• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap Beacon for Inbounds Skiing

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I thought the Tracker 2 was a 3 antennae while the Tracker 1 and DTS are 2 antennae.
So, I did a quick search.
https://www.facewest.co.uk/Differences-Between-Tracker-1-and-2.html
From this link:
Tracker 1 or Tracker DTS (as it was known) uses 2 antenna. Tracker 2 uses 3 antanna. The 3rd antenna is only used during the last stage of the search to help increase the accuracy of the distance indication and to eliminate the "null spot" or "spike" that occours when the receicing antenna is perpendicular to the flux field direction. To the user it appears that the Tracker 2 is much smoother in the final search.

During that search I also found some good deals on the Tracker DTS
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/BC...MIu86Fx_-w3QIVktlkCh29ewYVEAYYBSABEgIv7_D_BwE
My bad. Tracker 2 has 3 antennas. I was thinking of the Tracker 1... Thanks for the correction.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In other words, you're like 95% of people who use beacons.

Sorry @Nathanvg -- beacons thread always dissolve into this sort of discussion. I do think Tracker 2 is the best recommendation, though a DTS or similar will allow you to be found by patrol.
I think this thread has some really good information.

That's a good deal, is bonanza reputable?

Thanks jmeb for the tips.
I'm not familiar with Bonanza, just saw that and thought it was a good deal for a good 2 antennae beacon.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I would only buy a used beacon from an outfit or community you trust, or a place you can get a refund/return/exchange. Frequency drift does happen and affects all models of beacons. Without the ability to test it prior (which is one reason CL can be okay if you have a known-good beacon to test with), you need some assurance that its within range.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If an avy occurs, the more people who carry the gear and are proficient in partner rescue, the safer it is for all of us.

So, how do you deal with resort visitors who may have beacons but may not think to turn them off? This is what worries me. I expect (foolishly?) people in the backcountry to be more on top of things, but really, who knows?

My husband and I greatly confused a patroller a few seasons ago. We had stopped to talk in the middle of a bump field. There was a patroller doing something near a tree. After increasingly frantic activity, he finally turned and asked if we were wearing beacons. Yup, we're beeping. He was practicing finding a buried beacon, and he just didn't expect two other transmitting beacons nearby. Anyway, it makes me wonder.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, how do you deal with resort visitors who may have beacons but may not think to turn them off? This is what worries me. I expect (foolishly?) people in the backcountry to be more on top of things, but really, who knows?

My husband and I greatly confused a patroller a few seasons ago. We had stopped to talk in the middle of a bump field. There was a patroller doing something near a tree. After increasingly frantic activity, he finally turned and asked if we were wearing beacons. Yup, we're beeping. He was practicing finding a buried beacon, and he just didn't expect two other transmitting beacons nearby. Anyway, it makes me wonder.
Great question! This is a real concern in an actual search. We are trained to manage the search and organize the search party including use of beacons. The term patrol uses is a "hasty party". We practice managing hasty party scenarios which includes all available resources. It is actually good practice to work with guests on a search scenario as they can really help cover terrain in a well managed probe line.

I was once practicing a beacon search and I started receiving confusing signals. I finally realized that I was near a chairlift and I was receiving signals from people with beacons as they flew over me! That was a great learning situation and I have been better aware of any possible confusing signals.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
OP just wants a cheap beacon to be let through and ski an area that requires passing through a transmitter check...

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
OP just wants a cheap beacon to be let through and ski an area that requires passing through a transmitter check...

Yes, and some people are discussing reasons why he might want to reconsider what he's asking for.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's post (actually thread) somewhere on this forum after one of not so nice days in last winter, and it would be really useful if everyone stepping just meter out of track (where, at least in Europe you are on your own, just as much as 50k away from nearest house or lift), would read it, think about it and consider how prepared they head out into something that can actually be life threatening.
All those 3 guys in question, one I found dead, and the other two who, didn't do what they should, were experienced climbers, mountaineers and touring skiers, at least based on what I could read in days following accident, yet noone did anything right.
And to the first post... The guy who unfortunately doesn't live anymore, was suppose to have old/bad/not properly working transceiver (based on what his 2 friends said), that's why they were relying in search pretty much solely on probing. If certain resort requires transceiver then I guess they require it with reason. And if there's reason, you certainly don't want some cheap sh**t, as your life depends on this. Even if avis are not often, it doesn't need to take more then one to kill you. With this I don't care about statistics, as it really doesn't matter if title in newspaper next day will be "First victim in 10 years". You are not any less dead as if there would be 100 other victims in that month only.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier

