• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bag for 10 year old ?

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Most young kids do the vertical skis by the front binding method. Keeps them from hitting things and people with the tails too.

The Texas suitcase and other goofy strap methods is just starting bad habits by delaying proper training. They need this skill to get in tram or gondola lines where you can’t pull out a strap so practice.

For your boots, try this.

IMG_4206.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I sold a ton of these when I was working at the ski shop.
Lots of color choices too.
Saw some of these today. Also saw a taller model by different brand. Kulkea was $80 and up. Other brand was in the $50 range.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you mean skis together, brakes hooked, binding resting on shoulder? Tips up. His skis are 120, maybe 130 cm so it might work. Although I can imagine some whining about his shoulder.

Tips down.

Started my son at 2. He walked back to the car with his poles.
Started carrying his own boot on a strap over his shoulder at 4.
Started carrying his own skis at 6.
They get used to it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw some of these today. Also saw a taller model by different brand. Kulkea was $80 and up. Other brand was in the $50 range.
I can't speak to other brands, but Kulkea is the gold standard in ski boot bags.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
To add to my post on DD's Kulkea, it is the Speedstar. Currently holding women's 23.5 boots in the side pockets, men's M Smith helmet in the middle, goggles, gloves and neck warmer in the helmet, and still room for rolled up snowpants. Off season I stuff the jacket in on top as well. It can fit a lot.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The local and the fish hook are the two that are correct. I think teaching littles the fish hook first is good since they will be less likely to hit cars and people. It is the way in crowded areas or tram/gondola lines.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To add to my post on DD's Kulkea, it is the Speedstar. Currently holding women's 23.5 boots in the side pockets, men's M Smith helmet in the middle, goggles, gloves and neck warmer in the helmet, and still room for rolled up snowpants. Off season I stuff the jacket in on top as well. It can fit a lot.
Did you see the new colors at Snowbound?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I waffle back and forth between the local and reverse local as I change shoulders. It's usually a long walk for me and after about 100 yards my shoulder starts to hurt from the weight of the skis so I flip them 180 degrees while passing them to the other shoulder. Poles are attached to the skis with a velcro strap around the tips and pole straps and master lock holding the pole shafts to the skis between the bindings. So all in one hand with other hand free the whole way..

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I waffle back and forth between the local and reverse local as I change shoulders. It's usually a long walk for me and after about 100 yards my shoulder starts to hurt from the weight of the skis so I flip them 180 degrees while passing them to the other shoulder. Poles are attached to the skis with a velcro strap around the tips and pole straps and master lock holding the pole shafts to the skis between the bindings. So all in one hand with other hand free the whole way..
The canvas (model a few years old) makes my Burton boot pack a bit heavier, but I love it for its height. I can balance my skis over my shoulder and across the top of the bag, leaving my hands free for whatever, and much of the weight of the skis is on the bag.

If you aren't carrying a backpack already (booted up in your car or nearby lodging?), Pure Mountain Fun makes a simple pack for carrying skis that folds up small to fit in a pocket. It comes in both adult and youth sizes. It was invented by a girl a few years ago when she was still in 8th grade. I think it started as a school project, but then the parents saw potential and started marketing the bag. She was at Snowbound manning the booth with her mother and brother. Thanks to her brother, there is now a snowboard version too.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
At about that age my son’s coach told the kids if she caught a parent carrying any piece of equipment for them they would have to carry all their gear including skis and poles up and down Main Street. If we forgot and even tried to help with anythinghe would yell at us…no, let me do it!
I don’t think she ever needed to enforce the rule.
In a few short years they were carrying packs on front and back. Two pairs of skis and a pair of poles without issues.

I’d get him a backpack style bag that holds all of his gear and work with him on carrying it with skis on one shoulder ( or vertically holding the binding toe piece in crowded spots) with poles in the other hand.

something like this would work.

For a ten year old the KULKEA Speed Star kid bag is perfect. If someone wants their child to carry more and the ten year old is large enough, then they could bump up to the KULKEA Speed Pack which would get them well into their teenage years.

Last edited:

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
My boy has a Transpack junior and it's nice. But the opening for central compartment barely fits his current helmet, so he might be getting something different soon.

Backpack style is for sure the way to go, That Speed Star Looks good too.

Kids should be taught to carry their own stuff BUT the weight of everything relative to bodyweight is pretty high for smaller ones. So I carry some of his stuff. Last season I usually carried both our skis while he carried all the poles. This season he's generally carrying his skis, while I take his poles. if the walk is long.
The KULKEA bags are designed to carry helmets too. The KULKEA Speed Star is perfectly sized for a young child up to about 11 years old. Plus, the shoulder straps are intentionally wider and softer for kid comfort, and the boot pocket zippers are extra long to allow the boot pockets to open entirely up making it easier for children to place their boots in the bag. Around 12 years old is a transitional size age, so parents at that point could consider whether using a KULKEA Speed Pack instead for more volume depending upon the size of the child.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Speed Star.... I like it. Boots to the side, helmet,etc in the middle. Plus a bit smaller. Straps for kids another plus. Wish my own bag was this organized. I will be jealous. As for carrying the skis that will be my job for a least part of the season. Don't want to ding any cars or me! Plus the small mountain we will ski most gets quite icy in the heavy traffic area of the racks and access from parking lot. They pound it with snow guns so the 'short cut' ends up 2 foot higher than the access from parking. Tricky, even in plain winter boots. Our 'early' 3 inches of snow has melted... so tomorrow I will go buy a pair of new ski socks to cure my pre-season itch. Anyone know the brand Eurosock? Not merino so I am a bit unsure? But I trust the local shop, so I'm game.
The KULKEA Speed Star is sized just right for kids as their little frames should carry just so much weight. The bag is a front loader to help avoid forgetting anything. The back panel is spacer mesh Side boot pockets open all the way up for ease of use by kids. Shoulder straps are wider and softer for comfort. YKK zippers only. Corrosive resistant grommets. Designed to fit helmets. Around the age of 12 years old or larger kids could move up to a KULKEA Speed Pack or other larger bag if their frame is larger enough to handle it.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
There are cheap brands on the market. We instead focus on technical design, better materials, quality, social responsibility (no child or forced labor) and ECO leading. Our view is you get what you pay for. FYI - I noticed your site name has Cape Cod in it. A cool fact is that I designed the Speed Star over the summer while down Cape.

Sponsor

Staff online