• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

biggest ski factor in determining ease of turn initiation?

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
If you are looking for a ski that turns more easily; an easy way to look at it is to look for shorter skis. BUt what about the other factors? Ski flex, as well as sidecut is supposed to affect the ease at which a turn is initiated of course.... I'm torn between a shorter, very "turn-y" ski ( Cham 87W at 152cm 127-87-103 Rad: 10m) but rather stiff in flex; versus something around the same length that has a bigger turn radius ( Rossi Smash 7 at 150cm, 118-90-108 Rad: 16m+ ) but much softer in flex. If you are doing 80:20 Piste: Backcountry, which ski would be a better one? The Cham 87 is about 1380grams per ski vs about 1500grams for the Rossi.

Both have twin rockers, although the Cham 87 has a much more pronounced tip rise. The Smash has been reviewed to be very 'smear/slarve' friendly owing to the softer flex and twin rocker ( with the camber/rocker ratio at 50:50 ), bit could also hold its edge. Most reviewers have made remarks about the ease of turning with both skis ( subjective, i know)

Thoughts? Thanks!

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Torsional stiffness, longitudinal flex, sidecut, tip width, and the tune all play a greater part in determining "ease of turning" than "shortness". Just saying...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are doing 80:20 Piste: Backcountry, which ski would be a better one?

Where is your 80% piste?

Also, a skier's perception of "turny" depends in part on how she turns. A slalom ski is crazy turny if you're carving race turns proficiently on hardpack. Not so much if you're pivoting in Utah.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you like to turn? Do you use the sidecut/shape and flex of the ski and put it up on edge or do you push the tails to change the direction of the ski?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I found the men's version of this ski to be really fun on and off piste. Carve or slarve, it works really well. It falls into about the same dimensions as the ones you've mentioned. You can also go 94mm if you want a little more off piste confidence yet still carve on piste.

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
Where is your 80% piste?

Also, a skier's perception of "turny" depends in part on how she turns. A slalom ski is crazy turny if you're carving race turns proficiently on hardpack. Not so much if you're pivoting in Utah.

80% piste in Hokkaido, Japan... less icy. I turn with smearing a little of the tails as my disability makes it hard to bring me forward consistently

TS
everest8850

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
I found the men's version of this ski to be really fun on and off piste. Carve or slarve, it works really well. It falls into about the same dimensions as the ones you've mentioned. You can also go 94mm if you want a little more off piste confidence yet still carve on piste.

Andy - wow I’d always thought DPS mostly made longer ie 165+ cm skis. They look great, just rather spendy at my stage of the ski journey...hence the current front runners - Rossi Smash and Dynastar Cham87W. Thoughts? The Dynastar look more for an advanced skier, very turn-y but stiff, the Rossi is much softer in flex

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy - wow I’d always thought DPS mostly made longer ie 165+ cm skis. They look great, just rather spendy at my stage of the ski journey...hence the current front runners - Rossi Smash and Dynastar Cham87W. Thoughts? The Dynastar look more for an advanced skier, very turn-y but stiff, the Rossi is much softer in flex
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Rossi and Dynastar. I don't believe the Cham is still in the Dynastar lineup, though. I have, however, been on the Dynastar Legend X88 and really liked them. The Legend W88 is the lady's version. Paging @Tricia to give some insight to the Cham and Smash.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
80% piste in Hokkaido, Japan... less icy. I turn with smearing a little of the tails as my disability makes it hard to bring me forward consistently

You asked which is better in the backcountry... for your location, neither, but it doesn't sound like you'll be touring away from the area boundaries. For what sounds like you're ability level and terrain/condition choices, I'd walk you up to a pair of last season's (to save some coin) K2 Pinnacle 88's on the ski wall. In MHO, it's a much better ski would be beneficial and more enjoyable for Hokkaido.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
If you pivot your turns, the shorter the better.

Maybe approach skis like the Hagans or Scouts, especially if you are skinning up?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
If you pivot your turns, the shorter the better.

Maybe approach skis like the Hagans or Scouts, especially if you are skinning up?

I don't think he's skinning...

And too short is still too short, especially when venturing that 20% off piste and with the two skis he originally mentioned.
:beercheer:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I don't think he's skinning...

And too short is still too short, especially when venturing that 20% off piste and with the two skis he originally mentioned.
:beercheer:

You should do a little research in to his prior threads to understand his situation and limitations.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
You should do a little research in to his prior threads to understand his situation and limitations.

Got it.... had no idea. Just not time to follow everything in fine grain.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Got it.... had no idea. Just not time to follow everything in fine grain.

Sorry, for the short (he he) reply earlier, I was on the way out to skate. The OP has made a series of threads, spanning a couple of different ski forums, asking advice on equipment and technique that may fit his particular set of circumstances. We've covered a lot of ground already, but that doesn't always show up in a new thread.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP has made a series of threads, spanning a couple of different ski forums, asking advice on equipment and technique that may fit his particular set of circumstances

So ... Someone do tell, or we won't be able to contribute meaningfully. Maybe start with the fact that the OP is looking at skis in the 150cm range. Height and weight?

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider

it sounds like main criteria in your search is a price. If so it shouldn't be difficult to make a choice.

If you are doing 80:20 Piste: Backcountry. The Cham 87 is about 1380grams per ski vs about 1500grams for the Rossi.

at 80/20. I don't think 120g difference will make any significant impact on backcountry performance

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I pointed you earlier to the ladies' version of this one. Whoops. This is the guy's version that comes in at 165 for the shortest. Still the same price but maybe in the future...

Sponsor

Staff online