• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So I just got foamed into a liner and it's the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. Have a pair of head rapoor 140 and I packed out two sets of stock liners. Zip fits just bit my ankle the wrong way and caused me a lot of pain and the only thing that was comfortable prior to packing out were the stock liners. The only issue I have with the BDs is I feel like there's less sensitivity with contact tp the shell and I have to push the boot harder to get it to respond. Perhaps it'seems because the foam liners or so soft. Does it take period of time to adjust to the difference between the foam liner and stock liner? Any insight would be appreciated. I definitely don't want to go back to a stock liner because these are so comfortable but it's definitely taking me a bit of time to get used to. Thanks.

Bill

First of all, did Lionel foam them? If so, a plus.
Here's experience in our family. My daughter came out of about 10 years of very tight Lange ZA's. I mean tight....like hours of grinding. Two pairs a season. She always seemed to have some liners that were broken in, not down,

So she graduates from college and two years later is skiing 60+ days a season and decides to go for some comfort. Goes into a Lange RS. And a BD. She called me from CO her first day and told me that they were SO comfortable that she either felt something was wrong or she felt guilty. I think it took her about three days to be absolutely sold. She told me that she was skiing as well as she ever had, and loved the fact that she wasn't messing around with buckles, Booster straps, etc. all day long.
Circulation was great. Feet warm. All good.

So, I was about to need boots, and having branched out in terms of where we skied and what I was skiing on, I dumped my plugs. Went to a Lange RX and a BD. No looking back. I love them. Took me about two days to get my buckle tension where I wanted it. At first, I think I felt they were too comfy. Then I realized that they were perfect for me. They do not have the firm brand new lace up liner feel that I had been used to, which threw me off. What I realized was that I, too, was skiing better. Might have been the softer boots, but the liners are money. Now my fitter, Lionel, fitted me with a tight fit. Pretty agonizing during the process. The fit has stayed like new.

I have 200 plus days on mine. Daughter is about 350. No issues.

Son is a coach, and was offered a pair of the comp liners with the real firm foam. The Hirscher program. He has them in a pair of Dobermann's that he uses when he's skiing on rock hard snow, and asks "where were these when I was still racing?"

My wife has a pair and loves them. Very solid skier. Had the same reaction....as in almost too comfortable. No going back.

I'd give them a few days. My hunch is that you will get used to them. In my case and my daughter's despite being "warned", we both wondered if they were too comfortable. Nope. Turned out to really be pleased. But after fiddling with real deal race boots for in my case, 40 years, it was SO different. Not unbuckling, buckling up, messing with tension, and leaving them just buckled shut for hours was a real change.

More responsive? In some ways yes. We were coming out of areal race boot on hard, hard snow. Better? No question at all.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I think my boot fitter did a great job getting these things molded to my feet and ankles. Sucked up all the space between the back of the boot my calf. It's a pretty awesome fit I just have to get used to them feeling softer and slightly less responsive. This is my first full day skiing on them and I'm finding the more I ski the more used to it I'm getting. I would imagine by the end of the weekend I'll be good to go. Thanks again everybody.

Amy, what are tongue shims? I've never heard of them before.

Bill
They are a fairly thick, rigid piece of foam that have adhesive on one side and are curved and tapered to stick right against the tongue of the liner, NOT against the leg, but on the outside of the tongue. I am having trouble finding a picture of them online. I know several folks with skinny calves who use them.

Who knows, I might end up getting BD tongues, too. But not this season, time to save for a bike!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Muleski lol, yeah., I love the "too comfortable" reference because BD's kinda' create a new paradigm in that they ARE so comfortable and create an easy feel to the boot but you have to stop yourself with relating that easy feel to poor or lower levels of performance. :thumb:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Muleski lol, yeah., I love the "too comfortable" reference because BD's kinda' create a new paradigm in that they ARE so comfortable and create an easy feel to the boot but you have to stop yourself with relating that easy feel to poor or lower levels of performance. :thumb:

I'm glad this is a normal feeling, because that's what I'm experiencing, and it does make them feel almost too soft. Yet, they don't. I'll keep skiing them. If winter decides to return...

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I'm glad this is a normal feeling, because that's what I'm experiencing, and it does make them feel almost too soft. Yet, they don't. I'll keep skiing them. If winter decides to return...

