• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any info on the MultiFit last on new K2 Boa Recon/Anthem?

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not being or thinking reactionary as some associates are and that break away feature is good to know. My guess is BOA could likely help fit for many. Still, I just got new boots at a well stock store and it was really obvious that a good low volume last was the best way to start.
Just curius, but how do you hit your boots on trees without hitting the tree, and yoyr body?
I hit the body too. The outsides of my old boots and my pants clearly show they've taken damage. It could be that our surrounding Lake Superior off piste is different than other places too. I don't recall taking same sorts damage in western mountain off piste skiing.

The remaining challenges with my new boot fit might be the boots themselves and have my mind open to BOA maybe good stuff but my experience with BOA in MTB riding has been f*ckry Five Ten shoes with laces don't have. A gen 2 BOA boot with true low volume last could better catch my interest.

dfdny444

Putting on skis
Skier
Unfortunately this is marketing BS and I really wish K2 didn't go down this route. It's going to confuse customers, create sloppy fits and make boot fitter's lives more difficult. The reason they say this is because there is no mid or rear foot difference between their LV and MV boots anyway- it's just a forefoot width difference. With their way of building boots, there is no way to produce a true LV last and a true MV last anyway.

Yes - BOA wraps the forefoot better but it does not change the heel width, ankle width or heel-to-instep perimeter and ALL these things really matter in terms of finding the correct fit for your foot.

If there ever were a Hawx Prime (MV) with BOA, it would never fit like a Hawx Ultra (LV). Ever. The only way to get a true LV last is make one and the only way to make a true MV last is to make a separate one.

Salomon appears to be suggesting the same thing..."Alpine Boot last 100/106" is quoted from the S/Pro Supra Boa 120 details on the Salomon page. Anyway you can slide across the floor and get their reasoning behind this?

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Salomon appears to be suggesting the same thing..."Alpine Boot last 100/106" is quoted from the S/Pro Supra Boa 120 details on the Salomon page. Anyway you can slide across the floor and get their reasoning behind this?
Sliding across to their floor will take about 500 miles.

But I do know that they have always communicated their starting last with (first number) and the widest it will go after going through their Custom Shell fitting procedure (second number). They've been doing that since the mid-2000s.

They don't talk about creating a narrower fit out of the same boot due to BOA like K2 is doing.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

But I do know that they have always communicated their starting last with (first number) and the widest it will go after going through their Custom Shell fitting procedure (second number). They've been doing that since the mid-2000s.

They don't talk about creating a narrower fit out of the same boot due to BOA like K2 is doing.
exactly this, they are saying the boot can get this wide with a heat mold, NOT it can be this narrow if you tighten the boa

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier

From what I read, the K2 BOA is 97-100 out of box and from 100-104 requires heat modifications to the boot. So that does sound a little more toward not universal out of box. Do other boot manufacturers use this same process?

I don't know if that's just the forefoot area or the entire boot. Just throwing in some more fodder :daffy:

James

Out There
Instructor
Good to know that when I buckle my boots I’m activating my “multi-last” system.

Buckles are hence forth, discrete multi-last activators.
Boa is a, non-discontinuous multi-last definer.
That’s why boa gets the big bucks.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Wow interesting thread :)

so there had been a lot of confusion around multi fit so let me try to clean some things up.

in our buckle boots we offer our mv shell in two different forefoot widths 98mm and 100mm. This is exactly like a few other brands do it including Lange for example. The overall volume stays basically the same, instep, heel and mid foot for example are all the same and the only real area which changes is the width of the forefoot. In buckle boots we said this was mv and lv although really it’s mv with 98 or 100mm forefoot.

move forward to BOA and while engineering the new shell to work with boa we found we could create more of a change than we were able to with the two different lasted buckle shells. Our mv boa shell would reduce in volume more than our 98mm buckle
Shell when fully closed. So essentially we were able to offer a bigger range of fits from one boa shell than we could with two buckle shells. That’s where multi last came from. It’s NOT multi volume these are still mv boots but we can offer a last range of roughly 97-100mm. Our new bfc boa boots are our hv boa boots and offer a 100-103mm last range and our lv boa boot will offer a 96-98mm range.

