• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzak wear bars

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Can Anyone explain how to tell if my Blizzaks are worn past the most effective level? I see a wear bar on the tire but looking online, there's a lot of confusion. are there 2 different wear bars? I'll get pic if it helps.

THANKS!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20191008_144618.jpg

Top left is the snow wear bar. This tire has close to zero snow tread. Bottom middle are the minimum legal tread bars. Tires are fine for summer hwy use.

Reactions: Ron

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
If they are right at the first set of bars then they'll be about as good as a regular snow tire, but no longer have the higher performing rubber layer. I usually use them for one more winter at that point since there is a lot of tread depth left, then drive them through the summer and replace them in the fall. If you want max performance then now is the time to change them out.

Snow this week in the Boat!!! :golfclap:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
ok thanks @Bruuuce yeah, they are just about equal to the bar so I guess I'll drive them a bit and get new ones. Who do you use in town? Believe it or not, I got the best price of 1200 inclusive at Jeep. DM-v2

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Very important to respect the snow bars on Blizzaks - not only do you lose snow and slush due to the shallow tread depth, but you also lose the sticky rubber compound for hardpack and ice; the bottom half of the tread is a different compound.

BTW, I've noticed (on my X-ice) that that miracle compound that works so well between O C and -20 C, does not work so well at -40 (C or F).

Bruuuce

Skier
ok thanks @Bruuuce yeah, they are just about equal to the bar so I guess I'll drive them a bit and get new ones. Who do you use in town? Believe it or not, I got the best price of 1200 inclusive at Jeep. DM-v2

I got my latest set mounted on another set of wheels (for our truck) at tire rack so I haven't bought them in SB yet. I actually paid a little less than that for wheels mounted on alloy rims. Man Steamboat living is expensive...

FYI, I think I might switch to Nokian Hakkas when I need new ones because they don't seem to have the 1/2 tread issue that Blizzaks have. I'll have to see who has those, if anybody, in SB.

Good hunting!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
looks like I can get a set of DM-V2 through Tire Rack for about 1100.00. Anyone else buy a set lately? Curious of what others hav paid.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
If they are right at the first set of bars then they'll be about as good as a regular snow tire, but no longer have the higher performing rubber layer.
When Blizzaks are down to the first wear bars, they have about 6/32 of tread left. That's not enough for a usable snow tire, regardless of the compound. The dual compound doesn't reduce the life of a Blizzak at all, it just gives you a quieter tire (because the hard compound dissipates heat better) and a better summer tire at the end of its life.

dm

Bruuuce

Skier
When Blizzaks are down to the first wear bars, they have about 6/32 of tread left. That's not enough for a usable snow tire, regardless of the compound. dm

All I can say is that I've used them for winter at that depth and they've performed well. Opinions differ as well as driving ability...

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^^^ that's what I was told at my Jeep dealership as well, they are fine s snows,

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
All I can say is that I've used them for winter at that depth and they've performed well. Opinions differ as well as driving ability...
https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/make-sure-your-tires-have-enough-tread-for-winter/
Consumer Reports tested worn snow tires. Money quote:

In CR tire tests, we started to see a decline in the performance of tires with half their tread depth still left.

Snow traction when accelerating fell by 14.5 percent and wet stopping distances increased by about 7 percent, among other findings, when the tires were compared to new versions with full tread depth.

All the tires tested worked well in dry and temperate conditions.

Half the tread depth is where Blizzaks run out of soft rubber, and a little less than the wear bars.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
^^^ that's what I was told at my Jeep dealership as well, they are fine s snows,
But your Jeep dealer isn't gonna be driving them.

dm

Bruuuce

Skier
I didn't say they were as good as new. Just said that they performed well enough for me. I'm OK with a 14.5% decrease for one more winter because I can manage that. For others I understand that wouldn't work. Each individual has to decide what is acceptable. :beercheer:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I think the CR report supports exactly what we are saying, they aren't as good as the brand new Blizzaks but are still perfectly fine as a "snow tire". you are only losing the very top of ice grip performance. I am actually surprised its only 14% decrease, thats actually pretty negligible. so it still retains 86% of performance......