• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My fitter (not the one who baked the Intuitions for me) is a certified pedorthist and former ski racer. He's pretty competent.

Update today: I threw my old Zipfits and my old cork footbeds into my boots last night and heated them up, then skied them. WORLDS better. I had another pair of custom molded insoles in there, but the corks just support my collapsing arches so much better. Way more control. I'm pretty stoked!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had my bootfitter appointment today to get these liners done. Sadly, when they foamed the foam did not make it around my foot and they were ruined. They would have had to special order a new pair so we went to plan b which is a whole new boot. So, new Atomic Hawx Prime 100w with new foot beds are now mine. I'm disappointed but hopefully these will give me what I need. I'm pretty sure I'll need more work done on them but I was exhausted after over 4 hours at the shop so I just couldn't take any more.

Reactions: Ron

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I had my bootfitter appointment today to get these liners done. Sadly, when they foamed the foam did not make it around my foot and they were ruined. They would have had to special order a new pair so we went to plan b which is a whole new boot. So, new Atomic Hawx Prime 100w with new foot beds are now mine. I'm disappointed but hopefully these will give me what I need. I'm pretty sure I'll need more work done on them but I was exhausted after over 4 hours at the shop so I just couldn't take any more.

Sorry to hear about the liner experience. But, glad to hear that you think you have a good solution which will hopefully be great.
Best of luck with them!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the shop felt bad too and gave me a discount on the boots to make up for it without me even suggesting something. Sh*t happens. By the end of the night I was joking that I outlasted all of the other customers which they found amusing.

Reactions: Ron

Muleski

Inactive
Well, they should make you whole on any of the liner cost, in terms of a credit toward the boots. Glad they did.
I am going to make it clear, when asked about BD's, that the end result is pretty much dependent on the fitter's experience with the liner, the foam and the process.
I have noticed that Wintersteiger is bringing on what looks like a large number of dealers. I recognize a few, and to be honest, some are not shops that have reputations for any expertise in this area.
Not saying that your case AT ALL! What I am saying is that you can buy a ZipFit, an Intuition and other really good aftermarket liners, from pretty much anybody and eventually get them to be right.
Not the case with these. I have now heard of four people who had experiences that didn't work well. My boot fitter probably does 100+ pairs a season {and also sells all of the others} and all I hear of are raving fans.
So I guess the results can vary, and yes "it happens." Still a pain in the ass.
I love my liners, as do my adult kids. If I were growing this network, I would try to ensure that the foaming is done right.

Hope the new boots are great!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, I wasn't charged a cent for the liners! I fully believe that I just happened to get one of those weird situations as this place has done many including at least one other Pugskier. I was in the shop for 4.5 hours and watched how they worked with many other customers. They're good. They were totally willing to order in the new liner, I was the one that suggested discussing a new boot.

Muleski

Inactive
Oh, I wasn't charged a cent for the liners! I fully believe that I just happened to get one of those weird situations as this place has done many including at least one other Pugskier. I was in the shop for 4.5 hours and watched how they worked with many other customers. They're good. They were totally willing to order in the new liner, I was the one that suggested discussing a new boot.

Well, sounds like a good end result! Hope they're great!

Bogdan Moldovan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,
I have a pair of nordica dobermann boots, size 27. With the original liner I have a little bit of extra space over the ankle and instep (could buckle them almost completely), but low volume in front (same low volume in front when wearing liners only, outside the shell). Would it be wise to go to size 28 in the foam liners (as the shell fit is ok, more than 1 finger behind without liners (1,3), and toes touching thefront of the shell?
Thank you!
Best wishes!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi,
I have a pair of nordica dobermann boots, size 27. With the original liner I have a little bit of extra space over the ankle and instep (could buckle them almost completely), but low volume in front (same low volume in front when wearing liners only, outside the shell). Would it be wise to go to size 28 in the foam liners (as the shell fit is ok, more than 1 finger behind without liners (1,3), and toes touching thefront of the shell?
Thank you!
Best wishes!
As long as the 27 is your correct size, I would stay with that.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My bootfitter had me move my foot around to get the foam to go in the right places.

Interestingly, my right boot (my right foot is shorter and lower in volume) is a little loose in the heel. When the liners are ordered, they come with a predetermined amount of foam for the shell size. Although I'm in a very small shell size for my foot, I do think it's possible that my very low volume right foot needed a tad more foam.

Bogdan Moldovan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
As long as the 27 is your correct size, I would stay with that.
Thanks Phil! Actually my feet length is 27.6 (l) and 27.8(r). I slipped a 28 liner in the shells, for the left one and it was OKish, some wrinkles but the liners are old and packed.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I stand by my comment that a fitter who has a lot of experience with BD {and even better if he has a lot of foam liner experience in general}, is a big factor in this working well.

My guy used more foam than would standardly be included for both me and my daughter. Pretty painful. Resulted in zero voids, and a firmer than "normal" liner....by a touch. He was methodical in how he gave us toe room, gave me instep room. Heels are tight. 200 days into one pair, more in another...perfect.

Our fitter was one of the first to sell BD's in this country. He told me two years ago that he had foamed about 100 BD's in the prior season. Maybe more. I think he may have doubled that the next season. So, the BD is not a mystery to him. He also sells a lot of ZipFit and Intuition liners. More. Those are his go-to's.

