• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any info on the MultiFit last on new K2 Boa Recon/Anthem?

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
If I understand it right there won‘t be an LV and MV version of the new K2 Recon/Anthem boots with BOA. There will be a single version with what they are branding as a MultiFit™️ last, ranging from 97mm -104mm. Does anyone know more about this? I’m guessing with the shell design and the way BOA wraps the shell the last is adjustable. Great idea if it works.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Unfortunately this is marketing BS and I really wish K2 didn't go down this route. It's going to confuse customers, create sloppy fits and make boot fitter's lives more difficult. The reason they say this is because there is no mid or rear foot difference between their LV and MV boots anyway- it's just a forefoot width difference. With their way of building boots, there is no way to produce a true LV last and a true MV last anyway.

Yes - BOA wraps the forefoot better but it does not change the heel width, ankle width or heel-to-instep perimeter and ALL these things really matter in terms of finding the correct fit for your foot.

If there ever were a Hawx Prime (MV) with BOA, it would never fit like a Hawx Ultra (LV). Ever. The only way to get a true LV last is make one and the only way to make a true MV last is to make a separate one.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So is that assurance that Atomic aren't going to try to rationalize SKUs with BOA? Good to know.

BTW K2 are " the leader in performance ski boots" just so you know where the bar is set ;)

(Edit to add winkie because well....)

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
So is that assurance that Atomic aren't going to try to rationalize SKUs with BOA? Good to know.

That is 100% assurance that Atomic will not be promoting the multi-last concept that K2 will. And to my knowledge, neither will Salomon nor Fischer. If anything, we've increased our SKU count due to BOA since buckle & BOA versions exist.

BTW K2 are " the leader in performance ski boots" just so you know where the bar is set ;)

When K2 wins 23 out of the last 27 men's World Cup Overall titles, then they can say that ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both Tricia and I have/are in the K2 Recon Pro which I can say with confidence is one of the best non race consumer boot I have ever been, so I give them some leeway with the marketing-ese. But, this really can lead to unrealistic expections by the retailer and the consumer. We ran into this problem with the original Fischer Vacuum boots, people expected a performance fit without the boot touching thier foot.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That's what I don't get about boot reviews in general and indeed specifically. Surely if there is no best ski there is even more so no best boot? Isn't any boot highly specific to the skier, their tolerance for tight fit vs comfort, their skiing style and aspirations, whether they will be wearing all day or just for a couple of hours, what aftermarket mods they are going to make re liner, footbed, boosters, shims etc?

The best a review can do is describe features and design intent with a bit of data on weight, dimensions etc and whether it felt substantial or made of cheese.

I should add that maybe I'm coming at it from my own perspective of what I need in a boot and those that I know who have been through the "boot fit despondency cycle" one way or another. Maybe there is a huge rump of the market with normalised feet for whom any boot will do and the concept of "best" boot recommendations do make sense.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Indeed. There is nothing LV about K2 recon type boots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Indeed. There is nothing LV about K2 recon type boots.
Both Tricia and I have pretty LV feet, hers in particular. We refer to the Recon Pro fit as an optical illusion of fit, while it doesn't appear to be LV or even fits LV, it skis LV. I think @Wendy can also attest to that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's what I don't get about boot reviews in general and indeed specifically. Surely if there is no best ski there is even more so no best boot? Isn't any boot highly specific to the skier, their tolerance for tight fit vs comfort, their skiing style and aspirations, whether they will be wearing all day or just for a couple of hours, what aftermarket mods they are going to make re liner, footbed, boosters, shims etc?

The best a review can do is describe features and design intent with a bit of data on weight, dimensions etc and whether it felt substantial or made of cheese.

I should add that maybe I'm coming at it from my own perspective of what I need in a boot and those that I know who have been through the "boot fit despondency cycle" one way or another. Maybe there is a huge rump of the market with normalised feet for whom any boot will do and the concept of "best" boot recommendations do make sense.
You know, I cannot disagree with your thoughts, espeically since we match the boot to the foot, not the other way around. Am I contradicting myself, since I have done a few boot reviews? Maybe, but the are a lot different that how we do ski reviews. And Yes, "best boot" or "most comfortable boot" awards or claims make no sence at all and infact by making those claims can do more harm than good.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
That is 100% assurance that Atomic will not be promoting the multi-last concept that K2 will. And to my knowledge, neither will Salomon nor Fischer. If anything, we've increased our SKU count due to BOA since buckle & BOA versions exist.
ONK,

As a consumer and fan of your boots, I like what you/Atomic are doing here. More choice, not less and let the individual and their feet determine what will work best. I do feel for the shops that will need to make some tough decisions on what to stock and which will be in higher demand within their market. I could see traditional EUROs and New Englanders favoring buckles, West Coast hipsters going Boa, and a coin flip everywhere else!

I remain very, very happy with my Hawx Ultra Professionals and Hawx Ultra XTD but will definitely try on Ultra XTD Boa next fall out of curiosity. I spend way more days, and longer days in my Ultra Professionals so will be much more interested in Boa within that shell If/when it happens.

And, it will be interesting to see if Atomic is an outlier in offering buckled and BOA options in a given boot. Talk about a headache for shops that carry multiple brands if other follow your lead.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both Tricia and I have pretty LV feet, hers in particular. We refer to the Recon Pro fit as an optical illusion of fit, while it doesn't appear to be LV or even fits LV, it skis LV. I think @Wendy can also attest to that.
I have a low volume foot and moved from the Atomic Hawx Ultra 110w to the K2 Recon 120 LV. The forefoot in the K2 is wider, but the heel pocket is narrow and holds my foot. I switched because I was sick of struggling to get in and out of my boots; swore I'd quit the sport if I had to struggle that much anymore, it made me miserable.

