• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any reason to try the stock liners if I have ZipFits?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hey do you have any thoughts on how much room is too much room in the forefoot? I read somewhere that ZipFits were designed to allow your toes to move, but is there a point where there's too much room? I have fantastic heel hold and I feel completely locked in, just have room around my toes...

I think it depends on your skiing level and what your feet are comfortable with for tightness. It's common for folks to find that there is more room in their forefoot area after switching to the Zip since it's only double layer neoprene from the toes through the mid-foot zone. I know of no other liner that uses stretchy neoprene for the mid-foot. If they do have neoprene it's always just for the toe box.

So you can potentially move to a narrower last shell, not just sizing down. I think that for good/correct skiing movements where we ski from the snow up (foot tipping), it's necessary to be able to invert/evert our feet within the boots. So I don't want to be locked in "concrete", but I also don't want to be swimming. I do not think "hacks" like adding padding to a ZipFit forefoot would work well for most folks (especially if you go in/out racer style).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you happen to have a pair of Mimic World Cup in 27.5 I am ready to take them off your hands.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on the CS a couple times, but ended up going with Nordica after Head changed the Raptor last shape with the WCR series boots. So, sorry, no dice. :)

But I have a bunch of Head and Nordica stock liners...

TS
E221b

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
I think it depends on your skiing level and what your feet are comfortable with for tightness. It's common for folks to find that there is more room in their forefoot area after switching to the Zip since it's only double layer neoprene from the toes through the mid-foot zone. I know of no other liner that uses stretchy neoprene for the mid-foot. If they do have neoprene it's always just for the toe box.

So you can potentially move to a narrower last shell, not just sizing down. I think that for good/correct skiing movements where we ski from the snow up (foot tipping), it's necessary to be able to invert/evert our feet within the boots. So I don't want to be locked in "concrete", but I also don't want to be swimming. I do not think "hacks" like adding padding to a ZipFit forefoot would work well for most folks (especially if you go in/out racer style).
In my current shells it’s only my right foot that feels borderline too roomy in the forefoot but these are new shells and I haven’t even skied in them yet so I’m going to postpone judgement.

Sponsor

Staff online