• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All mountain: Rossi Hero Plus vs White Out

Alan Linsley

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking for a ski to fill the gap between my SL skis and 97mm Black Crows.

After a lifetime of skiing with quite a lot of coaching, I am a strong expert. I have some small bad habits that my coach and I are working on, but at my age, those habits are hard to break!

6’1”, 210lbs. I ski at Whistler.

My main ski this year has been some FIS Rossi Hero SLs in a 165. These are super fun in most no-new-snow conditions, I love the energy that comes out of a turn on them, but they definitely hold me back skiing off the groomed.

So I am looking for something a little longer and wider that still has that race ski feel.

The new Hero Plus seems like a good option. The Blossom White Out has almost the same dimensions. My guess is that there are only a very few people who have skied both - and they are probably Pugski members! I am hoping for some insights.

I will demo the Hero, but clearly can’t demo the Blossoms. I like the idea of the uniqueness of the Blossoms, and read great things about the build quality.

So, has anyone had the chance to ski both? How do they compare?

Thanks
Alan

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Ever consider the Head Titan or Stockli AX?

I skied multiple runs off spankys and pretty much everything at whistler on my Titans my trip there in January. The big snows quit and the most we had was 6” of fresh one day.

I also managed a peak to creek run in just shy of 11 minutes, they like speed.

@Dakine has some blossom knowledge

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

Skier
Stockli are a consideration, but are so expensive new and no demo option.

I have skied a titan a few years ago. Nice ski, but did not love it. I am told I should try the Rally, which is also on my list.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I can't say much since I have not skied the Hero Plus.
I skied my White Out 176 r15 boards and my Rossi Hero Masters, 176 r18 the last two days on perfectly groomed natural ego snow the last two days.
They are very different skis.
The White Outs are like super slalom skis for the real world and they are much more fun than my Fisher WC SL SC's on anything but ice.
The Heros are a cheater GS ski with the classic Rossi underfoot feel.
After skiing the White Outs a bunch I think they are a really unique ski.
They have a strong tip like an old Volkl but a tail that releases the turn really easily.
Both these skis are carving machines but the White Outs require less attention to ski well than the Rossi Heros.
Of course, if you put your big boy pants on maybe you could get ScottsSkier to ship you these...
https://www.pugski.com/threads/ross...-with-mfx-15-bindings-170-pick-up-only.14367/
ogsmile

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

Skier
Ha. I have a newer set of those same GS skis. 25m radius. I ski on weekends, with people on the hill GS skis are not as fun as SL.
I sold a 30m pair last year. They were no fun, IMHO.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Since you ski at Whistler, can you go to Seattle easily? Mike (Premier Skis) there may have the white out or equivalent skis for demo.

I am looking for a ski to fill the gap between my SL skis and 97mm Black Crows.

After a lifetime of skiing with quite a lot of coaching, I am a strong expert. I have some small bad habits that my coach and I are working on, but at my age, those habits are hard to break!

6’1”, 210lbs. I ski at Whistler.

My main ski this year has been some FIS Rossi Hero SLs in a 165. These are super fun in most no-new-snow conditions, I love the energy that comes out of a turn on them, but they definitely hold me back skiing off the groomed.

So I am looking for something a little longer and wider that still has that race ski feel.

The new Hero Plus seems like a good option. The Blossom White Out has almost the same dimensions. My guess is that there are only a very few people who have skied both - and they are probably Pugski members! I am hoping for some insights.

I will demo the Hero, but clearly can’t demo the Blossoms. I like the idea of the uniqueness of the Blossoms, and read great things about the build quality.

So, has anyone had the chance to ski both? How do they compare?

Thanks
Alan

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I have been on the Hero Plus (167), and I own the White Out (176). :)

The Hero Plus had that 'wide race' feel, the White Out is a bit more all mountain. Another ski to consider, and it impressed me, is this year's Blizzard Firebird Competition (172, 72mm, 14.5m). All three feel like they are made with quality materials; as far as off piste chops, I would rate them White Out/Firebird Competition/Hero Plus, in that order.

a ski that bridges the gap with those vs FIS SL, and I tried in Kitzbuhel last year (and ended up buying), is the rec SL Atomic S9. gobs of power, one of the most even flexes I have encountered.

@trailtrimmer mentioned the iTitan (current gen, which might not be what you got on a few years ago). Wider and recreational-er than all of the above, it is nevertheless a fine suggestion. The tip shape and flex lend to a surprisingly quick turn initiation, and is very forgiving off piste for skis like this.

I'll be curious to hear where you land, keep us posted.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Narrow'ish, Head Titan or the Hero Plus. Both good, both different feels. Plus feels more 'racy'.
Wider, Head Monster 88, Nordica Enforcer 88, Legend 88, MX 89...

