• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bag for 10 year old ?

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Any suggestions for an inexpensive boot bag for my grandson. What features should I look for? I worry the backpack style might be too heavy? Too awkward, even carried by a handle? Last year I used a big duffel bag with his and my boots and it was nightmare. this year he is skiing so handling boots and skis will be a major challenge. One super advantage of boarding was him wearing the boots to the mountain! Happy
Thanksgiving to everyone....
:Cristmassnow:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get the backpack. Kids are used to them stuffed with all their school stuff which is heavy enough. He can keep all his ski gear in there ,helmet , gloves goggles, balaclava, etc. When everything is always in one bag, theres much less chance of losing or forgetting anything

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
He has pack he uses for baseball.... 2 bats, glove, helmet, even separate space for spikes. So I am sure he can handle a ski bag. One concern was the adjustments in straps. We swapped one baseball pack because the straps were meant for adults and hard to shorten. Don't remember if he ever used the chest strap? My concern really was the damn ski boots, bulky and heavier. The BOA boots he used for snowboarding were heaven, light, easy to walk in, BOA tightening. I will look at the Transpack. Some of the packs I saw in use last year were absolutely huge, boxy looking. I was hoping to avoid that.
BTW is there a box to check or setting I need to use to know when there has been a response to the thread? Thanks.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
At about that age my son’s coach told the kids if she caught a parent carrying any piece of equipment for them they would have to carry all their gear including skis and poles up and down Main Street. If we forgot and even tried to help with anythinghe would yell at us…no, let me do it!
I don’t think she ever needed to enforce the rule.
In a few short years they were carrying packs on front and back. Two pairs of skis and a pair of poles without issues.

I’d get him a backpack style bag that holds all of his gear and work with him on carrying it with skis on one shoulder ( or vertically holding the binding toe piece in crowded spots) with poles in the other hand.

something like this would work.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Get them their own bags, let them manage and haul their own gear.. But I'd still keep a spare pair of gloves, goggles, and socks in my bag because... kids LOL!

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
At about that age my son’s coach told the kids if she caught a parent carrying any piece of equipment for them they would have to carry all their gear including skis and poles up and down Main Street. If we forgot and even tried to help with anythinghe would yell at us…no, let me do it!
I don’t think she ever needed to enforce the rule.
In a few short years they were carrying packs on front and back. Two pairs of skis and a pair of poles without issues.

I’d get him a backpack style bag that holds all of his gear and work with him on carrying it with skis on one shoulder ( or vertically holding the binding toe piece in crowded spots) with poles in the other hand.

something like this would work.

Speed Star.... I like it. Boots to the side, helmet,etc in the middle. Plus a bit smaller. Straps for kids another plus. Wish my own bag was this organized. I will be jealous. As for carrying the skis that will be my job for a least part of the season. Don't want to ding any cars or me! Plus the small mountain we will ski most gets quite icy in the heavy traffic area of the racks and access from parking lot. They pound it with snow guns so the 'short cut' ends up 2 foot higher than the access from parking. Tricky, even in plain winter boots. Our 'early' 3 inches of snow has melted... so tomorrow I will go buy a pair of new ski socks to cure my pre-season itch. Anyone know the brand Eurosock? Not merino so I am a bit unsure? But I trust the local shop, so I'm game.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
My boy has a Transpack junior and it's nice. But the opening for central compartment barely fits his current helmet, so he might be getting something different soon.

Backpack style is for sure the way to go, That Speed Star Looks good too.

Kids should be taught to carry their own stuff BUT the weight of everything relative to bodyweight is pretty high for smaller ones. So I carry some of his stuff. Last season I usually carried both our skis while he carried all the poles. This season he's generally carrying his skis, while I take his poles. if the walk is long.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I sold a ton of these when I was working at the ski shop.
Lots of color choices too.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Kids should be taught to carry their own stuff BUT the weight of everything relative to bodyweight is pretty high for smaller ones. So I carry some of his stuff. Last season I usually carried both our skis while he carried all the poles. This season he's generally carrying his skis, while I take his poles. if the walk is long.

We could talk about teaching him the two correct ways to carry skis but, if I remember correctly, that thread got a bit contentious.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I have purchased the velcro straps for carrying, I thing the "on the shoulder with one hand on ski" method would be asking too much. We will see if he, or I, can handle both backpack and skis hung from the shoulder by straps. I may still carry the pack by the handle. The lodge at our closest mountain has heavy wood doors that swing shut quickly. I can see the backpacks getting stuck...lol. Definitely carry by handle thru the doors! If weather continues to be cold I might make a run to Gore midweek to test what I have learned from the threads and videos. Much more confident using the SPREAD the boot vs pushing tongue forward method when it comes to getting into the boots. Plus I switched to a softer boot and will heat them on the way to the mountain. My son's Dolomite performance boots I tried to use last year were sized correctly but god awful for me to get on and off. Hopefully that has been resolved!

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
If weather continues to be cold I might make a run to Gore midweek to test what I have learned from the threads and videos. Much more confident using the SPREAD the boot vs pushing tongue forward method when it comes to getting into the boots. Plus I switched to a softer boot and will heat them on the way to the mountain. My son's Dolomite performance boots I tried to use last year were sized correctly but god awful for me to get on and off. Hopefully that has been resolved!
Try a boothorn for getting into boots. They can sometimes help a lot.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Yep, have a shiny red one for this year. Last year's trick was putting my foot in one of the light produce bags you find in markets. Punch my toes thru so I could yank it out before skiing. Helped a lot on the way in. Taking off I would loosen buckles (difficult for a 70+ exhausted skier) then slam shins forward and wedge heel up and out. The Dolomite liner's had a substantial 'bump' inward at both sides of the ankle. Great for a better skier but difficult for an exhausted old guy to get out of. Hopefully I will not look as helpless this year. :crossfingers:

Sponsor