• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode's Miller unorthodox skiing style.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vreni Schneider won the women's World Cup overall 3 times with those boots.

images
I knew there were others, major ones, you are better at Google searches than me. :hail:

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
I remember her clearly, I was thinking of buying a pair back then myself. Not a good fit for my flippers though.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Keep in mind that the ski technology was very different back when the Flexon was used as a four event race boot. The discipline that has changed the least is DH, though it has evolved. The skis are "better" by a longshot.
However, touch, feel, the ability to glide {a huge factor in many races} has always been important.

We have no clue as to what's going on with the recent Bode events. I personally don't think this is Bode mounting a comeback that has him seriously thinking he can win. Therefore, it could be many things. In other threads, there's speculation about what becomes of Full Tilt after the Newell "sales." Is that part of this?

I doubt if this is Bode thinking that the Full Tilt is the absolute best boot for Bode to race DH. It might be his best option, there might be more at play in terms of the brand. Dunno.

By the time Bode emerged as a skier, the Flexon was pretty much gone. Bode first emerged as a tech skier. Really as a SL skier. Back then he was in a series of exceptionally stiff boots, right or wrong. He has long levers, was strong and could crush the boots.

No doubt even then, he had softened and "cut" boots for speed. Obviously by the Nordica, and Rossi years. He'd use his physical talents quite differently in speed. But I still think he'd need more boot than the original Flexon for almost all of his skiing.

Depending on how real this comeback is, they'll probably be tweaking those Full Tilts all sorts of ways. Bode loves the equipment "thing". Always pushing it. I can see how it could be an interesting and effective boot for him. As all he is contemplating racing is speed, and he's 39.

But, like I said there seems to be a lot more at work here than Bode trying to find the best boot to mount a comeback to win.

I've read comments that folks would love to seem him win in Kitz. "Maybe that's his goal?" I think if that were his goal, he'd be on Head. He has no chance at skiing at that level, and regardless of what might get stated, that can't be a goal.

The plan has to be different. Interesting to see it unfold,

How many people were thinking about Bode, Bomber skis, and seeing a Full Tilt boot possibly being skied in a WC DH a month ago? Or talking about Marc Giradelli. This stuff is all good for those brands....

Could be a lot going on, I think.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The same could be said for some of the stuff that worked for Bode, it worked for him.

And, to be sure, he is supernatural. This is my favorite video, I think it captures his out-of-this-world skill an athleticism, especially in super slow-mo:

No wonder some of the stuff he does/did is really, pretty unique. You can try to imitate technique, but you can't copy 'genius'
:hail:

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
No kidding. As I went back to the youtube window where I had watched the video I posted above, I saw a suggested video. MIller by Miller:

By the 30s mark, he is actually saying that his skiing style is not orthodox, literally! LOL. But his reflections about himself and how he sees skiing are illuminating, particularly in the light of the wealth of background given by @Muleski

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a difference between his style and his technique / mechanics.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And, to be sure, he is supernatural. This is my favorite video, I think it captures his out-of-this-world skill an athleticism, especially in super slow-mo:

No wonder some of the stuff he does/did is really, pretty unique. You can try to imitate technique, but you can't copy 'genius'
:hail:
One other factor is luck, not just lucky horseshoe type luck, but team of horses complete with horseshoes type luck.

Some have, some never do, Bode, consistently is able to pull in it.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Vreni Schneider won the women's World Cup overall 3 times with those boots.

images

I knew there were others, major ones, you are better at Google searches than me. :hail:

I remember her clearly, I was thinking of buying a pair back then myself. Not a good fit for my flippers though.
Going off topic, a bit, on the Flexon angle, haven't googled anywhere but my memories here and a name comes to mind : Katja Seizinger.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The Full Tilt is a "non starter" as a race boot with today's skis, surfaces, and course sets.
Word is that Bode couldn't get the boot to work on any steep terrain, and couldn't "get them to turn" during his short time in Portillo. He claims he could glide in it. No surprise there.
Both women mentioned skied in the boot 20 plus years ago. Different world. Skis were entirely different. Like straight. I can think of one guy who raced in the boot, and he killed in on the flattest DH in Olympic history. 32 years ago.
Bode's probably not coming back, and if he has some half baked attempt, it will likely be in a Doberman boot. Just what you hear.
Right now he's busy moving into their new house, getting ready for the new baby, and I guess trying to sell some Bomber skis. We'll see shortly.
No more time on snow, no gym sightings that I've heard of. And a lot of questiions, BTW, about the skis. It does not add up to a WC speed comeback.
Please. Quit being so stubborn, Bode, and retire. Let the ski world celebrate your great career. And be smart about your business deals. I hear more people wondering about them, not just Bomber.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online