• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bring a Trailer and Cars & Bids Appreciation Thread

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I got distracted by the Venezuelan FJ, the Scout and

ummm, no! if you want a Lancia it needs to be the Integrale. 4wd/2.0 Turbo. Im afraid that one with FWD, 1.6 and no smart diff would not cut it even as a clubman car on the loose

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, these are going for stupid money these days???

Went for $3,400 IIRC.

The new CT125 is expected to retail for less than $4,000, so that price was nuts.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Went for $3,400 IIRC.

The new CT125 is expected to retail for less than $4,000, so that price was nuts.
$3,400? PFT

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A buddy of mine had a 50cc version that he would carry in his trunk (along with a tent, camping gear and many cases of beer) when he went to the Watkins Glen F1 races in the '60s and '70s.
That's what I learned to wheelie on..Z50.. Brilliant

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Might be handy for skiing next year:
That almost needs this on the side...

1200px-Ghostbusters_logo.svg.png

1587221321713.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This 19k mile Rabbit GTI should bring all the money
1983_volkswagen_rabbit_gti_1586379212d208495dLEM_9893-scaled.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This 19k mile Rabbit GTI should bring all the money

I am a huge BaT fan. Have bought and sold, and followed it almost everyday since they launched the site. I would LOVE this one, but it's not in the cards. I owned a red one, bought new, also a 1983. I think this may turn out to be one of the more fascinating auctions that we've seen in a while.

I have 3-4 friends, contemporaries of mine, and while I'm an enthusiast, these guys are serious collectors. The first new car for two of them: a Mark I GTI. My first new car was Datsun 510, and I own one today. I got completely irrational when I bought it, as it had been set up by Bob Sharp Racing.

I know that both of these guys are watching and I would love to see one buy it. Neither will make a stupid buy, but both will make an emotional buy.

Should be interesting. Originally I thought this might bring $50K. Then again, somebody who was 30 in 1984 is 65-66 today. One of my other cars is a 1979 Sirocco, a twin of my original one. Had to have it. My brother has a 1970 TR6. Same thing. All like new.

Agree 100%+ that it brings all the money. It's already run up to $36K, with EIGHT DAYS LEFT.

Any guesses on where this one ends up? @Philpug, and idea on the record for a Mark I?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I test drove a Rabbit GTI in 1986 and it had great handling but just an 8 valve engine as a 16v was still 2 or 3 years away.

So I ended up buying a '86 Toyota Corolla GTS 5 speed manual, solid rear axle rear wheel drive, black 2 door coupe with a 16valve MR2 engine that red lined at 7200rpms. The GTS listed for about $4k less than an MR2 and is highly sought after today as a drifter car. I used to fly by the Rabbit GTIs on steep mountain grades

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am a huge BaT fan. Have bought and sold, and followed it almost everyday since they launched the site. I would LOVE this one, but it's not in the cards. I owned a red one, bought new, also a 1983. I think this may turn out to be one of the more fascinating auctions that we've seen in a while.

I have 3-4 friends, contemporaries of mine, and while I'm an enthusiast, these guys are serious collectors. The first new car for two of them: a Mark I GTI. My first new car was Datsun 510, and I own one today. I got completely irrational when I bought it, as it had been set up by Bob Sharp Racing.

I know that both of these guys are watching and I would love to see one buy it. Neither will make a stupid buy, but both will make an emotional buy.

Should be interesting. Originally I thought this might bring $50K. Then again, somebody who was 30 in 1984 is 65-66 today. One of my other cars is a 1979 Sirocco, a twin of my original one. Had to have it. My brother has a 1970 TR6. Same thing. All like new.

Agree 100%+ that it brings all the money. It's already run up to $36K, with EIGHT DAYS LEFT.

Any guesses on where this one ends up? @Philpug, and idea on the record for a Mark I?
The record on BaT is $33K
This one has already surpassed that. This seller has already sold another GTI and a Cabriolet.
IMHO the Cabriolets are still the better car and a steal still. GTI motor, Jetta interior, convertible AND built in Germany....What's not to like?

I had a 83 Wolfsburg prior that I had rolled and replaced with a GTI, 84 red with blue interior. I actually prefered the 83. I had a Weber big throat on it, upgraded to some Konis and the 5 speed that was in the 83, while it wasn't as quick, I liked the balance of it. The GTI was absolutely a tighter ride but the 83 Wolfsburg was an comfortable pair of jeans.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
*ahem*chickcar*ahem*... :ogbiggrin:
I'm not sure I could get past that either. When I was a kid, the VW Cabriolet was viewed as totally a girls car. It was notable (to me at least) in the movie "Can't Buy Me Love" as the lead "popular rich girl"s car...

1587385057631.png

Sponsor