For me, the biggest difference I've noticed is in the Moguls. I'm not quite as quick as I was prior to this liner being installed. With that said however, the difference in Comfort is night and day. I think it really is more about adjusting to the softness of the liner as there is in a lack of instant response that I've become accustomed to and the boot feels like it needs more input vs. subtle movements. I didn't feel any significant difference on the groomers by the way. I think after this weekend, I should feel completely acclimated to the boot and my mogul skiing will be back to where it was. I already noticed a big difference in performance between my first run last night (disaster) to my last run (not bad). Again, I think it's just a matter of getting used to a softer liner. But man, is it ever warm and comfortable.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've had a variety of foam liners over the years. My kids have each had a couple of pairs done that their boot companies wanted them to try. All of these were incredibly "firm" and were in my experience impossible to ski for a full day.

Our kids {who were adults by then} abandoned them fast. The only pair that I had that were "OK" were a Stroltz race liner....in a Lange. A popular WC setup years ago. And they were too firm.....for me.

Our son works in ZipFits. Both of them tour in Intuitions. I have a pair of ZipFits in the closet. All really good products. But different.

When our daughter made her change, our boot guy, who sells all three brands, and knows our feet and physiology was of the opinion that the post race "retirement" boot for our daughter might be a RS130. He told her that he would recommend that she never try the stick liners. Could go Zip, Or could ski in what he skied in.....the BD. His comment was that the mix of comfort and performance was off the charts.

She skis on everything from a SL ski to a 185cm Blizz Bodacious. Is now in the Rockies. So she sees everything for snow. She does some coaching. She will stand around in the boots....and her skiing is great.

Two years ago I had misfortune of being at Vail for a couple of days to see family and a couple of friends. It was close to a record day, and the line for lift one, the Gondi was insanely long. A week earlier I had been at Jackson and my friend, a local had never seen as long a line for the team. In both cases, I would have been in agony in my plugs. Probably would have had to take them off for a couple of minutes and then boot up again. Zero issues, Now I don't buy a boot or liner to stand around in....but it was an eye opener. The liners are unique.

My brother is one of the few guys that I know who went back to his fitter, to be refoamed. His fitter was pretty new to the process, and the second time around used what sounds to me like more foam mix. He skis pretty much every day of the season and is never going back to another liner. Ex national Team skier....he rips.

Can't comment on bumps. Unless big, and pillow soft, not my thing!

I am chuckling about the comfort. I remember my wife saying something like "God, these feel SO comfortable. I hope they ski well. Have my doubts!" Doubts disappeared for her.,

Good luck. Hope they work well for you!

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I've had a variety of foam liners over the years. My kids have each had a couple of pairs done that their boot companies wanted them to try. All of these were incredibly "firm" and were in my experience impossible to ski for a full day.

Our kids {who were adults by then} abandoned them fast. The only pair that I had that were "OK" were a Stroltz race liner....in a Lange. A popular WC setup years ago. And they were too firm.....for me.

Our son works in ZipFits. Both of them tour in Intuitions. I have a pair of ZipFits in the closet. All really good products. But different.

When our daughter made her change, our boot guy, who sells all three brands, and knows our feet and physiology was of the opinion that the post race "retirement" boot for our daughter might be a RS130. He told her that he would recommend that she never try the stick liners. Could go Zip, Or could ski in what he skied in.....the BD. His comment was that the mix of comfort and performance was off the charts.

She skis on everything from a SL ski to a 185cm Blizz Bodacious. Is now in the Rockies. So she sees everything for snow. She does some coaching. She will stand around in the boots....and her skiing is great.

Two years ago I had misfortune of being at Vail for a couple of days to see family and a couple of friends. It was close to a record day, and the line for lift one, the Gondi was insanely long. A week earlier I had been at Jackson and my friend, a local had never seen as long a line for the team. In both cases, I would have been in agony in my plugs. Probably would have had to take them off for a couple of minutes and then boot up again. Zero issues, Now I don't buy a boot or liner to stand around in....but it was an eye opener. The liners are unique.

My brother is one of the few guys that I know who went back to his fitter, to be refoamed. His fitter was pretty new to the process, and the second time around used what sounds to me like more foam mix. He skis pretty much every day of the season and is never going back to another liner. Ex national Team skier....he rips.

