• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Capture, reuse scrapped wax?

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems like a good thing to do. Less wasteful, less expensive. Out of a 120 gram bar of wax, how much is actually on the ski and how much is scraped off? I'd guess a gram or two is actually absorbed on the ski.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've thought about it. Trick is making sure it doesn't get contaminated. Then how do you get it on the ski? Not sure it's worth the effort.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No mystery I have 20+ posts on this.

The scrapings go in a crockpot. When everything is full enough the crockpot is left on overnight.

I do a 165F cut and a 205F cut. Then I do a cleaning run at 235F - that stuff is useless. Each cut is poured into a soft sided pitcher for gravity settling. When cold, I cut the dirty bottoms off the cakes and done.

James

Out There
Instructor
I used to save it to maybe make a candle. Then someone threw a big container out. Reusing it on skis? Yeah no. It’s filled at worst with stuff like metal spirals from edge sharpening, and at best dirt. I suppose if younre a fanatic about clean scrapings and keep em that way, it could work.

No mystery I have 20+ posts on this.

The scrapings go in a crockpot. When everything is full enough the crockpot is left on overnight.

I do a 165F cut and a 205F cut. Then I do a cleaning run at 235F - that stuff is useless. Each cut is poured into a soft sided pitcher for gravity settling. When cold, I cut the dirty bottoms off the cakes and done.
You were that lab guy in the French Connection, weren’t you?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just learn to press it on thinner, thriftier.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Better off just buying your wax in bulk. Then again I'm just using betamix which isn't that expensive. The time is more valuable to me

Now if you want to save and reuse to make fire starters for your wood stove or something else, that's probably a better reuse.

Sponsor

Staff online