• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Season Tire Rec for Subaru Forester/Toyota RAV

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, my hand was forced yesterday when I had a massive flat while driving at 70+mph on the freeway heading into town. Tire was torn about two inches, who knows from what. So, thankfully, Discount Tire got me in at 5:30 and applied as many credits with Michelin as they could, and I left with a new set of Michelin Defender HT. I had Defender M&S and liked them a lot, but wanted something a bit more for a car than a truck. So far, they are quieter and smoother. I considered going with something less expensive, but between maximizing my mileage credits with Michelin, and being a big believer in "you get what you pay for" with tires, I decided to go with the better tires.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m taking my daughter’s Forester tomorrow morning.....I’m down to three choices....General Altimax RT43, Continental True Contact, Michelin Defenders.....

I’ll take my wife’s RAV in June....I’ll see how the ones I buy tomorrow do for a month, then either buy the same or choose one of those others.

Thanks Pugs....the thread definitely helped in my research/choices. I’ll report what I bought tomorrow am.

Can’t go wrong with Michelin imo.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Can’t go wrong with Michelin imo.
One of my cars came with Michelins as OEM tires and they were poor quality. No matter what air pressure I used they would squeak at most turns and only got 29K miles out of them. Replaced them with the Cooper tires with no issues.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my cars came with Michelins as OEM tires and they were poor quality. No matter what air pressure I used they would squeak at most turns and only got 29K miles out of them. Replaced them with the Cooper tires with no issues.
I have come to the conclusion that all OEM tires are crap. I had the same issue with the Yokohamas that came on my CX-5, yet supposedly they are a great tire.

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This morning I had 4 General Altimax RT43’s put on my daughters 2017 Subaru Forester.

We’ll see how they do....but, I will wait a month and then decide what to put on my wife’s Toyota RAV.

Thanks again for all the recs....

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I get that. I don’t think car manufacturers have a habit of putting great quality tires on their vehicles. While I’ve have new car tires not last, our after market Michelin tires have been stellar.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t think car manufacturers have a habit of putting great quality tires on their vehicles.

Agree most OEM tires, irrespective on manufacturer, sole purpose is to keep the rims above the payment until the financing check clears. There maybe some premium car brands where this isn't the case, but some new cars come with really mediocre rubber that mercifully wears out quickly.

Uncle-A

Skier
I had
I have come to the conclusion that all OEM tires are crap. I had the same issue with the Yokohamas that came on my CX-5, yet supposedly they are a great tire.
I had a pair Yokohama tires on a mini van years ago they were brand new and not OEM. Yes, they were crap, took them off and gave them away. I will never use a Yokohama tire on any of my vehicles.

Uncle-A

Skier
I get that. I don’t think car manufacturers have a habit of putting great quality tires on their vehicles. While I’ve have new car tires not last, our after market Michelin tires have been stellar.
My daughter purchased a set of Michelin tires at Costco and had good luck with them, it has been my experience that has made me not a fan.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
8EFEC7B1-1955-4D18-95D8-6C2381CDF86B.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January