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

Skier
Thanks everybody for weighing in. I am going to try and get on the Hero Plus this coming weekend. I think i can access a demo on any of the Head line, so will give them a go as well.
Will report back.

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

Skier
So I had a chance to do some demos.

Rossi Elite Plus Ti in a 182.
I liked these skis, but I found myself wishing for a little less length. After skiing 165s most of the season (not a lot of new snow at WB this year), these felt significantly less nimble. I wish I had tried the 177.

Head Titan in a 177
These were nice, better than I remembered. Much more relaxed than my race skis. I definitely get why they are so popular. I could see myself buying a pair. My only hesitation is that I think I missed the tortional stiffness - maybe these were just a bit too relaxed.

Rossi EXP 88ti. 180
These were not for me. Too soft, but they were what was available at the time. I lasted one run.

Atomic Vantage 90 in a 177
I used to ski the Vantage 100 and liked them. These were nice skis, but I think a bit too wide for what I want this ski to do.

I hopefully will get a chance to try some of the Rally’s in the next couple of weeks.

I’m still feeling that the Blossoms could be cool. But the season is slowing down here (16 degrees Celsius in the valley right now), so getting on a pair this season seems increasingly unlikely.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alan,

I wonder if you could expand on your Rosi Elite Plus demo review. I am looking at that ski for my use. I am similar to you, only bigger and my favorite ski is my Rosi Radical 9 Slant nose slalom ski. It is 175 cm with a 14 m radius. I really like the way it turns and I use it to coach all the time. The issue I have is on a big mtn it is a little hyper active at speed and I can't relax on it. It also was extremely stiff when new and in any irregular terrain it was a bit punishing. I am trying to find a carver to use as a daily driver for hard snow on the East Coast. I would like it to turn similar to my Rosi, but be softer, longer, and have a cruise mode. The Hero Elite Plus 182 cm might just be perfect for me.

I have recently skied the Fischer Curve DTX in 178cm and the K2 Super Charger in 181cm. The K2 was very race like, it had a fairly active tip that pulled you into a turn. It didn't quite make slalom radius turns, but pretty close. In a shorter length it will be quicker. You might like it. The Fischer DTX is softer, much more forgiving, and feels different, more light and springy, with a less active tip. A lot more feedback from this ski. Both skis handled speed well. The Fischer was less demanding than the K2.

I have been doing some "specmanship" to try to understand what skis to demo. Here are the spec's on the skis I am looking at. The skis in bold type are the ones I own. I am moving towards the carver type ski and away from the all mtn typ skis.

upload_2019-3-17_23-29-57.png

TS
Alan Linsley

Alan Linsley

Skier
Hi Scott,
That's a handy chart!
I did not find that the Elite Plus skied like my SL skis. I skied the Plus for most of the day, but my last run was back on the SLs and my reaction was "ahhh, that's better!". There are a few reviews on here that say that the Plus lacks the quickness of an SL ski and I really felt that. I think I actually preferred the Titan over the Plus. I really do wish I has tried the 177 Plus.
My SL ski is 10cm shorter and a 13m radius, with about 50 days on them, so maybe a bit livelier edge to edge than your slant nose benchmark. Perhaps you would be fine with the gap between yours and the Plus.
FWIW, I also skied the current model of the Brahma a few weeks ago, which was a disappointment. I loved the Bonafide from a few years ago, so was a little surprised that the Brahma didn't work for me. I include this only as I see you have a pair, so if they are working for you, our tastes in skis might be a bit different.
Alan

James

Out There
Instructor
Stockli are a consideration, but are so expensive new and no demo option.

I have skied a titan a few years ago. Nice ski, but did not love it. I am told I should try the Rally, which is also on my list.
God no. Bloated tip has made this ski terrible imo, but some love it. The 1st one was good but at 210lbs you'd over power it.
Pay attention to the tip design. Skis with a square tip, or the widest part of the ski is on the curve up don't make great 3-d or junk snow skis. I'd love my Rossi Hero Masters 180/21m ski in off piste with a different tip. A White Out with less sidecut wiuld be highly attractive.
Some skis I haven't tried-Volkl Deacon 74-78, Atomic X9 wide ( next year ski), Head rebel something - thete's so many, look at the tip though some are squarish.

I'm surprised I didn't like the S9 /172 more. I've spent at least 3 days on it. Bleh. Heavy, fights you to turn. Heavy not weight but feel. A slalom race is heavy carrying but not skiing. Give me a slalom anyday.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not find that the Elite Plus skied like my SL skis. I skied the Plus for most of the day, but my last run was back on the SLs and my reaction was "ahhh, that's better!". There are a few reviews on here that say that the Plus lacks the quickness of an SL ski and I really felt that. I think I actually preferred the Titan over the Plus. I really do wish I has tried the 177 Plus.

