• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing the correct poles

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How does one go about picking the right ski poles?

The main thing I ever hear is "flip it upside down, hold just under the basket, and your arm bend should be slightly less than 90°"

I would have to think there is more to it than that. Am I supposed to do the flip it and grip it routine when I'm in sock feet, sneakers, ski boots, or something else? What about flex? Weight? Strap?

I want to know more about it for the education of it but I personally am looking for a the right poles for myself. So how do I choose?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
in your ski boots or shoes that have similar sole height. many people use a pole that is a couple inches shorter than the "90*" thing (mine are). its a matter of preference though. grips are also personal preference as are straps. (i dont use straps) I like grips that aren't slippery and have a nice tactile, softer feel. I also like a carbon or bamboo shafts (grass sticks) that has a light but stiff flex that has an easy feel; flickable, good even swing weight. You may also look for replaceable baskets for varying needs. Some people like adjustable poles too which are nice especially when you aren't sure of the length you want or ski in varying terrain.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
in your ski boots or shoes that have similar sole height. many people use a pole that is a couple inches shorter than the "90*" thing (mine are). its a matter of preference though. grips are also personal preference as are straps. (i dont use straps) I like grips that aren't slippery and have a nice tactile, softer feel. I also like a carbon or bamboo shafts (grass sticks) that has a light but stiff flex that has an easy feel; flickable, good even swing weight. You may also look for replaceable baskets for varying needs. Some people like adjustable poles too which are nice especially when you aren't sure of the length you want or ski in varying terrain.

What's the weight difference between the Grass Sticks and a decent pair of carbon poles? I'd like to get a set, mostly cause they are funky. But, every time I try new poles, they seem heavier than my 16 year old Kerma carbon poles, so i inevitably switch back to those (despite not like the strap that are on them).

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
they are close, a bit heavier but the swing weight is dialed. its just perfect so i dont mind them being a little heavier. please you can order them to the exact length preferred.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot of personal preference here. When in doubt, go a hair short rather than long.

I know plenty of people who think it's a waste to pay for anything other than yard sale poles. I happen to like the LEKI trigger grip system and think it's worth paying for (on sale). In particular I like the carbon 14s.

Don't like adjustable poles because ... why make something light and simple complicated and heavy?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Don't like adjustable poles because ... why make something light and simple complicated and heavy?

They were an excellent way to figure out my preferred pole length (which is much shorter than charts would indicate).

First of all, the answer is GrassSticks. Purty, don't make your body parts cold on the lift, and perfect swing weight (a term I never understood until I used this pole).

Length is partly personal preference. I've noticed that my preferred length is great for 3D snow, but is awfully short for groomers, which I am now skiing. On a related note, compare the pole lengths of ski racers vs competitive bump skiers. In general, when I'm watching people from the lift, I see a lot of beginners and intermediates with poles that are too long, resulted in backseat skiing or some strange arm movements to get the pole around. I don't believe I've ever seen a beginner or intermediate whose pole is too short.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot of personal preference here. When in doubt, go a hair short rather than long.

I know plenty of people who think it's a waste to pay for anything other than yard sale poles. I happen to like the LEKI trigger grip system and think it's worth paying for (on sale). In particular I like the carbon 14s.

I have a pair of Black Diamond carbon adjustables that are almost my favorite poles. They are both light and simple, great swing weight. I have a pair of LEKI hiking poles, also carbon and adjustable, that are the biggest PITA of my life. (ok that was hyperbolic) And I don't really like that LEKI glove-pole thing .... ogwink

So, yes, I am wholeheartedly agreeing with your first statement.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
IMo go alot a shorter....

Pole touches are just for looks 90 percent of the time of Groomers, and where it count in off piste skiing you generally are retracting and in bump you pole is generally hitting a spot higher than your skis.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
IMo go alot a shorter....

Pole touches are just for looks 90 percent of the time of Groomers, and where it count in off piste skiing you generally are retracting and in bump you pole is generally hitting a spot higher than your skis.

