• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best year(s) of the Outback?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know a few of you guys really know Subies and I am looking to upgrade soon from my 2000 Outback. What years are the most reliable and why?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You'll probably find the newer Outbacks significantly different than your current one. You may want to look at other vehicles that are more like the 2000. VW Wagon for instance..

Having said that, I have a 2013 6 cylinder that has been dead reliable, if somewhat underwhelming to drive. They don't have significant issues as far as I know. However, the steering feel and on-centre tracking sucks (mechanical damper to eliminate steering wheel wobble at speed) and it's undersprung and damped in the back.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
The current H6 is pretty good, haven't heard anything bad about them, probably last year of H6 before moving to 2.4 DI turbo.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Mine got extended to 10 year/160k km too, it's a bonus if anything. The actual failure number seems to be on par with anything else, certainly better than all the ZF 9 speed out there from complaints I read on forums.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Best bang for your buck maybe a 5th gen 3.6 :huh:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The year with the STI engine, suspension and manual transmission.

Oh, wait, never mind........

Seriously, H6 would be my pick by far. That is a kind of under the radar sweetheart of an engine.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, as an ex Subie salesperson, and all around car nerd, the H6's are an easy choice.

Keep in mind that the 3.0's require 91, where the 3.6 is good on 87. Both are excellent engines, and very smooth.

Before the CVT's, there was also a great 5 speed auto that was used on both the 3.0 and the 3.6.

If you are looking, you may also want to have a look at a Tribeca. It's based on the Outback platform, has only the H6, 5 speed auto, but it's a bit more SUV than wagonish.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking, you may also want to have a look at a Tribeca. It's based on the Outback platform, has only the H6, 5 speed auto, but it's a bit more SUV than wagonish.

+1 on the Tribeca.

For whatever reasons, these were deemed unworthy by the Subaru Faithful, as well as the auto press, so resale is really, really poor.

But they are a good car.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A second gen Tribeca, once they got past the propeller grill, better looking and smoother power band.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the replies. Is CVT really as bad as the hype? I'm going to check out a 2011 3.6R today which doesn't have the CVT. I like to drive my cars well past warranty period so I am going to steer clear of the CVT if they really are that horrible.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
No, Subaru CVT's are actually very well engineered, unlike some other companies units. If you've never driven one before, here's something to be aware of, unlike traditional auto's with 4, 5 or 6 gears, the trans will get into the power-band and stay there while the chains and pulleys ramp up to get to the desired ratios, without the RPM changing too much. It's called a rubber band effect, it is a bit different, but you'll forget about it soon enough.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
No, Subaru CVT's are actually very well engineered, unlike some other companies units. If you've never driven one before, here's something to be aware of, unlike traditional auto's with 4, 5 or 6 gears, the trans will get into the power-band and stay there while the chains and pulleys ramp up to get to the desired ratios, without the RPM changing too much. It's called a rubber band effect, it is a bit different, but you'll forget about it soon enough.

The only "real" CVT are 14~16 Forester and I think pre 14 Outback, everything else now has fake shifts after much bemoaning from the "journalists".

How are CVT's for descending hills?

Engine braking? Pretty much same as any other auto, with a torque convertered small displacement engine there won't be much braking.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 05' to 10 was the perfect size and still a wagon. Loved my 05 2.5 with 5 speed. VW Alltrack is probably closest to that layout now.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier

I can live with Subaru's CVTs but the 2.5L in the Outback/Legacy drives me nuts. For the past couple generations, these are pretty big cars and they really struggle to get out of their own way with the 2.5L. Still, they sell loads of these so it must be enough power for most people.

I happen to really like the Outback/Legacy from 05-09 the best. These are similar in size to your 2000 and might drive/handle better. Since 2010 they have become much larger cars. But if you value passenger comfort and cargo room, 2010+ may be a better option.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Had a 2001 outback sedan 6cly drove it till almost 200K then traded it for a 2011 outback 3.6R which I’ve passed on to my daughter and still going strong @ 142K miles, in fact it still feels new, just a smooth running vehicle that’s been all over the country. I follow the maintenance schedule to a “T” and have had zero problems with either.

I recently added a 2019 Crosstrek Limited and Assent Touring to my garage (we are a subie family) both are still new so no issues, but if they are like the other two I anticipate 10 years and 150-200K trouble free miles.

How are CVT's for descending hills?

I climb and descend a steep ski road nearly daily going to the base of Ski Santa Fe https://skisantafe.com Where the parking lot is at 10350 feet. I use the paddle shifters going up to avoid the constant downshifting of the auto and to run the engine at higher RPM’s descending I use them even more, generally staying between 3rd and 2nd, barring no really slow drivers riding their brakes I can take most of the switchbacks in 2nd and never touch the brakes.

jclee

Booting up
Skier
Engine braking? Pretty much same as any other auto, with a torque convertered small displacement engine there won't be much braking.
Not so. I had a 2012 Outback for a number of years, and you can easily downshift with the paddle shifters and get very good engine braking.

Sponsor

Staff online