• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzak wear bars

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Ron. I'm also waiting until Black Friday next month to pick up a new set of Snow Tires. You did not mention the tire size you need. Discount Tire in Denver seems to offer the best deals. This was last years sale. 10% off tires, extra 10% with Discount Tire Credit Card and manufacture rebate coupons stackable.

Discount Tire
Supporting Vendor
Joined Jun 7, 2010
712 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 10 months ago
This Black Friday save 10% by rebate when you buy a select set of four tires or four wheels.

WANT TO SAVE MORE?

Receive an additional 10% by rebate (20% total) if you complete the transaction using Discount Tire credit.

AT THE STORE:

Black Friday Tire and Wheel Deals | Discount Tire

Black Friday Tire and Wheel Deals | America's Tire

TO YOUR DOOR:

Black Friday Tire and Wheel Deals | Discount Tire Direct

blackFriday_DT-AT18EPIC.jpg

Show Full Signature
Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Useful Links:

Bookmark

Discount Tire
Supporting Vendor
Joined Jun 7, 2010
712 Posts
Discussion Starter • #2 10 months ago
-TTT-

This offer is combinable with the following manufacturer rebates for even MORE SAVINGS!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, I think I might switch to Nokian Hakkas when I need new ones because they don't seem to have the 1/2 tread issue that Blizzaks have.

My Hakkas wore poorly. Of course after I reported that here, Muleski said that it was because I didn't overinflate them. :huh:

I hate magic knowledge.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of the dealerships are having rebates and match total price before discounts/rebates. But suspect overall savings will be limited.

Course, driving to a "big city" may cost gas but if going I'd presume it'd include exploring the town. Could do a future roadtrip to use some of the IKON benefits ogsmile, tire savings for a nice hotel room for you and mrs!

TIrerack pricing includes shipping and they recommend an installer .. or maybe you can ping the Ice driving school folks for coupons! Is there still a Bridgestone Ice Driving School at the boat?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/make-sure-your-tires-have-enough-tread-for-winter/
Consumer Reports tested worn snow tires. Money quote:

In CR tire tests, we started to see a decline in the performance of tires with half their tread depth still left.

Snow traction when accelerating fell by 14.5 percent and wet stopping distances increased by about 7 percent, among other findings, when the tires were compared to new versions with full tread depth.

All the tires tested worked well in dry and temperate conditions.

Half the tread depth is where Blizzaks run out of soft rubber, and a little less than the wear bars.

dm
That 14% is without a change in tire compound. I'm cheap! I'll live with 86% snow traction; 86% of the Hakka snow traction is still better than most new winter tires. I don't think I would want to add the loss attributable to switching to the non-miracle rubber compound on top of the 14% loss. I see a lot of freezing rain here. There's nothing like a layer of water on top of nicely polished ice to make you appreciate your winter tires' rubber compound.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
.. or maybe you can ping the Ice driving school folks for coupons! Is there still a Bridgestone Ice Driving School at the boat?

Yes there is. Sounds like a great excuse to spring for the driving school this winter!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
fwiw- my Local Jeep dealer gave me a great price of 1150 installed for DM-v2's. And, since I had to put my old ones on to get to steadman, they credited me with an additional $60. :thumb:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
When Blizzaks are down to the first wear bars, they have about 6/32 of tread left. That's not enough for a usable snow tire, regardless of the compound. The dual compound doesn't reduce the life of a Blizzak at all, it just gives you a quieter tire (because the hard compound dissipates heat better) and a better summer tire at the end of its life.
The OP is from Steamboat(Ron).You may already know this but Colorado passed a new tire requirement for winter driving. A long,127 mile section of I70 west out of Denver
now requires a minumun tread depth of 3/16" on all vehicles, 2x4,4x4, and all wheel drive. Chains or tire socks in the vehicle on 2x4 to be available if road conditions require. Rest of the state still has a 2/16" minimum requirement. Folks visiting Colorado may not be aware. (Although I sure wouldn't hit the I-70 sh*t show without 4x4/ AWD and GOOD tires). FWIW, Tire Rack advises replacing tires at 3/16" also. One other thing to think about; the coating on the tires inpedes maximum traction until driven a couple hundred miles. So don't think they suck if you get in some snow at the get.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online