• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap Beacon for Inbounds Skiing

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Price? It's cheap compared to your life... at least for me. :)
I don't really get this thing... No offense John Webb, as it's not directed (only) at you, but your post was just last trigger for me. New beacon is in range of $300 and you can easily use it for 5+ years, which means about $60/year, probably less. That's price of daily ski ticket in Europe, and based on what I have read here probably price of single beer on mountain in US. We are talking about avi beacons, that in case of avalanche (I guess we can agree by now, that even inbounds and in "controlled" terrain, avalanches happen more often then someone would hope for) is >THE ONLY< way that gives you chance to stay alive. And for life saving tool like this is $60/year too much??? Seriously?
:thumb: I am of the same mindset.

I pay $864.00 per year for life insurance on myself.
I pay close to that for life insurance on @Philpug.

$300.00 for a beacon is cheap insurance IMHO.
I'd much rather that Phil and I stay alive with a beacon than cash in a life insurance policy.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My understanding is at a good chunk of these controlled areas, they DO require you to have buddy, shovel, probe, beacon, if you read the sign and/or website that's what it says. The ones that are not strictly required, they highly recommend.
However, it's just they have a gate that can electronically recognize a beacon. There's no equivalent cheap and efficient system that can recognize you have the rest of gear or training. The beacon gate is just the best method that gets as much of the desired benefit with the lowest cost, (both money and human cost of patroler's time), it is not perfect enforcement of the access rule.
If you've obtained the most expensive item, I don't see why you wont get at least those cheap versions of the rest of the kit too, that adds up to like maybe $50. You don't even need the traditional shovel, like those frisbee/plate style snowclaw thing is good enough to count.
So if the goal is he wants to ski all these gate controlled areas; either read the fine print for where he is going; or just get the rest of kit too, so he doesn't get turned around if a patroller happens to be peeking and enforces the full requirements of a particular area. The argument that i just did it yesterday doesn't fly, if the real rule was you needed full kit; that's like saying I stole a cookie yesterday so that means I can steal one every day.

Remember, this is just about safety and for your benefit, and none of this is law or written in stone. Just like ducking the rope, or skiing too fast; it's ski patrols judgement on if you are safe or not safe. All these things, a patroller sometimes and arbitrarily decide to give you a warning or kick you off the mountain, for the exact same thing. It's basically if they think you have learned your lesson already and won't do it again, or if you need something more to not do it again. They are doing these things for the benefit of all the skiers, not for any personal gain.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Baked-Bacon.jpg

Reactions: mdf

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Air bag packs are pretty standard in Europe. I seriously doubt you'll find one person with an airbag and not a beeper though. Even those who ski alone.
You would be actually surprised about that. Nowadays ski touring or freeride is super popular over here, and you have whole bunch of people doing it for getting cool, or so they think, photo for instagram of facebook. They are all equipped with latest and greatest gear, but only that gear that's visible on photos. Transceiver, probe and shovel are either in backpack or under jacket, so you don't see them on photos, which means you don't need them. Sometimes I check just for fun on parking or ski lift and switch my transceiver to search mode, and every time I'm surprised how little other transceivers it finds around me, even when conditions are super tricky.
I know I'm far from good sample, as I do whole lot of skiing or ski touring on my own, but every single time I go, full gear is with me. That means transceiver, probe, shovel and ABS, even when there's basically no chance for avalanche, but as I wrote several times, as long as there's snow, you can never be 100%. Sure ABS weights a bit, and on long run (several days with 8+h on tour) it probably might add something to fatigue, and for sure every gram makes you slower on skimo races, but for normal daily touring I don't think those 2kg gives much of issue.

James

Out There
Instructor
You would be actually surprised about that. Nowadays ski touring or freeride is super popular over here, and you have whole bunch of people doing it for getting cool, or so they think, photo for instagram of facebook. They are all equipped with latest and greatest gear, but only that gear that's visible on photos. Transceiver, probe and shovel are either in backpack or under jacket, so you don't see them on photos, which means you don't need them.

Sometimes I check just for fun on parking or ski lift and switch my transceiver to search mode, and every time I'm surprised how little other transceivers it finds around me, even when conditions are super tricky.
Sad! I guess I'll have to amend it to "competent back country skiers". So, they just buy airbag packs?

I would bet that the 4 skiers who died last year in the Vallon d'Arbi in Verbier did not have gear. But, that's an intinerary route with moguls in places, but not where the slide was. There was a smaller slide there this year in the same spot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I actually ski with a beacon in-bounds as well as a pocket full of BACON. With many ski areas deploying avalanche search dogs, I figure a nice portion of breakfast meat on my person could increase my chances of being sniffed out by by an avy dog.

Also an excellent snack for lift lines.

James

Out There
Instructor
Don't know if this interview was posted.
Gear 30 Podcast

Avalanche Beacons & Backcountry Safety with BCA Co-Founder, Bruce Edgerly (Ep.43)
April 5, 2019 by Sam Shaheen
  • BCA’s transceiver design philosophy + a new Tracker (1:21)
  • Improving backcountry strategy & increasing your safety (7:24)
  • Scenario: multiple burials (13:59)
  • Ski media & backcountry safety (16:28)
  • How old is too old when it comes to transceivers? (18:50)
  • The changing backcountry scene (20:31)
https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/...afety-with-bca-co-founder-bruce-edgerly-ep-43

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
By all avalanche training institutions, in awareness courses, guided trips etc. in Europe, Beacon, probe and shovel is preached and practiced. An airbag is an added bonus.
I have not actually heard of people only buying the airbag, and not invest in the other gear + knowledge.
I am an amateur backcountry skier myself, so I can only comment from a consumer's/client's point of view. Sometimes on forums such as these or WePowder.com people ask wher to buy an airbag. THan others always reply 'have you got the other gear and some appropriate courses already?' Much like when people ask advice on buying their first pair of skis, always someone makes sure to ask if they have properly fitted boots first.

Sponsor

Staff online