• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd like some thoughts on taking beginners on T-bars and pomas. I think that it might be a great thing for them. It seems to them learn quicker, as it gets them used to the sliding sensation without the risk of going too fast and losing control.

I ask because I instruct in the winter, and like most places, the beginner area at my home hill has a magic carpet. There are no surface lifts.

I've been introducing an out of town friend to the sport. I've been out with them three times, twice to my home area, and once to the small hill near them. The days at my home hill they did decently, going from the carpet to the beginner chair, and an easier blue.

But the third day seemed like the had a breakthrough. The one big difference I noticed was that the beginner/intermediate area at the hill we went to was accessed by a T-bar. I think the ground speed of the T-bar was faster than they were skiing before. Going up the track was a great time to discuss with them absorption and joint mobility, with instant examples and feedback.

Has anyone else noticed that beginners improve much more quickly when using surface lifts, rather than carpets or chairs?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
for the right person sure....but honestly most surface lifts will wear newbs out.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
for the right person sure....but honestly most surface lifts will wear newbs out.

THIS ^^^^^

Not just for the right person, I would add, the right surface lift. I am sure there are better and worse surface lifts. But for me, as a never ever, four years ago, it was tough. And I was physically active at the time, it was just way too much. Out of four, two of us survived the experience, meaning, we managed to spend half a day going up a crowded run and coming down the icy bunny hill, somehow stopping before crashing. The other two couldn't take it and went somewhere else with the private instructor. The magic carpet that had been a _great_ pleasure to use in the morning, was now used by a group and not available.

Anyway, as a never ever, it was the most horrible torture. The magic-carpet lift was much better. Next ski day, group lesson, we used a chair lift. The first couple times i crashed on exit because I would freak out and fall back in 2 seconds. But the instructor told me to lean forward while exiting and that was it. That afternoon I was coming down that same run on my own. I was in Heaven.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Old people too.....................they're tough on the knees (and marriages-my wife and I CANNOT ride one together without wanting to kill each other by the end of the ride).
Married.....computing.....30 plus years? Ask me how I know. Congratulations

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
T-Bars are usually a disaster for newbies, ditto with pomas. Their first instinct is to sit instead of standing and just letting the lift pull them. The T-Bar adds the difficulty of having someone right next to them (or riding solo on one side). I have seen quite a few people eat it on surface lifts. Oh, and the T-Bar in Breck has claimed many a victim.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
And there I was....Riding up a T bar with a 6 yr old kid. Bar was on my calves.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
T-Bars are usually a disaster for newbies, ditto with pomas. Their first instinct is to sit instead of standing and just letting the lift pull them. The T-Bar adds the difficulty of having someone right next to them (or riding solo on one side). I have seen quite a few people eat it on surface lifts. Oh, and the T-Bar in Breck has claimed many a victim.

T-bar in Breckenridge is vicious! It seems to be very difficult to dismount.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just add that little kids love magic carpets. Going up is half the fun. A surface lift is kinda scary and a lot of work.

You can turn a kiddo at the right level loose on a magic carpet and they will lap it forever. I've never tried, but I don't think they would go a third as long on a surface lift.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
At Breck, there is a POMA on the beginner hill at Peak 9. Yes, you do have to emphasize standing up but most people get it quickly.

It gives people the feel of sliding -keeping their skis parallel without the fear of going fast. I think it is great.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I remember my very first day on a rope tow. I kept trying to keep my balance on the haul up. It took most of the day but when I finally made it to the top, coming down seemed easy. I was a kid and had no choice but to stay. Hanging in the lodge was boring so I tried until I got it. The same happened on a platter pull, I sat back and was dragged a bit until I could release the platter but once I got the hang of it I had fun "skiing" uphill. The tracks weren't so deep that I could edge a little and make tiny turns until the lift attendant yelled at me to stay in the tracks. The thing is, I was determined to learn this sport and the lifts were a part of that process. I think surface lifts can speed the learning process for those absolutely determined but for those that are just curious but not committed it could be a deterrent.

Sponsor

Staff online