• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were being considerate of this and didn't directly mention the Hitachi Magic Wand upthread, or there's no telling what she would have thought.

Thanks! Seeing as I'm marrying her in 3 weeks I definitely don't want that hassle!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured I'd give an update. I ended up buying a Hypervolt Plus massage gun and brought it with me to Utah this past week. That thing was worth every penny. The first run on days 2-5 was a little sore but after that my legs felt good. I could tell I skied the day before but my quads were no where near as sore as they typically are on a multi-day trip. I can definitely recommend one of these guns for recovery. They range in price so do your research and make sure you get one that is reputable. You don't need the most expensive ones but I would avoid the cheapest options as well. Durability and noise are issues with those.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After @Stephen introduced me to the Opove brand I ordered one asap. LOVE IT! It feels so good on tired thighs at the end of the day. As @TheArchitect said, the next day is just better.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a foam roller a lot but it’s much easier using the massage gun while sitting on the coach having a beer watching tv after a long day of skiing.
I feel like there is a noticeable difference on how recovered my legs feel the next day when using the massage gun.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I LOVE mine. Got a knockoff for $100, so far it works great. I have done foam rollers, sticks, baseballs, all of everything, this is cash money for getting into deep places. Mostly your glute med/piriformis,etc. Plus, it’s called WuBeFine.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a knee injury over the summer and part of the PT was some theragun treatment at the end of each session.

At the end of my course of therapy, I asked the therapist about what I could do going forward to prevent a recurrence. She told me to continue with some of the stretches, balance exercises and strength exercises that had been part of my therapy and to continue massaging the area either manually or with a theragun.

I asked about foam rolling given I have a foam roller at home. She told me she’d prefer massage to foam rolling as recent studies had suggested foam rolling could be counter productive and in some case could cause injury.

i have no idea what studies my therapist was referencing or how foam rolling could lead to injury, but I’ve stick with a theragun and been happy with the results.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Love ours! Still use roller, ball, etc.. but the gun is money!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Seems like black friday sales is here. Any favorite model? Any one to avoid? Any accessory/attachment a must?

Been foam rolling/lacrosse balls for a while. Looking for better depth and pinpoint application in quads, hips, glutes. Right now lacrosse ball is my favorite. Cycling, tennis, skiing... My legs and between shoulder blades take a beating. I think I'm talking myself out of a massage gun.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier

Seems like black friday sales is here. Any favorite model? Any one to avoid? Any accessory/attachment a must?

Been foam rolling/lacrosse balls for a while. Looking for better depth and pinpoint application in quads, hips, glutes. Right now lacrosse ball is my favorite. Cycling, tennis, skiing... My legs and between shoulder blades take a beating. I think I'm talking myself out of a massage gun.

If sound is an issue, the Elite (the mid-level) is the quietest. I primarily use the dampener and the standard ball. I'm tempted to get the SuperSoft--all of the attachments were sold out for a long time.

My first experience with a percussion massager was at Massage Envy. They use the HyperVolt. I tend to get 1.5 hour massages and never feel like anyone can get deep enough for my back. At my 2nd massage since February, I was able to get my regular therapist back and he does a deep massage. I asked him to use the HyperVolt first. This is definitely the way I will start massages from now on. I usually wouldn't have enough time to focus on anything besides neck, shoulders, and low back. Now I can either let the therapist work on my limbs more or have an hour massage.

My physical therapist cautions against using them to treat injuries when you're trying to get muscles to co-contract efficiently and re-establish movement patterns. That being said, I use my TheraGun for tension relief and it has really helped deal with the aches and pains of too much time working from home at a desk. An added bonus is using it for a few minutes before I sleep and it really helps me relax.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Is the Theragun Elite that much better than the dozens on sale on Amazon for $250 less?
I think I need one of these massage guns, based upon how sore I feel after skiing on Friday :(
Any other recommendations for alternatives?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

1610305476935.png

I have no idea about this one, except that at $40, it could be a good way to get in the game and at least see if you might want to splurge eventually. Or ... my knock-off has been fine (it was more like $100).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Is the Theragun Elite that much better than the dozens on sale on Amazon for $250 less?
I think I need one of these massage guns, based upon how sore I feel after skiing on Friday :(
Any other recommendations for alternatives?

I only have experience so far with the Theragun Elite. What I can say is that it is kind of quiet (you can watch TV at normal volume while using it), but what I really like is the handle arrangement. I think that's the real differentiator. Not that the other versions aren't usable at weird angles, but the Elite truly makes it a no-brainer since you can grip it just about any way possible. The app and the Bluetooth integration are nice too, but certainly not must-haves.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Sounds like it might be worth biting the bullet and spending the money for a good one.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I read prior to buying my Hyperice Hypervolt was that the cheaper options tended to be rather loud and didn't always have the force they listed. The noise issue was a big deal for me so I spent more to get a mid-range model. The top of the line Theragun didn't appear to be the best value at over $500 (I think that was the price at the time)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What I read prior to buying my Hyperice Hypervolt was that the cheaper options tended to be rather loud and didn't always have the force they listed. The noise issue was a big deal for me so I spent more to get a mid-range model. The top of the line Theragun didn't appear to be the best value at over $500 (I think that was the price at the time)

I bought the Theragun Elite for $100 off during their Black Friday deal. At $100 more, I probably would have looked for an alternative.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This is something where Japan completely kicks our butts.... an after ski bath and beers (in the tub) with friends. Nothing better.

Sponsor

Staff online