• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding mounting question

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,

Got the Attack 2 Warden 13 bindings mounted on my Faction 1.0 yesterday by a local shop for my ski trip to Mammoth this week.

Didn't notice it until I was home packing the skis for the flight last night that there are bumps where the screws went in for the mount. They didn't break through the underside of the skis but definitely bumps that can be observed and felt.

Is this a botched installation and any idea if it will have any affect in the long run?

Both skis and bindings are new.

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• 20221113_183900.jpg
    20221113_183900.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20221113_183841.mp4
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
That is pretty bad news. You should take those back to the shop and ask for your new skis to be replaced. Internally, they are damaged due to screw hole size mismatch or screw length ski thickness mismatch.

They MIGHT be able to do some repair work to get rid of the bumps, but my fear would be that there is internal delamination of the core/skin or skin/P-tex interfaces that is hard to fix. At a minimum, they would need work to get them flat again on the base, and that will create localized thin P-tex where the bumps have been shaved more than the rest of the surface.

You paid good money for new skis, new bindings, and for a "professional" mounting at the shop. They botched it. You are owed something to make it right.

Don't be in a hurry to ski your new stuff at Mammoth this week. Ski your old stuff and get this new pair sorted out right for when there is good snow coverage.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You paid good money for new skis, new bindings, and for a "professional" mounting at the shop. They botched it. You are owed something to make it right.
Yeah, sadly so. Bring them right back.

TS
D

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Oh boy! That is disappointing and very discerning. Hopefully, the shop will own up to their mistake and fix it.

Thanks for your insight

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it the angle of the pics or am I off on this??? :huh: Why are the bumps near the shovels and not under the mounting screws?

Eons ago when I was first learning to mount bindings I ended up w/ a few bumps on some "rock" skis. It didn't seem to affect anything and the first tune evened everything out so it wasn't a big deal. New mount from a shop? They are supposed to do better!

This is why inexperience in using a driver to mount ski bindings is an issue. However, the counterpoint being if you're mounting skis all day. Your arm will eventually tire. Getting that combo consistent without dimpling, takes an experienced touch or invest the time (and $$$ in a quality driver and bits) and manage the pressure release on the driver so it doesn't over tighten or strip the screw heads.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bet because of the thinner thickness of the core with the shorter length that shorter screws should have been used. The ski will specify the drill bit width and maximum depth right on the middle of the ski.

The 183cm and 178cm CT 1.0 I have at home specify the 4.1mm width screw because of the metal layer under the binding area with a maximum depth of 9mm(2nd line in this pic).
825DA714-C69C-4840-B230-355982BF675C.jpeg

Most adult skis are 9 or 9.5mm depth but youth skis could be 7 or 7.5mm which might be the case here. Check on your ski and post a pic of this spot.

Also feel you are owed new skis for them not checking screw length requirements but even the 158cm length sold out now at The-House/Skis.com. There is a Canadian source for the 165cm version at Momosports.ca
Think with the more forward mount, that length would also work for you as it will feel shorter than your z90 in the same length.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, the shop screwed up, and they should make good on the ski, especially if the ski was purchased from them and it was not just a mount. I didn't see a ski length or a BSL length and I am just wondering if it is a short ski and a long BSL that could have contributed to the mounting mistake by the binding tech.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s a f*ck up job. The worst is that the ski are not readily available anymore.
I wonder can they be remounted on the same holes with the appropriate hardware. Anyone?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wonder can they be remounted on the same holes with the appropriate hardware. Anyone?
Backing off the screws maybe half a turn at a time might allow the base material to return, I think the damage, delaminating the base, is done. While there is little chance of water getting it, that is not a risk @daxifison should have to take.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the past I've backed off the screws and popped the dimples back in w/ a ball peen hammer to the point where you don't even notice but like @Philpug said the delam is done... keep it movin' and either repair the dimples or ask for a replacement. They will ski just fine and 99.9 % of skiers won't even notice. The delam may not even manifest issues during the life of the ski. Be firm but gentle w/ the ball peen though.......

I'm still not understanding the first pic. :huh: I've never been that swift anyway but... It still looks like the dimples are too far fwd to be a part of the mounting process....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the past I've backed off the screws and popped the dimples back in w/ a ball peen hammer. Be gentle though.......

I'm still not understanding the first pic. :huh: I've never been that swift anyway but... It still looks like the dimples are too far fwd to be a part of the mounting process....
Not seeing the whole ski, it is really hard to say. Besides no one caught this...
Attack 2 Warden 13 bindings
...not that it is the cause of the problem. ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not seeing the whole ski, it is really hard to say. Besides no one caught this...

...not that it is the cause of the problem. ;)

I did but thought it was a typo and besides if something like that happened to me I know I’d be so stressed I’d forget the name of the ski never mind the bindings

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
If i did it to my skis, I'd be pissed, then figure out how to resolve it...and vow to learn my lesson.

If a shop did this, they, IMO, owe me a new pair of skis. Whether they get a 2nd chance to mount the new skis is your call.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Was just wondering if the issue was that the wrong provided factory screws were used in the wrong set of holes as that would also cause this issue on maybe just 2 holes.

On Attacks and maybe the Wardens too, there are different length(3 in Attacks) screws provided. If those longest length screws aren’t used in the proper position(above the brakes and holding them in with Attacks) then the screw would definitely be travelling further than 9mm into the ski.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Backing off the screws maybe half a turn at a time might allow the base material to return, I think the damage, delaminating the base, is done. While there is little chance of water getting it, that is not a risk @daxifison should have to take.
Ya this looks worse than the typical bumps we see fairly often. If it were a DIY job O'd just back the screws out drip a little epoxy in there. Proper length screws back in while the epoxy is still wet..and clamp boards flush to the bottom.. Maybe a base grind afterwards just to smooth out what's left of the bumps.

Shop's work and they owe me new skis..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In the past I've backed off the screws and popped the dimples back in w/ a ball peen hammer to the point where you don't even notice but like @Philpug said the delam is done... keep it movin' and either repair the dimples or ask for a replacement. They will ski just fine and 99.9 % of skiers won't even notice. The delam may not even manifest issues during the life of the ski. Be firm but gentle w/ the ball peen though.......

Backing the screws off and tapping the dimples down is one method. Yes, the delam is done but adding some adhesive when putting in the shorter screws could getting some of the dimple sealed up when the screw pushes the adhesive into the delam at the bottom of the screw hole. Is it perfect, No but it is a lot better than grinding the base flat. I like the process as a last resort, I still think the shop should replace the ski.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Backing the screws off and tapping the dimples down is one method. Yes, the delam is done but adding some adhesive when putting in the shorter screws could getting some of the dimple sealed up when the screw pushes the adhesive into the delam at the bottom of the screw hole. Is it perfect, No but it is a lot better than grinding the base flat. I like the process as a last resort, I still think the shop should replace the ski.
Exactly! This is the stuff I use for sealing screws and for managing Blips!!! LOL

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it the angle of the pics or am I off on this??? :huh: Why are the bumps near the shovels and not under the mounting screws?
It’s an illusion. If they mounted the bindings in the shovel, the dimples won’t matter one iota.

Sponsor

Staff online