those nice puffy down mittens. The truly evolved think of everything.

If by now you're certain Major Tom is a junky and decline the shop persons offer to join the evolved in their enslavement to the LEKI System. Oh right, it's 'freedom from straps', duh. The shop guy will say, "We have other poles...(for the mentally challenged)."

Straps that don't adjust?

Grass sticks- you've been smoking too much weed. Adjustment matters. Spring, winter, gloves, mittens are all different sizes. Hemp only matters to Woody Harrelson. He can make his own poles and smoke those. We've also known for centuries that hemp shrinks when wet.

(I've heard they changed the Grass Sticks. The swing weight was vastly superior to the Soul Poles also made of bamboo. I may get a pair if the straps are acceptable.)

Aluminum or carbon?
-whatever.

Light weight poles are nice. But it is all about the swing weight. Years ago when I was dislocating my shoulder nearly once a month, I bought some of those Goode pencil thin graphite poles. Mainly because they were somewhat flexible. These replaced the gold standard of vintage poles- Kerma late 70's racing poles with clear grips over gold foil and leather straps with a brilliant and simple breakaway clip. That simple idea has never been equaled despite 40 years of progress. (Oh wait, LEKI leap frogged over that with their System. Duh).

But the swing weight of the Goode wasn't good for a pole probably half the weight of the now ancient Kerma. The Goode felt heavy. The Kerma was heavy but had a nice swing weight. The flexible idea never kept the shoulder from poping out. They are strong though. I once bent @Bob Barnes pole nearly in half just after losing a ski and clinging to the Cirque at Snowmass.

The weakness to carbon poles is hitting the bottoms with your edges. This can greatly weaken them. The coup de grace for my Goodes was playing ski golf with a crushed can in the spring one year. At some point I swung and the bottom of the pole went somewhere else. The tips had already been fixed under warranty. Ski golf wasn't covered by the warranty.

I've also sheared an aluminum pole in half on a very cold day. I went to whack a clump of snow that looked like ginger bread frosting. It was frozen hard as a rock. After the whack the bottom of the pole flipped up in the air.

There is a lost text somewhere that decreed real skiers use heavy poles and not that namby pamby light stuff. I know, ilight poles are a luxury and really you should be dumpster diving for poles. Well if your skis came out of the dumpster you should definitely be consistent and start diving for poles.

It is true that real skiers should be able to rip a couple of branches off a tree and with a little duct tape or proper rope (ie not hemp), make poles to ski with. Those felling ash trees, steaming the planks for camber, or out on the ice floes clubbing baby seals to make their own Stocklis should not be buying aluminum or carbon poles.

Aluminum can have strength benefits for whacking snow off boots, fending off tree branches, or not worrying about throwing them in a car or loading in a bag for the airplane gorillas to throw around.

Carbon or graphite can be really light. Some use both aluminum and graphite/carbon. If you ski with kids a lot I'd go with aluminum and save the carbons for other skiing. Kids boots need whacking a lot to clear snow.

Aluminum poles with straps can be turned into snow chimes on flat trails. Just let the poles dangle from your wrists and just hit the ground. It makes a nice sound. The LEKI flyers can't do that.

The worst pole I ever used was a Rossignol branded rental. It must have been made of some unbreakable plastic. After you pole touched the thing would wobble as a standing wave was created in the shaft.It was so distracting and irritating. Usually the problem with rentals is the dinner plate on top of the grip.

These days they're making some very pretty colored poles. Nothing wrong with that. Get a few for different outfits.
The stone tablet did say that colorful pokes are for kids and idiots... But it's 2017.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I shot Andrew a email for clarification on the straps but for those who like adjustable straps, do you want to adjust them every 10 minutes, or just to get them setup to your prefered length? I use my straps to loop over the top of my skis when they are on the rack. Otherwise, i see no value.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Grass sticks- you've been smoking too much weed. Adjustment matters. Spring, winter, gloves, mittens are all different sizes. Hemp only matters to Woody Harrelson. He can make his own poles and smoke those. We've also known for centuries that hemp shrinks when wet.