I have heard stories that indicate to me that it is a mystery to some. I have a friend who is generally considered to be a real guru on a national basis, and he told me that he really screwed up a lot of these in his first few attempts. He does all of them in his shop now. The other techs don't. He's pretty sold on it. At first he was not.

This is a sensitive issue, as in my experience, most people have an affinity and respect for their boot guy {or lady}, and we hear a lot of great things. You rarely hear "My boot guy is real average." Just saying that thinking any good person, or experienced fitter can get this right the first few times is wrong.

Some really great fitters love them, and others are not fans. At all. That's fine. A lot of race boot guys don't like them. Think there is no need for them. I get it. Others have fitted them in 92-93mm plug boots with success.

Just saying that if you decide to go this way, it is important to have them foamed with somebody experienced with the products. My boot fitter has gallons of the foam on hand. And it sure seems like he has worked through how to get it just right based on what you need. He uses a different group of toe caps, etc.

My brother had to have a tongue replaced and foamed. He went to a well regarded guy, while out of town. He said that he was a bit familiar with the product, and would do the work, but he wasn't a dealer, and there were better options, etc. My brother thanked him, and said that he would be more comfortable with a BD guy. Found one, and all good.

The process seems really simple, but like anything else there have to be nuances to just nailing it! Probably very obvious, but had to throw it out there.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I stand by my comment that a fitter who has a lot of experience with BD {and even better if he has a lot of foam liner experience in general}, is a big factor in this working well.

My guy used more foam than would standardly be included for both me and my daughter. Pretty painful. Resulted in zero voids, and a firmer than "normal" liner....by a touch. He was methodical in how he gave us toe room, gave me instep room. Heels are tight. 200 days into one pair, more in another...perfect.

Our fitter was one of the first to sell BD's in this country. He told me two years ago that he had foamed about 100 BD's in the prior season. Maybe more. I think he may have doubled that the next season. So, the BD is not a mystery to him. He also sells a lot of ZipFit and Intuition liners. More. Those are his go-to's.

I have heard stories that indicate to me that it is a mystery to some. I have a friend who is generally considered to be a real guru on a national basis, and he told me that he really screwed up a lot of these in his first few attempts. He does all of them in his shop now. The other techs don't. He's pretty sold on it. At first he was not.

This is a sensitive issue, as in my experience, most people have an affinity and respect for their boot guy {or lady}, and we hear a lot of great things. You rarely hear "My boot guy is real average." Just saying that thinking any good person, or experienced fitter can get this right the first few times is wrong.

Some really great fitters love them, and others are not fans. At all. That's fine. A lot of race boot guys don't like them. Think there is no need for them. I get it. Others have fitted them in 92-93mm plug boots with success.

Just saying that if you decide to go this way, it is important to have them foamed with somebody experienced with the products. My boot fitter has gallons of the foam on hand. And it sure seems like he has worked through how to get it just right based on what you need. He uses a different group of toe caps, etc.

My brother had to have a tongue replaced and foamed. He went to a well regarded guy, while out of town. He said that he was a bit familiar with the product, and would do the work, but he wasn't a dealer, and there were better options, etc. My brother thanked him, and said that he would be more comfortable with a BD guy. Found one, and all good.

The process seems really simple, but like anything else there have to be nuances to just nailing it! Probably very obvious, but had to throw it out there.

So I just got foamed into a liner and it's the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. Have a pair of head rapoor 140 and I packed out two sets of stock liners. Zip fits just bit my ankle the wrong way and caused me a lot of pain and the only thing that was comfortable prior to packing out were the stock liners. The only issue I have with the BDs is I feel like there's less sensitivity with contact tp the shell and I have to push the boot harder to get it to respond. Perhaps it'seems because the foam liners or so soft. Does it take period of time to adjust to the difference between the foam liner and stock liner? Any insight would be appreciated. I definitely don't want to go back to a stock liner because these are so comfortable but it's definitely taking me a bit of time to get used to. Thanks.

Bill

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got some BD liners, too. What I'm finding, in addition to be comfortable with virtually no hot spots, is that they seem to flex at what I can only describe as a more "natural" place in line with my ankle, probably because they are foamed, particularly around the ankle, to MY ankle shape. So, with that, my boots do feel a tad softer, at least in regards to forward flex. I have put tongue shims in (used them with my stock liners, too) and they do quicken the response up a tad.

What am I noticing? When I move my foot/ankle/knee, all those parts, the boots actually RESPOND. Immediately. I am REALLY excited about them.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Sugarloafer

I would agree that at first, I felt I had to put more input into the boot but there was a bit of a learning curve for me. After 2-3 days I "figured" it out and now, I would never go back. If the boot isn't working to your expectations, go back to the fitter.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
@Sugarloafer

I would agree that at first, I felt I had to put more input into the boot but there was a bit of a learning curve for me. After 2-3 days I "figured" it out and now, I would never go back. If the boot isn't working to your expectations, go back to the fitter.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I think my boot fitter did a great job getting these things molded to my feet and ankles. Sucked up all the space between the back of the boot my calf. It's a pretty awesome fit I just have to get used to them feeling softer and slightly less responsive. This is my first full day skiing on them and I'm finding the more I ski the more used to it I'm getting. I would imagine by the end of the weekend I'll be good to go. Thanks again everybody.

Amy, what are tongue shims? I've never heard of them before.

Bill

Sponsor

Staff online