• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
What's the resort (s) I saw someone post somewhere a few hears ago that had big garden type utility pull wagons all over the parking lots for folks to haul their gear to and from the lodge in? I'd love to have that as an option, especially on really cold days.

Several have now have pull -wagons, sun valley, snowbasin, sunshine/banff, keystone,seems more are getting them, yes is nice!
I often 'valet' myself a lot, drive up drop gear in am go park, fetch car, get gear in pm.

Some Mts have 'cattle car wagons' for Skiers to stand in to get hauled to and from the lodges. hold on! (elk, taos come to mind)

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh you can do it, but you'll get flagged down and stopped by 3 or 4 different parking lot attendents demanding to know why you can't park and carry your gear like everyone else has to..

Like my Mama always told me, "Just becauce all your friend jumped off the bridge..."

What's the resort (s) I saw someone post somewhere a few hears ago that had big garden type utility pull wagons all over the parking lots for folks to haul their gear to and from the lodge in? I'd love to have that as an option, especially on really cold days.

Sun Valley.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Is there no one in this thread who needs to warm the boots in order to get them off? I don't think a heated boot bag can do that. I use a hairdryer. In the lodge. I boot up and down next to an electrical outlet. Otherwise, each boot will tear into my instep as I pry it off/on.

I also have layers of clothing that I store in the bootbag. I change my upper layers depending on the changing outdoor temperature. Am I the only one here who does that? Here in the east pretty much no one wears a backpack. It's only five minutes down to the lodge. Why carry that stuff on your back, and struggle with it on the lift, when you could easily leave it in a free cubby in the warm lodge?

My lunch is in that bootbag, as is the thermos full of MY coffee, brewed to perfection back at the house.
I can't live without that coffee. My thermos keeps it warm all day long. Really.

For these multiple reasons, I boot up in the lodge. New England skier.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So many different people, so many different resorts, so many different needs. Every one has a valid reason for their own situation.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hated the Booting up area at Sugarloaf so much I bought a ski in and ski out condo slope side this year.. Now its the best boot up area with benefits:yahoo:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hated the Booting up area at Sugarloaf so much I bought a ski in and ski out condo slope side this year.. Now its the best boot up area with benefits:yahoo:
My one and only Sugarloaf weekend was staying with friends that have a trailside townhouse. You walk out the slider on the lower level, click in, and ski right off from the wood deck. Sweet!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hated the Booting up area at Sugarloaf
I didn't find it bad. Just your typical cafeteria that doubles as boot-up, and it has cubbies right there.
The only downside I can remember is that it is buried pretty deep in a big, multistory building.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
6 pages already .

for more summer filler how about

"sketchiest walks to lift "
Whistler Village - too much wildlife.

" what's the lowest temperature you still put your ski clothes on in the parking lot"
I start to wimp out by -25c, then will revert to getting dressed in the car
peeling at end of the day is fine in any temperature.

James

Out There
Instructor
"sketchiest walks to lift "
Lol.
Stowe! Mt Mansfield. Not sketchy, but your forced to walk up Everest. So many died this year! Hideous line, freezing to death...

One of these years when they put in like their 6th lift up Liftline, they'll figure out extending it would solve some problems.

IMG_6165.JPG
Stowe, Mt Mansfield. Bootup area is ok, but then you're faced with this. (April)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol.
Stowe! Mt Mansfield. Not sketchy, but your forced to walk up Everest. So many died this year! Hideous line, freezing to death...

One of these years when they put in like their 6th lift up Liftline, they'll figure out extending it would solve some problems.

View attachment 78531
Stowe, Mt Mansfield. Bootup area is ok, but then you're faced with this. (April)

Eh... the stairs weren't so bad... but you're not even near the lift when you get to the top. Then you have to decide whether to walk over to the lift or put your skis on and skate/ pole (slightly) uphill.

I did it three times.

James

Out There
Instructor
Eh... the stairs weren't so bad... but you're not even near the lift when you get to the top
Yep, just like the Hillary...”Stairs” on Everest, except less crowded. There once you’re up it’s 200 ft to the summit.

Apparently, the Hillary Step disappeared after the 2015 earthquake.

At least you can breathe coming out of the Mt Mansfield Lodge. Here’s the new Hillary “Stairs”:

691246CA-06B2-4626-A46E-8B707FCA8A85.jpeg
https://www.outsideonline.com/2311861/hillary-step

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lol.

View attachment 78531
Came to post this, leaving satisfied.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It really depends on where we are. When at Bromley I either boot up in pro staff or the shed. When at Magic I boot up in the locker room. The only place I really boot up in the parking lot is Killington because I'm typically only there early or late season where the weather is generally moderate. I keep my food, drink and layers in my bootbag so I leave it wherever I boot up. With all the issues with my right foot I'm lucky in that I don't have any issues getting the boots off me feet, even on the coldest of days, just unbuckle and free the beasts.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Typical boot up area @Thredbo, Australia.

Boot-Up-Area.jpg

And some folk in other countries get an under-cover area for day trippers? Luxury!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have layers of clothing that I store in the bootbag. I change my upper layers depending on the changing outdoor temperature.

This. And it's amazing how a dry environment makes a range of temps tolerable with the same clothes ... Where the same range of temps here in the damp east causes intense sweat accumulation or near hypothermia.

Sponsor