• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Mtn moguls

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
Liberty mogul crew went up to Blue Mtn PA for some fannntastic bump skiing yesterday. Yowzaa!! :)

Blue Moguls 1.jpg

Gotta get more before they melt...

TS
R

recbumper

Getting off the lift
Skier
During cold winter, the moguls usually last about 10 days to 2 weeks. Liberty has heavy traffic on relatively narrow trails so over that time period the bumps tend to get tracked out. By the end of 10 days to 2 weeks we are hoping for a groom so we can re-set fresh.

In spring the snow is softer and the bumps get tracked out sooner, usually 5-7 days before we are hoping for a groom & reset.

If the trails were wider the bumps would probably keep good quality more or less indefinitely.

It also helps to Slip the moguls regularly to maintain symmetry & smooth shapes.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
During cold winter, the moguls usually last about 10 days to 2 weeks. Liberty has heavy traffic on relatively narrow trails so over that time period the bumps tend to get tracked out. By the end of 10 days to 2 weeks we are hoping for a groom so we can re-set fresh.

In spring the snow is softer and the bumps get tracked out sooner, usually 5-7 days before we are hoping for a groom & reset.

If the trails were wider the bumps would probably keep good quality more or less indefinitely.

It also helps to Slip the moguls regularly to maintain symmetry & smooth shapes.
Sounds like there are multiple bumped up runs all season there. I have not skied Liberty. Am trying to decide what multi-pass to buy. I favor Ikon but if Liberty tends to have more than one run with bumps on it all season, I may look into options for skiing there. I live in DC. That 1.5 hour drive is somewhat doable for day trips.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Sounds like there are multiple bumped up runs all season there. I have not skied Liberty. Am trying to decide what multi-pass to buy. I favor Ikon but if Liberty tends to have more than one run with bumps on it all season, I may look into options for skiing there. I live in DC. That 1.5 hour drive is somewhat doable for day trips.
Liberty and Whitetail are ok but for folks in DC the best place to ski in my opinion is Timberline. They get real snow and it is much colder so snowmaking is much more reliable. Plus the terrain and vertical are better. If you live in Northern VA the extra hour drive is worth it. I have day tripped it although it is a long day. Just my two cents.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Eminently doable if you find someone to split gas with;)

IKON only gives you Snowshoe

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Eminently doable if you find someone to split gas with;)
That would be good. I'm missing my 50+ days per season.
@Tom Holtmann, Timberline sounds lovely but frequently driving that long (c.3+hr), out and back, for a day trip is not going to happen. I'm not in the market for purchasing lodging.

Are there ski clubs with lodges at Timberline? What's the bump situation at Timberline?

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
That would be good. I'm missing my 50+ days per season.
@Tom Holtmann, Timberline sounds lovely but frequently driving that long (c.3+hr), out and back, for a day trip is not going to happen. I'm not in the market for purchasing lodging.

Are there ski clubs with lodges at Timberline? What's the bump situation at Timberline?
I don't know of any ski clubs that have lodging. There are several hotels that are relatively cheap especially during the week. Canaan Valley where the mountain is located is really a beautiful place. The mountain was purchased by a family three years ago and they are really dedicated to providing a great experience. The consensus is that they are blowing all the other mountains in the mid-atlantic away. They generally leave one of their expert runs bumped up. They are best known for their tree skiing. Whitetail has a dedicated bump run that has good terrain and is very good when the weather is good. I never skied at Liberty which is the smallest of the three.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Non-existent. They pride themselves on their grooming. Not that you can’t find a few bumps, but they don’t ever look like anything pictured above…
Yes they usually only leave off the Wall or The Drop (I forget which one) ungroomed and bumped. The run they leave ungroomed is the steepest run on the mountain but relatively short.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes they usually only leave off the Wall or The Drop (I forget which one) ungroomed and bumped. The run they leave ungroomed is the steepest run on the mountain but relatively short.
Tom, I was only up there once and everything was groomed, and from all the chatter about the lack of bumps this year, it seems that grooming took priority. I hope that changes next year.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Was that Razors that those bumps were on? Haven’t been there in several weeks.
I was wondering what trail also. Thought it might be one of the Black Diamond trails.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Tom, I was only up there once and everything was groomed, and from all the chatter about the lack of bumps this year, it seems that grooming took priority. I hope that changes next year.
I've skied there like 300 times. Normally they leave Off the Wall ungroomed and groom everything else which is what I said in my original post. So yes, it would be great if they let more terrain bump up. On the other hand, they allow tree skiing and often have the snow to make it viable and they are actively putting big money into the resort which both make them pretty unique in the Mid-Atlantic. I haven't been there for a couple of years so maybe they groom OTW more regularly now. Either way it sounds like it is too far to be a viable option for the poster.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering what trail also. Thought it might be one of the Black Diamond trails.
I was away last week but just went back and looked at their FB page. Seems they actually seeded Razors. Would have been fun!. Sounds like they are actually blowing snow tonight. Not giving up without a fight.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't buy a pass to Liberty until you've visited. My two cents.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
but if Liberty tends to have more than one run with bumps on it all season

They have more than one "run" bumped, but IME it's usually just the steeper top sections of a couple of runs. Not a lot of turns in those sections. There's usually really 1 bump run of any length.

Whitetail has a dedicated bump run that has good terrain and is very good when the weather is good.

Exhibition at Whitetail is great, but they have struggled lately to have enough snow to get it bumped up... though I haven't been there much the last couple of seasons, and have been going to Massanutten and Timberline more due to conditions. My one day at Whitetail this season Exhibition was bumped, but small to moderate bumps - like it had been fairly recently groomed.

I've skied there like 300 times. Normally they leave Off the Wall ungroomed and groom everything else which is what I said in my original post. So yes, it would be great if they let more terrain bump up.

Did you ski it this past season? Several complaints in the Timberline threads here that everything was groomed - including Off the Wall an The Drop both. And the couple of times I was there this season, there were no bumps. Seems like that was more the norm this year than letting either of them bump up.

At other times in recent seasons, they have let one or both bump up which is fun - but they've been very irregular. Fine by me, but not a seeded/zipper style bump run, again in my limited experience of 2 or 3 visits a season.

Ski Roundtop in the Liberty/Whitetail/Roundtop group is another option if Gunbarrel is covered and allowed to bump up. I think this has been hit or miss as well.

Massanutten has Mak-Attack as a bump run usually, but it was groomed the one time they had it open when I was there this season. They did let No Hessitation bump up though, which was fun, but not open for very much of the season.

Massanutten 020224 015 ACR Conv.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January