First lesson I was taught on beacon use : you switch it on, in xmit mode, the moment you leave your house/car and switch it off the moment you get back in either one (if nothing has happened in between).
Also, discussing with a guide , I was told that most of the avalanche accidents here in Europe happens within 08-100 mt from a marked trail, so it makes sense to carry one anyway, if one has flexible plans about where to ski.
On equipment, I'd prefer to spend some money on my beacon, practice with so to be familiar with its operations, than to carry a cheap one I am not going to use, but sport it just to abide to the "letter of the law". Also, if I pick up the beacon for the day, I will also pick up probe and shovel (and now that I have it, an airbag equipped backpack) But that's me.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried to be clear in my inital post: "I don't want this tread to turn into a debate on using beacons in bounds or avalanche training, etc"

If you want to discuss that, I created another thread: https://www.pugski.com/threads/should-you-wear-an-avalanche-beacon-inbounds.11596/

Ideally a mod can move all the off topic posts there. Anyone with tips on where to get cheap beacons to get through the gate is appreciated. Options mentioned so far:

1. Craig's list - good suggestion but CL doesn't have any in my Midwest location.
2. Look for a sale - good idea, I'm looking

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
What everyone is saying is if you need a beacon to gain access to an area there is a reason for it. Not having a quality digital beacon, probe, shovel and the ability and knowledge to use them endangers you and everyone else. Don't be one of those people!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What everyone is saying is if you need a beacon to gain access to an area there is a reason for it. Not having a quality digital beacon, probe, shovel and the ability and knowledge to use them endangers you and everyone else. Don't be one of those people!
Not everyone.

Several people mentioned many if those areas are easily reach by patrol within a few minutes.

If one insists on carrying probe and shovel, shouldn’t one also insist on a buddy? What’s the use of carrying all that skiing by yourself?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not everyone.

Several people mentioned many if those areas are easily reach by patrol within a few minutes.

If one insists on carrying probe and shovel, shouldn’t one also insist on a buddy? What’s the use of carrying all that skiing by yourself?

Patrol is actually a good example of skiing with a beacon and no shovel probe. At least at my home hill, all patrol are required to have beacons on at all times. Only a select few have shovel and probes while skiing.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
UPDATE: I just booked a last minute trip to Bridger and then Big Sky. Heading out in a little over a week so I need to order ASAP. I am considering 3 beacon options below. Any thoughts on which is best or a better option?

1. https://www.ebay.com/i/142290229581?chn=ps It's cheap, digital, "tested" and "new."
2. https://www.backcountry.com/arva-ev...IyGb-Ma5-uU4BZoy0RZa3wgqBekCgagwaAgUdEALw_wcB I think I can get $30 with a coupon so, 200 for a new beacon seems like the best deal I've seen.
3. Rent at Bridger (not sure if they might run out and I wont get there first thing since I'm flying in the same day.)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
1. Waste of money.
2. Solid beacon, a bit shorter range than some of newest, but still a reliable, modern beacon at a good price.
3. Dunno nuttin about that.

I tend towards 2 because owning a beacon allows you to practice and get familiar with it. Renting means learning new tech each time. Even if you are mostly using it in case of someone needing to locate you -- you will be remiss if you don't learn how to search well with it should you ever be in the situation when you're looking for someone else.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
#1 is "digitally enhanced" but otherwise a very analog beacon.

The Arva is more modern, but it still wouldn't be my top choice. I've had a participant at a beacon rally show up with one and it's a little finicky. It turns on automatically when you clip it on (the little red piece on the bottom right corner attaches and detaches from the rest of the body and serves as the on-off switch.) It was intended to make sure you never forgot to flip it on, but it makes searching with your holster on impossible. You have to unstrap it (turning it off), plug the red piece back in with the harness off your body, plug it back in with the holster off your body. If there's a secondary slide, you've lost your beacon, compared to other options that tether to the harness and will turn back to transmit after inactivity. Some people remove the beacon from the harness and just carry the little red piece, but it's still a cheap piece of plastic that can render your beacon worthless.

If we're talking intro level, introductory price point beacons, I personally think the BCA Tracker 2 is worth a few extra bucks (or fewer if you've got time to wait for it from Freeze Pro Shop on standard delivery).

Sponsor

Staff online