You still want to select the correct volume boot but having a larger last range in the same shell is helping the boots fit a far greater range of feet and helping more people get a better fit with less time and money.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or feedback. And Matt racing is only one factor :) let me know when you lead the freeride world tour again :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And Matt racing is only one factor :) let me know when you lead the freeride world tour again :)

1709670518734.gif

:popcorn:

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Let me know if anyone has any questions or feedback. And Matt racing is only one factor :) let me know when you lead the freeride world tour again :)
Yeah we're struggling a bit on the men's side - we don't have a single male athlete in the mix this year, as they all went on to film with TGR or MSP.

On the women's side, we're hanging in there, winning 5 of the last 6 overalls and we just won the last stop in Georgia. Sadly, Justine is home taking care of some personal issues but we're hoping Sybille can bring it home :golfclap:

TS
V

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Tom, when Mindbender boots first came out there was some talk that last size did not vary with mondo size, all sizes of the Mindbender had a 98mm last. For other brands LV boots a stated 98mm last was only true for the reference size and scaled down or up in last width from there. Was this true? If so is it still the case? Also would be interested in knowing reasoning. Thanks.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hi Tom, when Mindbender boots first came out there was some talk that last size did not vary with mondo size, all sizes of the Mindbender had a 98mm last. For other brands LV boots a stated 98mm last was only true for the reference size and scaled down or up in last width from there. Was this true? If so is it still the case? Also would be interested in knowing reasoning. Thanks.
Hi no this was not the case the sated last or last range is always for a size 26.5 and then it scales up or down roughly two mm per size.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Yeah we're struggling a bit on the men's side - we don't have a single male athlete in the mix this year, as they all went on to film with TGR or MSP.

On the women's side, we're hanging in there, winning 5 of the last 6 overalls and we just won the last stop in Georgia. Sadly, Justine is home taking care of some personal issues but we're hoping Sybille can bring it home :golfclap:
You should build your guys some boa boots that may help :)

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow interesting thread :)

so there had been a lot of confusion around multi fit so let me try to clean some things up.

in our buckle boots we offer our mv shell in two different forefoot widths 98mm and 100mm. This is exactly like a few other brands do it including Lange for example. The overall volume stays basically the same, instep, heel and mid foot for example are all the same and the only real area which changes is the width of the forefoot. In buckle boots we said this was mv and lv although really it’s mv with 98 or 100mm forefoot.

move forward to BOA and while engineering the new shell to work with boa we found we could create more of a change than we were able to with the two different lasted buckle shells. Our mv boa shell would reduce in volume more than our 98mm buckle
Shell when fully closed. So essentially we were able to offer a bigger range of fits from one boa shell than we could with two buckle shells. That’s where multi last came from. It’s NOT multi volume these are still mv boots but we can offer a last range of roughly 97-100mm. Our new bfc boa boots are our hv boa boots and offer a 100-103mm last range and our lv boa boot will offer a 96-98mm range.

You still want to select the correct volume boot but having a larger last range in the same shell is helping the boots fit a far greater range of feet and helping more people get a better fit with less time and money.

Does the mindbender construction fit this description also, or is only for the non-touring?

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Does the mindbender construction fit this description also, or is only for the non-touring?
Mindbender uses the same mold as the recon and Anthem boots so yes everything recon and anthem is the same for mindbender.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
True. How much is a mold+plug these days anyway?
Well we would be looking at a last and lower shell, cuff and tongue molds. Then boot board, spoiler and tongue attachment molds. New liner development and of course all the r&d time to create these parts not to mention the industrial design and color design work. Yeah this boot would be pretty pricey lol.

Sponsor

Staff online