• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Instagram feed is filled with posts about Theragun and it got me wondering about using one after a day of skiing. Pretty expensive but if it did the job it might make multi-day trips more enjoyable. Anyone here use one? https://www.theragun.com/

James

Out There
Instructor
Lindsey uses something like it in that documentary.

James

Out There
Instructor
Unless hers was ultrasound. I don’t think so. It didn’t move as much as this one though.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
My gym has a Theragun. It's nice, but a foam roller is much cheaper, does not break, and will do most of the job. There are short foam rollers that are hollow, so packing one is not actually much volume since you can stuff clothes inside it.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I haven't used one, but I just started researching them and there's a lot of choices out there. Here's one I was looking at:
I watched the Lindsey Vonn documentary on HBO last weekend and she was using one on herself during rehab.

I agree, if it helps with multi-ski-day recovery getting one might be worthwhile.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My PT at Howard Head used a similar device on me during my recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery. I knicknamed it Thor's Hammer as it was very boxy/angular and looked like a hammer.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
My Instagram feed is filled with posts about Theragun and it got me wondering about using one after a day of skiing. Pretty expensive but if it did the job it might make multi-day trips more enjoyable. Anyone here use one? https://www.theragun.com/
So I clicked on that link a few minutes ago and just received the following text from my wife:
"Are you researching massage guns?"

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Boy, you guys are lazy. Battery powered everything.
I am a bit more old school. My two old reliable standbys.

Baseball bat_small.jpg
Dead Blow Mallet_01.jpg

Seriously, do you guy actually abuse yourself that much in a few days of skiing?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pretty sure they did a historical movie about those. Ah, yes, here it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria_(2011_film)

So, I guess 'old school' would be up to about 1870?

In that context, I'm not even touching 'Thor's Hammer'.

Seriously, do you guy actually abuse yourself that much in a few days of skiing?

It's not about the amount of abuse. It's how little they're used to it. /forumjoke

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Instagram posts? 24K gold edition? Promises to "release your deepest tension"?

Looks like the marketing department is hard at work, but does this do anything that the generic alternatives don't for 1/6 the price?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
In addition to a foam roller, a lacrosse ball does basically the same thing as the Theragun. The advantage of the gun is you can use it while standing or walking. Foam roller/ball requires you brace against the floor or wall to get the right leverage. Actually, the lacrosse ball is way more versatile than this thing. You can reach areas you can't with the gun (ie between your shoulder blades).

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that sure brought out some opinions ogsmile

My gym has a Theragun. It's nice, but a foam roller is much cheaper, does not break, and will do most of the job. There are short foam rollers that are hollow, so packing one is not actually much volume since you can stuff clothes inside it.

I have a foam roller and it works. I just want to see if the hype around these Theraguns (or other brands) is real or just marketing at Christmas. Or both.

So I clicked on that link a few minutes ago and just received the following text from my wife:
"Are you researching massage guns?"

That happens to me on occasion. It's scary how fast the data distributes.

Instagram posts? 24K gold edition? Promises to "release your deepest tension"?

Looks like the marketing department is hard at work, but does this do anything that the generic alternatives don't for 1/6 the price?

I only mentioned Theragun because of the ads. If I was ever to get one I'm sure I'll look at the cheaper alternatives.

In addition to a foam roller, a lacrosse ball does basically the same thing as the Theragun. The advantage of the gun is you can use it while standing or walking. Foam roller/ball requires you brace against the floor or wall to get the right leverage. Actually, the lacrosse ball is way more versatile than this thing. You can reach areas you can't with the gun (ie between your shoulder blades).

Good to know about the lacrosse ball. Added to the options list.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are short foam rollers that are hollow, so packing one is not actually much volume since you can stuff clothes inside it.
I've been told they also hold a bourbon bottle perfectly -- two therapies for one!

Sponsor

Staff online