They changed this. They're no longer using hemp. But I don't have any issue with my hemp straps.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is LEKI the only pole vendor that still offers breakaway straps on some of its models? I have some really old Kermas and some late 90s early 00s Goode Carbons that have a strap design that is rock solid with downward force planting and pushing but come loose when pulled quickly/strongly up or away for falls, lift jams, and tree grabs. Does nobody but LEKI still offer that feature these days??

Other than that, color combo is the main factor for me. Gotta match at least two colors of the ski. Black alone isn't goode enough..

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
is there any proven efficacy of the break-aways? i dont see it. when you fall on your pole handle with an outstretched hand its a flat-impact.

James

Out There
Instructor
I shot Andrew a email for clarification on the straps but for those who like adjustable straps, do you want to adjust them every 10 minutes, or just to get them setup to your prefered length? I use my straps to loop over the top of my skis when they are on the rack. Otherwise, i see no value.
Spring gloves are very thin- smaller strap. Enourmous down mittens need a longer strap. If you do the "safe thing in the woods and put the strap around the palm, that's small.
But no, i don't constantly adjust, but why do I need a different pole if I want to. Easier to buy one that adjusts.

It's 2017. Why are we going backwards?

I skied without straps for at least a season. I found I developed odd hand movements. A loose grip on the handle is good esp for non competitive mogul skiing. That is one advantage of the LEKI system.

In Europe poles with no straps but padded grips well down the shaft are popular for off piste. Very steep terrain you choke up -or down really, on the uphill hand on traverses. Plus no straps for avalanches.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
all good points! :thumb: (UCL thumb up :) )

maybe I should use them since not using them hasn't helped apparently

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
My poles are 20 years old.. one of the baskets are bent a bit, lots of dings and paint chips and big arse grips on the end, which is good because I have big gloves, and i don't need to hold them tightly.. They're heavy i guess.. but i can't bend the damn things.. so that's good.. they're a bit long but I like em that way as I have to skate often.. or end up leaning on em while waiting for the kids to get further down the hill before catching up to them.. I've been looking at newer poles.. but meh.. I hardly use the damn things except to skate with.. and even then.. they're not really needed.. just used for minor balance adjustments on occasion

This whole swing weight adjustable thing.. i dunno.. seems kinda like over-thinking it a bit to me.. but then again i'm 99.9% time on the groomers.. and don't race.. and well got some sexy forearms, so my wife tells me anyway.. Farming will do that to you I guess.

I'm tall enough that my feet touch the ground and my poles are long enough to work the same way.. Some days I think I carry them around with me while i'm skiing so my hands and arms don't get bored. :huh:

Maybe if i lived somewhere where skiing was more interesting they'd be worth geeking out over.. i dunno. seems more like a fashion accessory, which to some is important... I guess. Old ones are just fine.. rather spend my ski budget on skis.. or boots or.. well lift tickets.. or scotch.. speaking of scotch.. i take it all back.. I want those poles that hold liquor... little nip of brandy on the lift.. now we're talkin.. :beercheer:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
is there any proven efficacy of the break-aways? i dont see it. when you fall on your pole handle with an outstretched hand its a flat-impact.

A sideways rolling fall where your pole gets sucked under is when the straps have popped loose for me... It saved the pole from being bent or broken more than my thumb or wrist. I've also had basked snags leave the pole behind in a tree and have the strap still on the wrist. So, yes, they have proven functional in both saving the pole from bending/breaking in a fall and saving my arm/shoulder stress when snagged on something skiing past.

I wonder if cones above the baskets would also prevent shoulder snagged pole incidents??

Two things I really miss on newer poles are a fatter grip and soft but thick leather straps. It was difficult for me to mostly retire my older poles when my quiver of newer ones all have nylon straps, some have sorta fat grips, but not as good as the old Kerma ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online