• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding that is movable in position

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Added complexity. And therefore added costs and failure points.

For a feature which 99% of consumers never want and 99.5% of consumers will never use more than once.

Damn, it does feel good to be a 0.5 percenter...

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Added complexity. And therefore added costs and failure points.

For a feature which 99% of consumers never want and 99.5% of consumers will never use more than once.
That last part is the real reason: no demand for them, outside of expert/elite skiers, mostly.

Marker kept them going because some of their elite/pro athletes use them, including skiers in house.

As far as added costs and failure points, no, not in high volume tech shops nor in my experience.

I've owned two dozen of them, still have them on all my fat skis; not a single problem in all these years of use. Not one.
Same with the high volume shop I'm associated with.

On the other hand, there are a number of bindings over the years with failure problems, that sold well, and still do.
Look Pivots, for example, are notorious for failures, and absurd costs for the resulting replacement parts/install.
This has not interfered with demand in the market place.

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I can't remember the Brand or Model name of the binding that is adjustable while in it's regular fix position. Help
Also, take a look at Vist Speedlock bindings if you want a (almost) race level connection and tool less ability to move fore and aft. Great bindings for more racy or piste skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is VIST still making bindings or are they all old stock?

James

Out There
Instructor
Does it matter? They are Italian and they don't want to sell you any; go away now :P
Only matters for clerical reasons. Maybe Augment will buy them and make them even more unavailable. Just to make sure.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That last part is the real reason: no demand for them, outside of expert/elite skiers, mostly.

Marker kept them going because some of their elite/pro athletes use them, including skiers in house.

As far as added costs and failure points, no, not in high volume tech shops nor in my experience.

I've owned two dozen of them, still have them on all my fat skis; not a single problem in all these years of use. Not one.
Same with the high volume shop I'm associated with.

On the other hand, there are a number of bindings over the years with failure problems, that sold well, and still do.
Look Pivots, for example, are notorious for failures, and absurd costs for the resulting replacement parts/install.
This has not interfered with demand in the market place.

Correct me if I am wrong but dont the XVar/Stockli WRT move as a whole unit, I mean toe and heel together.
I mean if such system is prone to failures Stockli would be unwise to put them on their premium skis, ain‘t that right?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vist is still producing bindings but... from what I am to understand, they are only available as a system with a ski purchase. Paging @Premier Skis to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
All VIST plate system bindings (Speedlock, Speedcom, Speedspacer) all have the ability to be moved fore and aft without remounting the bindings, although in terms of movement, the Speedlock probably offers the most flexibility. As @Philpug suggests, we currently are only selling them when bundled with skis due to our current supply agreements. We hope to be offering them standalone next season. If you have a special circumstance, don't hesitate to ask us as we may be able to help!

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
We don't sell this, but it's another option for folks that might want to have 2 mounting points on a ski (alpine / tele for example) or simply want to move a non-plate binding from ski to ski:

Sponsor

Staff online