• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding mounting question

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think others have this covered...

If I did this to my own skis, I'd be pissed but would back out the screws, replace them with shorter screws, and try my best to get the base back to normal.

But if this is a professional job, that I was paying for...it's not acceptable. They should replace your skis.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Got the Attack 2 Warden 13 bindings mounted"
Unclear: are your bindings Tyrolia Attack2 or Salomon/Atomic Warden bindings? Or Tyrolia screws used in Sal-o-tomic bindings, or vice versa?

In any case, a ski shop "technician" will be looking for a new gig, maybe back to the tire shop or feed store.

TS
D

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Appreciate everyone's help.

In my haste/frantic, I left out an important detail. The binding is the DEMO Tyrolia Attack2 13 that I bought new from another member on this forum.

Just landed in LAX, and don't see a response from the shop. Could be a bumpy road ahead toward resolution.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

In my haste/frantic, I left out an important detail. The binding is the DEMO Tyrolia Attack2 13 that I bought new from another member on this forum.

Just landed in LAX, and don't see a response from the shop. Could be a bumpy road ahead toward resolution.

Good luck.
What was the length of the ski again?

James

Out There
Instructor
They should do something for you, but the skis prob aren’t ruined if the whole area is not displaced. Besides, those are 2021 Factions, nothing stops them apparently, not even Candide.

I mean it’s not the end of the world to just ski them with new screws, little epoxy, a base grind. They need a grind anyway most likely.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Not important, but irrelevant.
You have a paper trail so you can deal with it when you get back.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

I hope you brought other skis to ski on. I would not ski on the damaged skis until the fix or replacement is resolved with the shop.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hope you brought other skis to ski on. I would not ski on the damaged skis until the fix or replacement is resolved with the shop.
Rent some demo skis and save that receipt too. If they waffle on reimbursing you ask them if you were supposed to cancel the trip because they cancelled your new skis...

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
While new bindings would have come with screws, the shop still should know to use proper screws for your case. Will be intersted to hear what happens. Good luck in Mammoth and back at the shop.

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
What happens if the shop denies it and says you did it after messing with them? ive seen that happen numerous times because the shop/Techs ego has been bruised

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What happens if the shop denies it and says you did it after messing with them?

1668682178210.png

James

Out There
Instructor
What happens if the shop is hit by another meteorite, and is gone before you get back?

TS
D

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Took the skis back to the shop and they are going to fix them. The shop offered up lots of excuses for what had happened but nothing much in compensation other than refunding the cost for the mounting.

On the brighter side, skiing at Mammoth was pretty awesome.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Took the skis back to the shop and they are going to fix them. The shop offered up lots of excuses for what had happened but nothing much in compensation other than refunding the cost for the mounting.

If they just grind them you should ask how many skiing days they removed by grinding the bottoms.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
using childrens drillbit, or not cleaning out holes = you get this

since the ski is unoptaniuum, remove screws, drill some more, insert screws again, hopefully topsheet has enough hold in metal etc.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier

Oh no!!! What was their excuse? Did you bring them out with you to mammoth? If the shop you used was only willing to refund the mount cost, could put that towards getting it "repaired" at the trustworthy mammoth shops

TS
D

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Oh no!!! What was their excuse? Did you bring them out with you to mammoth? If the shop you used was only willing to refund the mount cost, could put that towards getting it "repaired" at the trustworthy mammoth shops
Their excuse was pretty lame..."this happened all the time with demo bindings because the mounting point is pushed further out from the center of the skis". They assured that the dimples fixable and the skis are not damaged. I had my kids with me and didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and just chalked it up as a loss. Really dont want this bad situation spoiling a new ski season.

I brought the skis with me but didn't skis on them per advice from some of the forum members. Luckily, I brought a second set as a back-up.

Needless to say, I won't be giving Alpine Ski Shop in the Northern Virginia any future business.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Their excuse was pretty lame..."this happened all the time with demo bindings because the mounting point is pushed further out from the center of the skis". They assured that the dimples fixable and the skis are not damaged. I had my kids with me and didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and just chalked it up as a loss. Really dont want this bad situation spoiling a new ski season.

I brought the skis with me but didn't skis on them per advice from some of the forum members. Luckily, I brought a second set as a back-up.

Needless to say, I won't be giving Alpine Ski Shop in the Northern Virginia any future business.
Ahh sorry to hear about that :( sounds like a bs excuse. Im looking at my skis with attack demos and never had that problem :/ Hope it all works out!

Also, you still in mammoth? We will be up there weds to sun!

TS
D

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
No, I flew back on Friday already. First time skiing Mammoth and it was fun. Will try to get back there soon with the kids. Our next big trip will be a road trip to Colorado with the family over the Xmas/New Year break.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ski Shop in the Northern Virginia
I hate to say it but this is the root of your problem. I live in the NYC suburbs and will not let any shop near me work on my skis or boots. I have everything done near where I'm skiing. You would have been better off taking the skis and bindings to Mammoth and having them mounted there.

Sponsor