Can't comment on bumps. Unless big, and pillow soft, not my thing!

I am chuckling about the comfort. I remember my wife saying something like "God, these feel SO comfortable. I hope they ski well. Have my doubts!" Doubts disappeared for her.,

Good luck. Hope they work well for you!

Thanks, Muleski. I think these liners are going to be great. It's just a matter of getting used to how soft they are. I don't feel the instant connection to the Shell like i did with my stock liners. However, the side benefit is I'm really pressing the front of my boots hard and driving my tips. And on a fully cambered ski like my Kastle mx88, that's a good thing!

I'll post some new thoughts about my liners after I ski them all weekend. I have a feeling it'll be nothing but positive thoughts.

Vill

James

Out There
Instructor
So is everyone getting the soft foam? There's a harder version right?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure the term "Soft foam" is really correct. the effect is a more compliant feel, I dont think my BD's themselves are soft.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am using the WC liners myself. While I would not call them soft..or firm but juuust right.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Lange RS-130 with light use I'd like to equip with perhaps BD-s. If I like them I'd consider another set for my 1 year old Lange RX-130. I skimmed but didn't find conclusive answers/info as to:

1. How much responsiveness would I lose, if any, as compared to stock or alternative after market?

2. Where should I get it done? I wasn't able to find specific dealer info on their website. If I go to A-Basin I'd consider a drive to someone great in the area.

3. Is tweaking typically necessary after the initial fitting?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
My advice - find somebody that has done 100's of them, go at a very "not busy" time and get the WC's (the ones with the exit tubes at toes vs back pressure).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of Lange RS-130 with light use I'd like to equip with perhaps BD-s. If I like them I'd consider another set for my 1 year old Lange RX-130. I skimmed but didn't find conclusive answers/info as to:

1. How much responsiveness would I lose, if any, as compared to stock or alternative after market?

2. Where should I get it done? I wasn't able to find specific dealer info on their website. If I go to A-Basin I'd consider a drive to someone great in the area.

3. Is tweaking typically necessary after the initial fitting?
BD is right in SLC, do they do tehm t their location?

Chubb

Booting up
Skier
I got my BD Quick Foam liners with the optional foam tongue at Park City Ski Boot. The owner, Brent Amsbury, foamed my liners and they turned out great.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Bumping an old thread here...

I ski in Lange RS130's. Awesome boot, but my feet were never completely happy in the liners. Always felt like there were voids, or pressure spots. I almost never buckled in instep buckle, feet would be cold at the end of the day, etc. At the end of last season my feet were KILLING me.

So this summer I investigated options for replacement liners. Went to Feet First in Plymouth, NH where he did a pretty comprehensive evaluation of my feet. His analysis was that ZipFit's and Intuitions just weren't going to be a good fit for my feet and my shells given the limited amount of room in my shells (about 9mm behind the heel. Two fingers? Maybe for a newborn baby). He recommended using the BootDoc foam liners instead.

So yesterday I went back to get foamed. He put some pads on my instep and over a bunion to ensure a little more room there, put a bag over my sock to keep any leaking foam from ruining my socks, put the liner on, put the shell on, and squeezed the foam in. I didn't really look to see how much he was squeezing in, but he was putting enough in that excess foam was getting squeezed out.

He said "let me know when you feel the foam start to expand". I figured a little gentle squeeze against my foot etc. OH MY GOD. It felt like my foot was in the embrace of a vice or something. The Spanish Inquisition wishes they had torture devices like this. (Ok, maybe not that bad...). Deep breathing; it takes eight minutes I believe?

Pulled everything off, take a few minutes for my feet to recover. He recommended that I treat the liners as lace-ups, so pulled the liners back on, slipped my foot into the shell, and buckled up. For about the first time ever I was able to buckle the instep; hey, there's an improvement!. I figured there would be some pressure points or something -- I mean, they're ski boots! But now my boots have nice consistent pressure the whole way around my foot and up my shin. There's no pressure, but there's no lack of pressure either. It feels like you dream of ski boots feeling like. I'll have to wait a big longer to see how they feel on the hill, but early impressions are highly positive.

So now I have to get used to using lace-up liners. Not so bad in a nice climate controlled room... I have a feeling pulling them off at the end of a Stowe January ski day could be an "interesting" experience. Keep your friends close and the hair dryer closer or something like that.