• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2016 Nordica NRGY 80. In 177.
https://www.ebay.com/i/202164072459?

I demoed these in bumps and they were fantastic....super nice flex, quick, forgiving, fun. Nice carves on groomers, too.
Slap some Look Pivot 12’s or 14’s and you’ll have a great, relatively low cost setup that you can ski all over the mountain.

I’d stay within the 78-80 range in width in skis for bumps.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That is a killer deal on the Latigos from the store I feel like I’ve kept “business booming” the last few years!

Those would work in that length for the OP size and at that price you could always sell them and make money if you don’t like them. Nice bindings too.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Of the skis you mentioned the only ones I've skied are the Brahma CA. I liked them a lot and they are nice an quick in the bumps. Certainly more so than the regular Brahma which I also liked but found to be a bit too much effort for me (6'/155lbs.). I ended up with the Atomic Vantage 90 which I find kind of splits the difference. A little more playful than the Brahma but a little stiffer than the Brahma CA in longer/faster turns.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am looking at buying a similar ski. I am 5'7 200 lbs and looking for something fun in the bumps. Currently I ski the blizzard 8.5ti and it feels really stiff in the bumps. I think its a stiffer ski overall but maybe its user error in the bumps. How does the Brahma CA compare to what I have currently? Would it be a good complementary ski for bumps etc?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking at buying a similar ski. I am 5'7 200 lbs and looking for something fun in the bumps. Currently I ski the blizzard 8.5ti and it feels really stiff in the bumps. I think its a stiffer ski overall but maybe its user error in the bumps. How does the Brahma CA compare to what I have currently? Would it be a good complementary ski for bumps etc?
I'm curious about the length of your 8.5ti? I really enjoy mine 174's in the bumps at 5'10 175 lbs. I like a stiffer ski in the bumps, but I think I'd hate the 181. Length totally changes a ski, and bumps are much easier with a shorter ski.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm curious about the length of your 8.5ti? I really enjoy mine 174's in the bumps at 5'10 175 lbs. I like a stiffer ski in the bumps, but I think I'd hate the 181. Length totally changes a ski, and bumps are much easier with a shorter ski.

I have the 174. Honestly the bumps your see might be a bit different than what I see. Typically when we get bumps they are rock solid mounds of ice. So I find the tip is a little stiff but then again maybe I need a lesson. Ski area has a bump clinic next week maybe I’ll try that before spending on new ski.

HooDooThere

I customized it myself.
Skier
2016 Nordica NRGY 80. In 177.
https://www.ebay.com/i/202164072459?

I demoed these in bumps and they were fantastic....super nice flex, quick, forgiving, fun. Nice carves on groomers, too.
Slap some Look Pivot 12’s or 14’s and you’ll have a great, relatively low cost setup that you can ski all over the mountain.

I’d stay within the 78-80 range in width in skis for bumps.

I was really interested in these but went with that Latigo deal. Wish I could get both. Haven't skied either BUT, as of 1/23/17, the Nordicas are 179.00 on clearance at EVO....screaming deal.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/nordica-nrgy-80#image=107329/445711/clone.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd go with the Elan Amphibio 84 XTi Fusion. Asymmetric camber/rocker profile and one sheet of titinal for superb frontside carving. 84mm underfoot for mogul skiing. Integrated binding system that can adjust for different boot lengths.

Personally I'd go for the 88mm underfoot option if you truly want more of an all mountain ski.

I have three pairs of Elan skis and can't say enough about how innovative this company is.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd go with the Elan Amphibio 84 XTi Fusion. Asymmetric camber/rocker profile and one sheet of titinal for superb frontside carving. 84mm underfoot for mogul skiing. Integrated binding system that can adjust for different boot lengths.

Personally I'd go for the 88mm underfoot option if you truly want more of an all mountain ski.

I have three pairs of Elan skis and can't say enough about how innovative this company is.

Hmmm, I really love my Amphibio 88 XTi in 186 cm (with Look Pivot 12 bindings, @Philpug !) for all mountain carving and crud, but I wouldn't say they are a great mogul ski. At least at my skill level and size (6'6", 225 lb) I've found them to be a bit much.

James

Out There
Instructor
I hear the fx 85 is great in the bumps...
Yes, non hp fx 85 is very good in the bumps. Never tried the hp version. It does lack some horsepower on the groomed but still quite decent.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski the fx 94 in bumps and they are quite nice, especially in powder or soft bumps. I get frustrated with the lack of metal but they are sweet in the soft stuff.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The FX85 HP is lots fun in the softer bumps. Swivels and pivots well.
On firmer bumps, I like my Kendo much better.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 174. Honestly the bumps your see might be a bit different than what I see. Typically when we get bumps they are rock solid mounds of ice. So I find the tip is a little stiff but then again maybe I need a lesson. Ski area has a bump clinic next week maybe I’ll try that before spending on new ski.
I skied some seriously refrozen bumps this weekend and loved my Blizzard Magnum 8.5ti's. With warm sunny spring days and cold high elevation nights, the bumps on south facing runs can be brutal in Colorado. Bumps like those are why I really like skis with some frontside power as a daily driver.

Any thoughts on a similar inexpensive ski to sacrifice to the rock gods? I did a little damage this weekend. I'd buy another pair of 8.5ti's in a heartbeat, but they're getting rare and the price has gone up. I should have bought a backup pair when they were dirt cheap. :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online