(I realized that I really need a men's Atomic boot instead of women's for flex and cuff height with a different liner; I was using a Doberman race lace-up foam liner). The Ultra XTD with the BOA system is intriguing.

My current K2 gives me control yet is not a vise grip, so I have good circulation and my feet are happy. They are also stiffer which I needed; my women's Atomics were too soft.

When Phil had me try the K2's on, I was dubious, but he's right, they ski narrower than they look/feel. I do agree though, that dropping the LV and MV lasts to replace with one BOA system is a bummer.

Last edited:

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK,

As a consumer and fan of your boots, I like what you/Atomic are doing here. More choice, not less and let the individual and their feet determine what will work best. I do feel for the shops that will need to make some tough decisions on what to stock and which will be in higher demand within their market. I could see traditional EUROs and New Englanders favoring buckles, West Coast hipsters going Boa, and a coin flip everywhere else!

I remain very, very happy with my Hawx Ultra Professionals and Hawx Ultra XTD but will definitely try on Ultra XTD Boa next fall out of curiosity. I spend way more days, and longer days in my Ultra Professionals so will be much more interested in Boa within that shell If/when it happens.

And, it will be interesting to see if Atomic is an outlier in offering buckled and BOA options in a given boot. Talk about a headache for shops that carry multiple brands if other follow your lead.
You're right, it's not easy. I think for the launch year (and honestly the 2nd year too) we need to have both options in order to not lose anyone or prevent someone from not buying the boot. We know there are going to be holdouts and people who want a more traditional boot, but we will need to see how long that lasts for.

Ultimately, I need to have a big menu because we have the same collection offered globally. We don't make different versions for North America or Europe or Asia. So some markets can't live without a certain fit with a certain flex and other markets don't need that but they need something completely different. The range gets really big really quick because of all the different markets and their unique product needs.

But our production teams know that we can't make everything for everyone, there will have to be some choices made. We'll see how it goes ;)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight I’m going to hug my perfect fitting and aligned Lange RS130s, maybe sleep with them and probably tell them a bedtime story. Maybe a scary story involving this guy and his influence on Portabella boots.

435FCF26-3BA6-4D48-A06F-D0F39A0EDFCD.jpeg

Reactions: BMC

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Unfortunately this is marketing BS and I really wish K2 didn't go down this route. It's going to confuse customers, create sloppy fits and make boot fitter's lives more difficult. The reason they say this is because there is no mid or rear foot difference between their LV and MV boots anyway- it's just a forefoot width difference. With their way of building boots, there is no way to produce a true LV last and a true MV last anyway.

Yes - BOA wraps the forefoot better but it does not change the heel width, ankle width or heel-to-instep perimeter and ALL these things really matter in terms of finding the correct fit for your foot.

If there ever were a Hawx Prime (MV) with BOA, it would never fit like a Hawx Ultra (LV). Ever. The only way to get a true LV last is make one and the only way to make a true MV last is to make a separate one.
From experience with bike shoes and BOA plus just getting new boots I'd tend to agree. Trying different bike shoes I could sense good wrap from BOA but a truly lower volume last for the shoe made all the difference.

Having just done a first modern times custom fit in new ski boots the store had 4 different possibilities for me and it really stood out that I should go with what was best for forefoot volume above all. Dropping any attraction to brand, models or looks for best last was the thing to do.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it really stood out that I should go with what was best for forefoot volume above all

Agreed in a bike shoe. I want snug everywhere, before I even start cranking a BOA dial.

But not in a ski boot. For me, that is all about the heel/midfoot "vise", and I'll cheerfully take a bit of wiggle room for the toes.

Like you say, good to have options and not limit yourself to a certain brand.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Agreed in a bike shoe. I want snug everywhere, before I even start cranking a BOA dial.

But not in a ski boot. For me, that is all about the heel/midfoot "vise", and I'll cheerfully take a bit of wiggle room for the toes.

Like you say, good to have options and not limit yourself to a certain brand.
I'm about to try my round two with custom boot fit and an adjustment but have already found my low volume has needed wiggle room with less play yet comfy for sides of the feet.

My core concern for the BOA is at least the K2 marketing shows a plastic something sticking out sideways. My last boots have obviously hit rocks or hard tree on sides. The way BOA has been no good for some of my biking I fear it would be same for taking a hit skiing.

I'm not a super talented skier and I'm old but see off piste skiing is hard on stuff. BOA might be best for front side or really deep more open powder. In my region the off piste skiing near Lake Superior already shows a lot of damage or love to some new gear and clothing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My core concern for the BOA is at least the K2 marketing shows a plastic something sticking out sideways. My last boots have obviously hit rocks or hard tree on sides. The way BOA has been no good for some of my biking I fear it would be same for taking a hit skiing.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I'm about to try my round two with custom boot fit and an adjustment but have already found my low volume has needed wiggle room with less play yet comfy for sides of the feet.

I'm not a super talented skier and I'm old but see off piste skiing is hard on stuff. BOA might be best for front side or really deep more open powder. In my region the off piste skiing near Lake Superior already shows a lot of damage or love to some new gear and clothing.
Anything can break eventually. I finished skiing the other day to find out the metal buckle on my Booster Strap had cracked. Almost needed to cut the strap to get out. I know that thing didn't contact anything while skiing.

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 5

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Just curius, but how do you hit your boots on trees without hitting the tree, and yoyr body?

Sponsor

Staff online