• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any reason to try the stock liners if I have ZipFits?

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
I purchased a new pair of Technica Cochise 130s to replace my Cochise 120s from a few years ago and the minute I got them I removed the stock liners and put in my ZipFits, then did a little heating to make sure the cork gets into the right places and wear them a bit flexing around (I put the stock liners in a closet). I was just wondering if there is any reason I should try the stock liners first? I figured since I have the ZipFits and they're wonderful to just go ahead and do it the way I did. Any thoughts?

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow ZipFit owner, I can't imagine any reason to use the stock liner. People talk about "getting your money's worth" out of the stock liner, but not stock liner is going to be better than my ZipFit. I'd rather get my moneys worth and usage out of my ZipFits which have changed the game completely for me in terms of boot fitting. Sell the old ones or trash em..you don't have a need for them anymore.

TS
E221b

E221b

Skier
A different thought: Since the forefoot area of the ZipFits is just a neoprene sock, I've noticed that my right forefoot feels like it has more room than my left. Not a sloppy forefoot fit by any estimation but it feels roomy. Anyone think that's a problem? I've been in ZipFits for so long now that having room in the forefoot seems normal but I wonder if I have too much room!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow ZipFit owner, I can't imagine any reason to use the stock liner. People talk about "getting your money's worth" out of the stock liner, but not stock liner is going to be better than my ZipFit.

1) Speed in getting to first chair. If you race your fellow early birds for that proverbial worm and every second counts, getting into stock liners is a much quicker affair.

2. Mimic World Cup I find almost as good. Or at least so good that my ZipFits are collecting dust these days.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1) Speed in getting to first chair. If you race your fellow early birds for that proverbial worm and every second counts, getting into stock liners is a much quicker affair.

2. Mimic World Cup I find almost as good. Or at least so good that my ZipFits are collecting dust these days.
I can get into my boots with my Zips in them as fast as anyone can get in their boot with a stock liner..maybe faster. Once you have it dialed it's no different. I haven't found anything as good...but I've never skied the Mimic.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can get into my boots with my Zips in them as fast as anyone can get in their boot with a stock liner..maybe faster. Once you have it dialed it's no different. I haven't found anything as good...but I've never skied the Mimic.

Really? I absolutely cant get into mine if they are in the shells. Which model you have?

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
how do you people magically do this?! It's a whole to-do putting on my zips.

TS
E221b

E221b

Skier
I think it really depends on what shells you have, how stiff they are, if the boots are warmed, etc. Lot's of factors. I doubt anyone is booting up with their ZipFits already inside in a super low-volume, race-style fit shell.

In any case I find that PTFE tape, as @Noodler has talked about, helps a whole lot!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

1709743800446.gif

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it really depends on what shells you have, how stiff they are, if the boots are warmed, etc. Lot's of factors. I doubt anyone is booting up with their ZipFits already inside in a super low-volume, race-style fit shell.

In any case I find that PTFE tape, as @Noodler has talked about, helps a whole lot!

Lange RS 130, Atomic CS 130:

1709743931180.gif

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My liners packed out in my Technica Mach MV 105s and I was inquiring about aftermarket liners and my fitter said the liner in the technica's is so good that he just recommended I replace that with another stock liner which I did. This is my first time just replacing the liners but I think I'll definitely go this route to spread out the period between getting new boots

TS
E221b

E221b

Skier
I have quite the collection of untouched stock liners. Enough said. :)
Hey do you have any thoughts on how much room is too much room in the forefoot? I read somewhere that ZipFits were designed to allow your toes to move, but is there a point where there's too much room? I have fantastic heel hold and I feel completely locked in, just have room around my toes...

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey do you have any thoughts on how much room is too much room in the forefoot? I read somewhere that ZipFits were designed to allow your toes to move, but is there a point where there's too much room? I have fantastic heel hold and I feel completely locked in, just have room around my toes...
I actually feel more toe “wriggle room” in some custom foam liners that were foamed with me wearing a toe cap. Each are fine though.

Like you I found the extra room in the forefoot initially disconcerting but the performance and fit of the Zippies is vastly better than stock liners so it’s not something I concern myself with now.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really? I absolutely cant get into mine if they are in the shells. Which model you have?
Still owe a quick video to show how I do it. I can't even remember which model they are but you do have take the laces out in order to it. I dont use the laces.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
A different thought: Since the forefoot area of the ZipFits is just a neoprene sock, I've noticed that my right forefoot feels like it has more room than my left. Not a sloppy forefoot fit by any estimation but it feels roomy. Anyone think that's a problem? I've been in ZipFits for so long now that having room in the forefoot seems normal but I wonder if I have too much room!
This is one of the unspoken negatives of the zipfit, at least if you have narrow feet.

TS
E221b

E221b

Skier
This is one of the unspoken negatives of the zipfit, at least if you have narrow feet.
I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to put a little padding to take up extra volume in the toe box, but I don't think it's necessary, considering the heel hold. My shell's are Cochise 130s, which are MV, so it's not like it's supposed to be a racing shell fit or even a LV shell fit.

Sponsor