• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are light materials helpful for beginner?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Light boots are advantageous when travelling as they are THE carry-on item when every other ski gear is checked in. Every 100 gram saved keeps the carry-on luggage under the airline limit, especially with international travel.
Frickin Qantas was fine with my boot bag outbound, didn't like it on the return.

sdstarr

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Skis and boots that are very heavy do wear down your legs over a long day. It takes extra effort to throw a pair of heavy skis into a turn. However, I agree with the general consensus that beginner skiers don't need to look at the weight of skis and boots when selecting gear. I think of "light" gear as a need for backcountry skiing when you are skinning uphill.

sdstarr

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For a ski, the swing weight will be proportional to the length cubed. A ski twice as long will have 8 times the swing weight.(same materals and same ave width and thickness).

If you had concentrated mass (weights) on the ends of a massless stick, then the swing weight would be proportional to the length squared.
I'm now trying to imagine a pair of 368 cm skis. They would be hard to turn.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm now trying to imagine a pair of 368 cm skis. They would be hard to turn.

Google 'longboards'

1696775905717.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Smoothness. Not being tossed around on bumpy hard snow. Stability.

As I mentioned above I own and sometimes even ski one of the (if not THE best) lightweight piste skis in existence-the Deacon VWerks, they are really good up to the point when it gets hard, icy and bumpy at which point they absolutely suck compared to any 70ish, >2kg piste ski

Would you consider doing a Flopack onto your Deacons?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would you consider doing a Flopack onto your Deacons?

No, the problem is not the tip chatter, there isn’t much of it, the VWerks are extremely well made ski, it is just they are too light, these thingies wont help much when you start getting kicked around in the hard icy stuff.
When it softens up a bit they are real joy.

I do however happen to know of a ski that would greatly benefit from these-a ski that is very damp and smooth otherwise but has tips that are…a bit more lively on hard snow. I shall not go any further as Messrs @tomahawkins and @Paul Lutes could take it as an invitation to start extolling the virtues of the damn Enforcercers. :ogbiggrin: :roflmao:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, the problem is not the tip chatter, there isn’t much of it, the VWerks are extremely well made ski, it is just they are too light, these thingies wont help much when you start getting kicked around in the hard icy stuff.

That's exactly why I am suggesting that experiment. First person experience: FloShocks can make a 150cm foam core ski feel like a wood core 184cm.

The anti-chatter benefit is small potatoes.

Now, if you're actually telling me your Deacons need stiffness, not mass, well, the FloShocks won't help with that.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's exactly why I am suggesting that experiment. First person experience: FloShocks can make a 150cm foam core ski feel like a wood core 184cm.

The anti-chatter benefit is small potatoes.

Now, if you're actually telling me your Deacons need stiffness, not mass, well, the FloShocks won't help with that.

Yeah, maybe it will help but will ruin the beauty of the Deacons, besides I am not sure you cn screw them in at the tips, there is no wood and metal there.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Come to Mammoth in the spring. The FloShocks guy is usually there doing demos out of the Stump lot.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure that's worth him flying over from Yurp for :D

Yeah, we are spoilt and lazy. I very much admire guys here who drive for 8 hours just so they can ski 1-2 full days.The longest I have to drive to get to top skiing is 3 hours and I am still complaining it is too long.
10 hours drive takes me to the Alps basically.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I perceive that Hollywood are much better at selling sequoias, volcanic cones, movie-grade deserts and LA clubs to Euros than to you. :D

I am from NYC. We don't buy into delusions easily. Especially after spending 4-1/2 months in CA past spring & summer. Too many things are over hyped and way over priced. That is in comparison to NYC. The low income classification for some of the bay area counties is around $125K. :huh:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I perceive that Hollywood are much better at selling sequoias, volcanic cones, movie-grade deserts and LA clubs to Euros than to you. :D

Nah, not this Euro. Gimme an honest Montana, Minnesota, Indiana, Arkansas, Texas, the Dakotas and I am happy.
The farther from big cities-the better.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another destination with high Euro-romance quotient.

Nah, they're just lusting after the NYC version of Disney World, aka Time Square.
The whole of Manhattan is way too gentrified for my taste. Mostly transients doing few years in the big city before getting marry and move out to the suburbs. For the kids of course.

The only Manhattan attraction still hold my interest is the theater district.

Sponsor