FWIW, I also skied the current model of the Brahma a few weeks ago, which was a disappointment. I loved the Bonafide from a few years ago, so was a little surprised that the Brahma didn't work for me. I include this only as I see you have a pair, so if they are working for you, our tastes in skis might be a bit different.

Thanks, Alan

I don't like the Brahma either. It was described as a "great carver" but I posted a review of my ski and I felt the tail washed out when on hardpack. I will say I like the ski in softer snow, just not on hardpack. The best description I have heard that fits is "its a free ride ski that can handle groomers". It is easy to ski off piste, its just not a great front side hard snow ski.

Even though I own several skis, I am still looking for a similar ski as you, a great carving short turn ski to use on hard pack as a daily driver. The skis I have just don't do it for me (except the Rosi slalom ski on small hills, need something longer for big mtn's.) The ski I want may not exist, but I want to demo whats on my list and see where I stand.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a 2018 Rally in that slot and frankly would like something narrower. Given that you have a SL ski I would look at the Fischer Curv GT. It has more beef than the GTX and is I think 80MM underfoot. I skied it a day and a half in Utah and had a lot of fun on it. I skied the 182 and I am 6' 200lbs so similar sized to you. I felt the Rally made shorter turns easier than Curv GT but the Curv has a little more beef to it which if you have a SL race ski I think you would like.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alan,

Can the 181cm Hero Elite Plus Ti make short radius slalom turns? Or is it too long to do that? What radius turn would you say? Also, does the tip pull you into the turn when you engage the edges?

I am not surprised it was not as quick as your 165cm ski, that is the length effect.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 180 Rossi Hero Masters 21m can make short turns nicely. I was quite surprised. I spent most of Dec,-Feb on it.
Look at a slalom race ski tip. It is not a "pulling tip" -at all. The front of the ski is the push/pull mechanism. Perhaps that's what makes a slalom such a versatile ski for many.

Pulling tips are a two edged sword. At some point of high edge angle/snow condition a pulling tip can become a plow.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I spent all day today on my White Outs.
Typical spring groomer day, hard groomed transitioning into great carving base with slush on top.
Early on, when it was hard, I would rather have been skiing my Heros.
But as soon as it softened a bit the White Outs became more fun than an old guy should have.
I see the White Outs as a cheater GS ski with an extra 7mm stuck in the middle so you don't boot out in slushy snow.
My 176's with a 15m radius make me turn more than the 18m Heros but they were an absolute hoot today
.The 182's at 16m radius would be a great ski for your quiver I think.
They have a crazy high top end and I guarantee you won't complain about how they carve.
The best thing about the Blossom shape is how easily the tails release the turn compared to the Heros.
The sweet spot is about twice the size on the White Outs and they don't try to suck you into a tail back, decreasing radius death spiral.

James

Out There
Instructor
I spent all day today on my White Outs.
Typical spring groomer day, hard groomed transitioning into great carving base with slush on top.
Early on, when it was hard, I would rather have been skiing my Heros.
But as soon as it softened a bit the White Outs became more fun than an old guy should have.
I see the White Outs as a cheater GS ski with an extra 7mm stuck in the middle so you don't boot out in slushy snow.
My 176's with a 15m radius make me turn more than the 18m Heros but they were an absolute hoot today
.The 182's at 16m radius would be a great ski for your quiver I think.
They have a crazy high top end and I guarantee you won't complain about how they carve.
The best thing about the Blossom shape is how easily the tails release the turn compared to the Heros.
The sweet spot is about twice the size on the White Outs and they don't try to suck you into a tail back, decreasing radius death spiral.
You don't find it's too much sidecut in 3-d snow?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look at a slalom race ski tip. It is not a "pulling tip" -at all. The front of the ski is the push/pull mechanism. Perhaps that's what makes a slalom such a versatile ski for many.

Pulling tips are a two edged sword. At some point of high edge angle/snow condition a pulling tip can become a plow.

Not sure if I get your meaning on this point. Are you saying on a slalom ski, what pulls or initiates a turn when on edge is more than just the tip, its the tip plus some length of the front half of the ski?

I would think that is always true, which is why I checked the "tip" width minus the waist width number. I think the bigger the difference, the more short turn oriented it is. I would guess the "flare" on the tip makes a big difference in making the tip "pull" you into the turn, also.

I like skis that "auto turn" for you when you roll them on edge. The down side is at speed and on rough conditions (and 3D snow) you can't "shut off" the auto turn and it can work against you. Basically you have to "unturn" to keep the ski stable and / or the ski plows as you say. I am thinking the goal would be to find a ski that strikes a nice balance on this particular feature.

Sponsor