• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
Rossi did manufacture some of their beginner and intermediate skis in Spain but their top of the line skis were made in France or Switzerland. I am not sure if they had any other factories around the world. They said that they manufactured some here in VT but I think that was more of a distribution center for the northeast.
They made the freestyle in VT in the mid 70's. I suspect the smash and exhibition as well

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
New addition to the collectiom. As a kid, this was one of the first skis I fell in love with because how the bases were the same as the topskin. I cannot think of another ski that has done this since. Bindings will get remounted so I can ski them. These are 170's

View attachment 48223 View attachment 48224
Did you ski them? I got a (never used) pair two years ago. No sidecut even for back then made them feel a bit funny. But in sift snow and bumps when sidecut is irrelevant, they were fun. Remember blasting GS turns down the DH run at snow basin, in spring snow, two poles in one hand, coffee in the other. One if my best runs ever! Ski them in sift snow!

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
017.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG

Found today ...
Price = $11.95 cdn

Look at the shape they are ...
Kind of brand new !!!
And they fit my new boots .

The color combination skis/bindings is perfect !
And 201 cm so I am above my lower limit , that is 2 meters .

I will sharpen them and they will be good to go next weekend .

But , gentlemen ... what are they ?
V serie ?? 4k ??
If someone can give me an inkling of a year , that would be nice .

Thank you !

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 85324 View attachment 85325 View attachment 85326 View attachment 85327 View attachment 85328 View attachment 85329 View attachment 85330 View attachment 85331

Found today ...
Price = $11.95 cdn

Look at the shape they are ...
Kind of brand new !!!
And they fit my new boots .

The color combination skis/bindings is perfect !
And 201 cm so I am above my lower limit , that is 2 meters .

I will sharpen them and they will be good to go next weekend .

V serie ?? 4k ??

Thank you !
Maybe KV for Kevlar?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
V serie ?? 4k ??

Thank you !
I will try to give it a go. Time frame is early 90's when Rossi came to the market with almost everything they had with a cosmetic cap to combat what Salomon was doing. The entry level M29 binding might be a red herring here, IIRC, these were either the later 4M mogul ski or a SMU, special graphic model to look like the higher end model for chain stores, something Rossi was doing a lot of back in the day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The bindings are from between '94 and '98 - I suspect the earlier date would fit the skis. I agree that the K is for kevlar but i believe V is Rossignol code for the semi-trapezoid sidewall design - the most famous example of which was the DV6.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a few Rossignol Competition model from these years ... so I should know ... but the ''S serie '' is bizarre ... the K for kevlar was a given .
It is kind of mixed up ...
I would think that , these being too nice , they are a SMU .
Still they could be fun to ski ... they seem stiff ... next weekend I will know !!

Uncle-A

Skier
The bindings are from between '94 and '98 - I suspect the earlier date would fit the skis. I agree that the K is for kevlar but i believe V is Rossignol code for the semi-trapezoid sidewall design - the most famous example of which was the DV6.
Maybe a better example of trapezoid side wall ski would be the Head Trapezoid ski from the late 1980's.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have a few Rossignol Competition model from these years ... so I should know ... but the ''S serie '' is bizarre ... the K for kevlar was a given .
It is kind of mixed up ...
I would think that , these being too nice , they are a SMU .
Still they could be fun to ski ... they seem stiff ... next weekend I will know !!
Do you mean V series?

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skied the above Rossignol this evening ...

I sharpened the edges and ajusted the bindings ... the only worthy slope was icy from top to bottom ... not just hard snow ... real ice !
Well , the skis are very light , stiff and very lively ... a lot of rebound ...
I was surprised , thinking that they would be kind of average .
They held and I pushed them as fast I I cared on the icy slope .

Look like a competition slalom ski ... I don't like Marker bindings but they did the job .
Whatever Serie V was , the skis are surprising !
And worth the money I paid .........

604Sean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
When I was a kid, the "pro shop" at our local ski hill had a pair of Rossignol DH Racing skis. These were the real deal and I remember a few things in particular about them. The were huge, I think the length's were 213, 217 and 220?? The underfoot part of this ski was almost an inch thick......these things must gave weighed a ton! I beleive it had DH graphics underfoot as well. Anyt pictures of these, other than below?

View attachment 50053
View attachment 50055
[/QUOTE]

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_20200214_162250696.jpg

You have got to be a nut to clamp your feet in these. But they were nice! Smooth slower slalom turns on packed powder. Rossignol Completion's from I'm guessing late 50's. Before the Allais. Anyone have a better feel?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
View attachment 93776
You have got to be a nut to clamp your feet in these. But they were nice! Smooth slower slalom turns on packed powder. Rossignol Completion's from I'm guessing late 50's. Before the Allais. Anyone have a better feel?

I skied those Simplex toe pieces in the mid 60's they were probably dated then, but they were on my Kastle DH's with turntables and deathwraps. Nice skis, seriously nice that tip guard deserves attention.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied those Simplex toe pieces in the mid 60's they were probably dated then, but they were on my Kastle DH's with turntables and deathwraps. Nice skis, seriously nice that tip guard deserves attention.
Yes, I need to fix that tip guard! I used a Lipe Release Check on the toe, which surprisingly worked great with near a cm of anti shock. The cable clamp lever incorporates a forward release, surprisingly, that worked too! Salomon clamp lever.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier

Olympique 41. Nice article by Seth Masia says production started in 1941 hence the 41 and seems to suggest ended in 1965. That is a long run. The Marker toe could be early 60s? It should say Olympique under the toe piece. How long are they?

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a pair with Cubcos I posted pictures of back in the thread somewhere. On the sidewall is length and serial number 205 1204 but under the heel are perhaps some production value numbers: Hickory BT 888.077 (the T is actually a small capital T underlined)

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 93776
I would have to see a better look at the toe to try to venture a guess.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Olympique 41. Nice article by Seth Masia says production started in 1941 hence the 41 and seems to suggest ended in 1965. That is a long run. The Marker toe could be early 60s? It should say Olympique under the toe piece. How long are they?

Many people say have forgotten more about gear than they would ever know...Seth has probably forgotten more than I have ever known.

Sponsor

Staff online