• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bag for 10 year old ?

phillc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The young fella (9yrs old) has this Atomic bag. This will be its third season. Easily fits a pair of children's sized boots, helmet, goggles, gloves and back protector. It's basically just one big cavern inside, with a very small inside pocket, just right for a neck buff but that's all. He's happy enough carrying this around on his back and is probably lighter than his school bag.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
There are cheap brands on the market. We instead focus on technical design, better materials, quality, social responsibility (no child or forced labor) and ECO leading. Our view is you get what you pay for. FYI - I noticed your site name has Cape Cod in it. A cool fact is that I designed the Speed Star over the summer while down Cape.
Our place is in Chatham... but I confess... not beachfront.

Since I have you here as an EXPERT. Why can't I as a 73 year old figure out how to get into a boot backpack? I found a Kulkea knockoff (sorry) here at a ski shop for the grandson. But I have tried 3 different 50L bags for myself. Helmet sets in flap pocket on top of boots in 2 versions. The third version had boots to the side. Fits gear well BUT They always seem to have straps that are too short for me. I am 5 10 just a bit over 200 pounds. On the last side load bag I WAS able to loosen straps to a longer length at last. A bit easier to put on but it hangs super long... a no go. Adjustments for straps are out of reach with bag on. Never been a hiker but I carried golf clubs for years... 1 strap and 2 strap versions with no problem. Before I totally give up and go back to a boot duffel WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Even with just a sweater on I get one arm thru, with help get 2nd arm thru but can not get the strap up over shoulder. Zero change with a ski jacket on. Thanks.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Our place is in Chatham... but I confess... not beachfront.

Since I have you here as an EXPERT. Why can't I as a 73 year old figure out how to get into a boot backpack? I found a Kulkea knockoff (sorry) here at a ski shop for the grandson. But I have tried 3 different 50L bags for myself. Helmet sets in flap pocket on top of boots in 2 versions. The third version had boots to the side. Fits gear well BUT They always seem to have straps that are too short for me. I am 5 10 just a bit over 200 pounds. On the last side load bag I WAS able to loosen straps to a longer length at last. A bit easier to put on but it hangs super long... a no go. Adjustments for straps are out of reach with bag on. Never been a hiker but I carried golf clubs for years... 1 strap and 2 strap versions with no problem. Before I totally give up and go back to a boot duffel WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Even with just a sweater on I get one arm thru, with help get 2nd arm thru but can not get the strap up over shoulder. Zero change with a ski jacket on. Thanks.
I'm in Brewster, but not beachfront either. I like our tucked-away privacy instead. Beachfront is overrated. ogsmile

I'm not sure which bags you were checking-out, but our Boot Trekker or SP Pro should easily fit. The issue with the other bags may be that they have simple daypack bag straps, which are typically shorter than those on a hiking backpack. The Boot Trekker and SP Pro use hiking grade support systems. They've fit me no problem at 6'2" and 215 lbs. Plus, they have pack release which makes it easy to remove a full bag from your back. Lastly, the Boot Trekker is a bit shorter in height (18") than the SP Pro (19.5"), so if you're concerned with the height of the bag I'd go for the Boot Trekker.

Last edited:
TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I'm in Brewster, but not beachfront either. I like our tucked-away privacy instead. Beachfront is overrated. ogsmile

I'm not sure which bags you were checking-out, but our Boot Trekker or SP Pro should easily fit. The issue with the other bags may be that they have simple daypack bag straps, which are typically shorter than those on a hiking backpack. The Boot Trekker and SP Pro use hiking grade support systems. They've fit me no problem at 6'2" and 215 lbs. Plus, they have pack release which makes it easy to remove a full bag from your back. Lastly, the Boot Trekker is a bit shorter in height (18") than the SP Pro (19.5"), so if you're concerned with the height of the bag I'd go for the Boot Trekker.
I actually added strap length... Appears to work, so far. I can foresee a return to my trusty E Bauer duffel in the my future. Of course I have to get on the mountain first. Gore seems determined to keep those of us who want to start out on green trails off the mountain. I need away to get from Upper Sunway without skiing 3b or Quicksilver. Frustrating.
Chatham just ran sewer lines past our place so we have some major expense ahead. We will be mandated to hook up in a couple of years. Although Lighthouse Beach and Hardings are closest we usually use Jackknife Beach over by Eastward Ho. Away from the crowds is a plus for sure. For us having owned for more than 25 years the biggest plus is being able to NEVER travel on changeover days. Cape Traffic? Bridge traffic? Not a problem if you are a retired owner. Although the 5 hour trek from Upstate NY is getting to be a challenge. Our solution... fewer trips... stay longer!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I actually added strap length... Appears to work, so far. I can foresee a return to my trusty E Bauer duffel in the my future. Of course I have to get on the mountain first. Gore seems determined to keep those of us who want to start out on green trails off the mountain. I need away to get from Upper Sunway without skiing 3b or Quicksilver. Frustrating.
Chatham just ran sewer lines past our place so we have some major expense ahead. We will be mandated to hook up in a couple of years. Although Lighthouse Beach and Hardings are closest we usually use Jackknife Beach over by Eastward Ho. Away from the crowds is a plus for sure. For us having owned for more than 25 years the biggest plus is being able to NEVER travel on changeover days. Cape Traffic? Bridge traffic? Not a problem if you are a retired owner. Although the 5 hour trek from Upstate NY is getting to be a challenge. Our solution... fewer trips... stay longer!
I'm spoiled with an under 2 hour trip from Boston, but I still stay longer because it's just nice down there.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Our son lives and works in Boston. During Covid our Cape house was his office. Not sure about Brewster but in Chatham every year we lose another motel or two. Some are bought to provide summer help housing. It is forcing visitors into VRBO type vacations... expensive because many require 2 week stays. The Cape towns are constantly trying to kill the golden goose by trying to limit or even ban short term rentals. Hard to believe a two week $8000 rental is short term! We use to rent to friends but quit because of the potential hassle with local regs. Restaurants also have gone through a major upgrade in pricing.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Our son lives and works in Boston. During Covid our Cape house was his office. Not sure about Brewster but in Chatham every year we lose another motel or two. Some are bought to provide summer help housing. It is forcing visitors into VRBO type vacations... expensive because many require 2 week stays. The Cape towns are constantly trying to kill the golden goose by trying to limit or even ban short term rentals. Hard to believe a two week $8000 rental is short term! We use to rent to friends but quit because of the potential hassle with local regs. Restaurants also have gone through a major upgrade in pricing.
Like the rest of the country, Covid brought with it a huge surge in property prices and price increases at restaurants. They can't get enough help anywhere. Brewster is on the bay side so erosion isn't as much an issue for our town, but I see its effects for sure when I off road at Nauset these days.

Sponsor

Staff online