• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots packed out...what to do?

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So my stock Lange liner appears to be packed out or is packing out. I heat molded them mid-season last year when I got them and have probably 30 days on them. They felt good then and at the beginning of this season, but I’m feeling slop these past few days out, especially in funky snow. Can I re-heat mold them (ie do the cells expand) or can that not be done effectively once they’re packed out?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The cells will likely contract rather than expand if reheated.

Add material (I like cork and leather) to fit the boot to your foot.

If the shell fit has too much volume, new liners and even new "better fitting" boots may be required.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
just use your
IMG_20190116_174039.jpg

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
If your liners only lasted 30 days, 1) check on a warranty, and/or 2) see if you were sized into a shell that is too large.
If it's a shell sizing issue, maybe your bootfitter can help. New liners into a too-large shell may offer a temp fix.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skipped the whole boot heating on the last two pairs of boots opting only to punch out my bad spot. Getting 150-200 days until the liners are packed.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Skipped the whole boot heating on the last two pairs of boots opting only to punch out my bad spot. Getting 150-200 days until the liners are packed.
I have the same liners I started with, 371 days. I didn't heat them, either. I prefer to just use the ski in them method. Yes, I had some sore points for that first season. But it's only just recently I've been thinking of sticking some duct tape around my heel on one foot. All the buckles are still in the same notches.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
When mine began getting packed out last season I added a heat molded insole that took up much of the extra space as I didn't get them when I bought the boots. They now fit much more snugly and have improved by skiing as well.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, I haven't need to throw in insoles yet, but my right heel either needs me to snug up the ankle buckle or needs a little thickness added. It's not shifting, but I'm aware of it not being fully snug relative to the other heel.

I have custom insoles.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
assuming the boots fit well
replacement aftermarket liners
or budget
I found a good way to take up space, in a neutral fashion OR in specific areas - sheet of thin adhesive backed 'felt'
easily gotten at MIchaels, the cratfs store - about $1.25 ea
thickness of these 12x12 sheets is about >1mm and will 'flatten' to a stable <.5 mm or there abouts - so nice, small adjustment possible
liners will 'pack' more where there is greater pressure, so these felt sheets can be cut to shape or can cover a general area
for overall tightening.
adhesive is not permanent, so easy to replace/change
For forefoot areas where there is a possibility of 'shifting, due to liner re-insertion into the boot shell, I'll cover the leading edge of felt piece with some thin packing tape to prevent shifting upon liner insertion.
helped a friend last season who has broad feet, but thin lower leg above the ankle. Wrapped one form-cut sheet around the liner upper, above the ankle. worked a charm - gave a snug, even fit for the boot shaft/uppper.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I got a custom insole done about 6-7 years ago...is it possible that’s been smashed or squashed down over the years and isn’t taking up as much volume?

My boot shell is perfect and has been for years. The liner I got last year was a stock liner replacement for the original.

Is Intuition noticeably that much better for control and fit?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I got a custom insole done about 6-7 years ago...is it possible that’s been smashed or squashed down over the years and isn’t taking up as much volume?

My boot shell is perfect and has been for years. The liner I got last year was a stock liner replacement for the original.

In a word "Yes". Got intuitions with K2 spyne boots and the fit was solid for almost 3 years (45 days). My Lange liners make me want to invest in more intuitions. The intuitions are also warmer.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yes, the intuitions are that much better, and supposedly (not doubting, just no personal experience) the zipfits are better than the intuitions.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Time to look at Intution, Zipfit & BootDoc if your in the right sized shell. Otherwise all bets are off.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm able to stretch some time between liner replacements with a midweight sock to take up a little extra space.

I agree with this approach. Many sing the praises of ultra-thin socks. I do not. My usual progression with new boots is utra-thins for about 10 days, mediums for another 10, then thick-ish for usually 30 more. After that, possibly Intuitions.

Another trick I like is to put a 1 mm Bontex insole under your custom footbed.

Neither of these may work, but they are a $25 experiment before moving to custom liners!

Sponsor