• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bike purchase

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As I tell everyone: shop by fit, not by brand.

A good fitter will find excellent numbers to work from, and many will suggest makes and models that work for your fit with a minimum of adjustment. Look at those - or go fully custom, built to your numbers.

@Nancy Hummel, it sounds like you should look into randonneuring. They do ultra-distance rides and their crown jewel event, Paris-Brest-Paris, is taking place this week. You need to qualify for it by riding a series of 200km, 300km, 400km, and 600km official brevét events within the same calendar year (tho not in order, which is a great relief to those with schedules that are ski-centric).

Having recently returned from a self-designed bikepacking trip in Europe it sounds like that, too, would be something you'd find fun.

Enjoy that new Synapse!

The best thing is that the Synapse can handle wider tires - so treat yourself to some 28, 30, or 32mm tires. I'm now running 30mm Continental GP5000s on my Moots and the comfort level is higher (lower pressure = bliss), the versatility is better (gravel is no biggie), and they're still efficient as can be (setting Strava PRs all over the place with this setup).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Nancy Hummel, it sounds like you should look into randonneuring. They do ultra-distance rides and their crown jewel event, Paris-Brest-Paris, is taking place this week. You need to qualify for it by riding a series of 200km, 300km, 400km, and 600km official brevét events within the same calendar year (tho not in order, which is a great relief to those with schedules that are ski-centric).

Weirdly, I'm seeing PBP references all over, but Boston-Montreal-Boston is... not talked about anymore?

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the 2RLE is good for me. I like Ultegra. As much as I would like a different color -the fit is most important.

As I tell everyone: shop by fit, not by brand.

A good fitter will find excellent numbers to work from, and many will suggest makes and models that work for your fit with a minimum of adjustment. Look at those - or go fully custom, built to your numbers.

Having recently returned from a self-designed bikepacking trip in Europe it sounds like that, too, would be something you'd find fun.

Enjoy that new Synapse!

The best thing is that the Synapse can handle wider tires - so treat yourself to some 28, 30, or 32mm tires. I'm now running 30mm Continental GP5000s on my Moots and the comfort level is higher (lower pressure = bliss), the versatility is better (gravel is no biggie), and they're still efficient as can be (setting Strava PRs all over the place with this setup).
Thanks, Rudi.

I actually did the qualifying rides for the PBP many years ago. Did not end up doing it at that time. Definitely something I would consider.

I have done several European rides. Best one was from Budapest -Krakow. Amazing in many ways.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

Bike arrived yesterday. Should be able to do the first ride tomorrow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

BTW I spotted your new bike over by the PA/MD line :)

1692289603494.png

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm now running 30mm Continental GP5000s on my Moots and the comfort level is higher (lower pressure = bliss), the versatility is better (gravel is no biggie), and they're still efficient as can be (setting Strava PRs all over the place with this setup).
What are you running for pressure in your 30s? I am 185 pounds and experimenting with pressures on a set of new tubeless 28mm GP5000s. I have gone as low as 70 in the rear and they still feel fast.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What are you running for pressure in your 30s? I am 185 pounds and experimenting with pressures on a set of new tubeless 28mm GP5000s. I have gone as low as 70 in the rear and they still feel fast.

With 28mm GP5000s on a 21mm internal rim width wheel I was running 75 front, 78 rear most days. Even when it dipped down to 70psi it was fine, even running with tubes (Tubolito or Vittoria latex). I weigh 171-174 lbs during prime riding season, FWIW.

On the same wheels running 30mm GP5000s (again with tubes) I'm running 70/72, sometimes dipping down to 63/65 for more challenging surfaces (chipseal or light gravel). No problems at all with this setup.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
With 28mm GP5000s on a 21mm internal rim width wheel I was running 75 front, 78 rear most days. Even when it dipped down to 70psi it was fine, even running with tubes (Tubolito or Vittoria latex). I weigh 171-174 lbs during prime riding season, FWIW.

On the same wheels running 30mm GP5000s (again with tubes) I'm running 70/72, sometimes dipping down to 63/65 for more challenging surfaces (chipseal or light gravel). No problems at all with this setup.
Thanks. I am probably in the right ball park, maybe a bit low, but not far off.

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Need a 70mm +\- 6 stem. Nothing fancy.
What should I buy?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Need a 70mm +\- 6 stem. Nothing fancy.
What should I buy?

At that length brand won't be too important. Stems from Zipp, Bontrager, ITM, or Ritchey are always solid choices.

But yeah: get what you can find. Aluminum should work just fine.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After a couple of years of fussing with my bike fit, I have realized my bike is just not the bike for me.

I went on a trip to Glacier NP and rode a Cannondale Synapse 105. Really liked the fit - bars within easy reach and no numb hands.

I was shocked at how great the bike felt. I went to bike fitter yesterday. I have long legs/short torso. Fitter suggested I might like the Synapse in the carbon version.

Any thoughts on this bike - https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bi...Q7rYBlQu3MXjsBu30Yi1wtnAyuEvlfAHgcLygKEJcJe48

He seems to think the shorter top tubes are better for me.

I wanted a blingy Pinarello but the sizes don't work.

Nice bike. I am a huge supporter of endurance bikes for everyone whose name doesn't start with Tadej and ends in Pogacar.

The Di2 is a big deal, really big difference.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At that length brand won't be too important. Stems from Zipp, Bontrager, ITM, or Ritchey are always solid choices.

But yeah: get what you can find. Aluminum should work just fine.

Zipp Service Course. Just for the insanely good integrated Garmin/Go Pro mount.

Sponsor

Staff online