• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Season Tire Rec for Subaru Forester/Toyota RAV

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both my wife and daughters cars need new tires ASAP....so wanted to hear from the collective. I tried to search through past threads, but figured I’d start a more current one.

We live in NEPA....and use All Season tires. Both drive about 15,000 miles a year. Both vehicles currently have the stock tires on from Subaru and Toyota. They got about 30,000 miles/2 years out of them.

Now we are shopping for the long run....but there is just so many choices....and I need help weeding through the mess that is buying tires.

Welcome to any/all recommendations, but I would love a drop the mic type of recommendation.......

Thank you.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
General Altimax RT43 (Continental AG owns General) is a great performing all season value tire.
I have both the snow tire version and all season version on the GF’s Subbie Outback.
She loves them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=265HR7AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Outback&autoModClar=2.5i Premium

Thanks, the General Altimax is on my short list along with the Continental DWS 06.......or Continental TrueContact Tour

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve got these that must go- outta stater totaled my CRV.

All season tires
Nokia’s XL entyre 2.0
•All season tires
•215/65R 16 size
•Only ~ 10,000 miles on them
•Rotated every 5k
•Best offer
•Call/Text 802-683-0248

If they fit & you can get em.... I’ll take a sixer

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Continental DWS 06. :micdrop:
I got those for The Woman Of My Dreams. I was hoping to avoid another set of real winter tires. She drove them ONE TIME in the snow, and the first thing out of her mouth was "put snow tires on my car."

To be fair, she's not a very skilled or confident winter driver, so she really needs the best tires. Still those were pretty spendy tires for not being much but than OEM.

dm

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have found altimax to be better in snow than conti dws. Contis provide a smoother ride and probably better handling if you can measure that in a mid level sub.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still those were pretty spendy tires for not being much but than OEM.

We can agree to disagree, and we all have our own experiences to go on. I have the DWS 06 on three of my cars, Dunlop Wintersport 3D on another, and Pirelli Sottozeros on yet another (and Michelin A/S 3+ on a final car). The DWS 06 is competitive with the Dunlops in the snow, and far superior in dry and wet conditions. The Pirelli snows are better than the DWS 06 in the snow, but really suffer comparatively in other conditions. And, in the snow, the DWS 06 is far superior to the Michelins, but the Michelins are better in the dry. For a three-season tire (at least where I live - Colorado foothills), with an occasional snow-need, I think the DWS 06 can't be beat.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
For a three-season tire (at least where I live - Colorado foothills), with an occasional snow-need, I think the DWS 06 can't be beat.
I agree with that. As long as "an occasional snow-need" means "I stay home or let Dave drive when it gets really bad."

dm

Reactions: doc

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wow, that is quite the tread pattern! I am going to need new all-season tires (really, just 3 season as I have snows) for my CX-5, and am intrigued by these.

Amy - Here’s the test info from Tirerack that you might find interesting. Were using the Goodyear WeatherReady now as our 3 season tires, you just never know when an early or late snow storm is going to hit.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy - Here’s the test info from Tirerack that you might find interesting. Were using the Goodyear WeatherReady now as our 3 season tires, you just never know when an early or late snow storm is going to hit.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231
That is absolutely true and definitely a consideration, especially since my daily commute takes me up and down Weber Canyon, which can be a MESS with snow. Good info-thanks for sharing!

ETA rain is also a consideration here. In fact, it's been pouring here all day today. It tends to rain quite a bit all summer, with summer storms and such.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a Michelin fanboy and have Premier's on two vehicles and love them. The new Cross Climate look better all around. It's nice to see each successive generation of tires continue to improve. From CR:

Products_comparison_chart.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have both Kelly tires and Cooper tires on two of my cars without any trouble in the snow or rain. The performance is good and the price point doesn't break the bank since you said that you need two complete sets.

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m taking my daughter’s Forester tomorrow morning.....I’m down to three choices....General Altimax RT43, Continental True Contact, Michelin Defenders.....

I’ll take my wife’s RAV in June....I’ll see how the ones I buy tomorrow do for a month, then either buy the same or choose one of those others.

Thanks Pugs....the thread definitely helped in my research/choices. I’ll report what I bought tomorrow am.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m taking my daughter’s Forester tomorrow morning.....I’m down to three choices....General Altimax RT43, Continental True Contact, Michelin Defenders.....

I’ll take my wife’s RAV in June....I’ll see how the ones I buy tomorrow do for a month, then either buy the same or choose one of those others.

Thanks Pugs....the thread definitely helped in my research/choices. I’ll report what I bought tomorrow am.
Continentals are usually a good performers but my wife now refuses to use them no matter how good they are after two of the four she had on her Legacy GT developed sidewall bubbles at relatively low mileage.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
We put Michelin Premier A/S on our Forester. Got them from Cosco at a good price. Seemed like an improvement on the stock Geolandars in terms of road noise and handling. No problems in snowy conditions around Kirkwood, or Whistler & Vail for that matter. Good option for the 4 hour run from Bay Area up to Tahoe.

Sponsor

Staff online