I've been thinking about this pole thing. I basically never use my poles on groomers, but I'd like to teach, maybe next season, and I think I might need longer poles to do a good job demonstrating on groomers.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as short vs. long, it's a lot easier to cut down poles that are too long than it is to make short ones longer.

As we say here in NM, "I cut it twice and it's still too short."

That said, I like my poles shorter than the ol' "grab 'em under the basket when they're upside down with a 90* bent arm."

Aaannnd, adjustable poles are not, by any stretch, all heavy and clunky. Check Black Diamond and DPS Carbon ones out. My DPS poles are fabulous:
http://www.dpsskis.com/en/nori-pole-355.html
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-poles/razor-carbon-pro-BD111553_cfg.html

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the only down-side to adjustables is when skiing trees, the bramble catches the clasp and you lose the bottom of your pole....... :( true story

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I like straps and carbon fibre. I measured my poles to the size with boots on. Since I buy my stuff at sample sales from the rep's I have learned how to cut down carbon fibre poles. My Goode's always said "oode". And I do like a comfortable grip. I understand about the straps and trees, but my time in trees is limited here in the east. If I didn't have the straps on, I'd probably be looking for poles.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Jr poles. If I need to skate just flip them under my palms. Besides you don't really need poles to skate unless your on a hurry. Side note: There must be 4ft of snow in the front yard.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier

Similar story. I like poles a bit shorter than the standard 'upside down' test suggests. I'm 6'4". After much trial and error I'm ok on 125cm poles, but prefer to cut down some 130cm poles so they're 128cm. I don't use the straps. Prefer contoured grips. Prefer grips without that huge mushroom top that some models have. Ad I prefer a stiffer pole, rather than the whippy feel of some of the graphite/carbon models.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
1) You can always cut a pole shorter, but it is more difficult to make a pole longer!
2) The skis and bindings add height over just wearing street shoes!
3) If you are not racing or skiing moguls for a living, being a bit on the long side won't hurt since you can always angle the poles an inch or so to the outside when planting to make up for the extra length.
4) If you are always in the bumps and flexed you will likely want a shorter pole. How short? Do you reach for your pole plants or wait for the bumps to hit your pole plant? Whatever...you will know what you want soon enough.
5) Popping the grips to cut down a pole is easy. If you don't want to do the door jam method (and mess up you good doors) simply heat the grips and they will pull off. You can put the grips in a plastic bag and then into a pot of boiling water, or carefully use a heat gun, or whatever. Cut a graphite pole similar to a graphite golf shaft. Wrap the part to be cut in blue or masking tape to prevent splintering and use an appropriate saw to make the cut. To cut an aluminum pole either use a tube cutter or a saw. An old golf grip or inner tube will protect the shaft when placed in a vice.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I like my black diamond adjustable poles (oval tube shape). They serve me as my hiking poles in the summer as well. Here is a pic of me using them a few days ago with the optional powder baskets installed (they screw on/off)

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 8.34.36 AM.png

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally, I like longer poles. When skiing steeps in difficult conditions that exra reach makes it easy not to get too far forward. For a good power skate the longer pole is great. For swing wt and stiffness I prefer top end race poles as they tend to be extremely stiff and durable (my only poles up to 2 years ago are 35 years old, straight, despite serious abuse over the years).

Downside is how you pole plant into turns, here a big debate starts, for me depending on stance it can be a proper plant to a pole to a drag/touch. I've been told I ski poles too long, I've tried shorter and could likely adapt but after 34 years with length and it's not effecting the rest of my technique I'm not going shorter.

Most Importantly. If you are looking for advise as to length have a very good instructor do an evaluation as to your technique, body structure and ability to determine what would work best for you. If there are changes, stick with for a season or two to adapt to them, this is not an overnight adjustment.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
with out video it hard to say its not affecting how you ski....

just because you are use to something does nt mean its the right way or the best way.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January