• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
This year gave us a new opportunity at SIA, a "not exactly sure what we will be testing” opportunity. In 2014, we knew we would be on hard-snow skis. In 2015, we knew we would be on soft-snow skis. For 2016, conditions ended up putting us on every kind of ski, from 68 to 112 mm underfoot (I think I stopped at 106).

The trend for the 2016-2017 crop was a move toward skis becoming more “accessible.” Kästle did it, Atomic did it, Nordica did it, Salomon did it, Elan really, really did it, and so on. These manufacturers (and others) either rebooted or replaced a current model with a softer-edged version that can be skied by more types of skiers. Or, if skis didn't become softer, they were given a shape that reaches down to the intermediate or advanced skier and gives them a boost (Kästle and Elan, in particular).

If you're reading between the lines, you might be wondering where the burly, charge-y skis are going. In general, they're either going away or getting narrower, as in sub-85mm, frontside narrow.

As stated above, this is a trend, and not an absolute. Some ski makers didn't change at all: Blizzard is holding fast with Flipcore, although they received a modest softening/accessible-izing last year.

Sub-90mm Skis

Blizzard Quattro 84Ti
Dimensions: 129-84-113
Radius: 17.5m@181cm
Size tested: 181
Design: All New

Blizzard has been spending a lot of money rebooting frontside skis, early and often. The number of new models since the 2012 Magnum 8.0 and 8.5 has made it hard to keep score. Two short years ago, I tested the excellent 800S and the X-Power 810; both were energetic carvers with power and good snow feel. Now Blizzard has the new Quattro series (with an old name), and it feels like a step back; the sound of my voice in the voice memo I made for it had that slightly disappointed “faint praise” tone.

What all that means is that the Quattro is great at laying cheater-GS-type trenches on the groomed trails. Period. It doesn't inspire you to venture off piste like an FX85 (although it is superior to the FX on piste), it doesn't say, “Hey, let's ski the bumps under the lift!” to you. Blizzard’s frontsiders of two or three (four? time flies) years ago seemed more encouraging.

The question that comes to mind is, “Why make a ski 84mm underfoot with that kind of personality?” The 71mm Blossom Great Shape feels right at home with a bit of dour frown stirred into its style; it is meant for the same kind of serious business. If the goal was to create a line of skis that shares nothing with the playful (but surprisingly capable) narrow off-piste 77mm Latigo, they have succeeded in no uncertain terms. But whereas Kästle has two distinct lines, FX and MX, that each have a specific focus, neither is a one-trick pony. The Quattro is.
  • Who is it for? Folks who want to be on groomer and on edge each and every run of the day. They're out there, and this is their ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who require more versatility; maybe you don't have a huge quiver, and your ski needs to do it all, even if that means some compromise on hard snow. Have a look at the Volkl RTM 86 UVO instead.
  • Insider tip: The Ca didn't have metal, and it felt slightly less planted/connected compared to the amazing (and amazingly expensive) non-metal Renoun Z-90. I only made a few turns on it, but the Quattro Ti had more of that connected-to-the-snow feel, at a slight cost in heavier, less flickable nature.

Blossom Great Shape
Dimensions: 121-71-106
Radius: 17m@181
Design: Carryover

This ski is misnamed, but then so are Fischer Vacuum boots, as both manufacturers have chosen a more friendly marketing angle. The Great Shape should be called the Great Construction, although doing so would probably put them out of business. Quel dommage, what a loss, here we go in ze sauce…

This is a crazy fun ski. Turn shapes are modifiable, it shrugs off crud and end-of-day messy groomers; the Great Shape has fantastic, accommodating construction inside. Sure, it may encourage you to ski fast, but what it really wants you to have a go at is skiing aggressively, not necessarily fast. Pick a tree on the side of the hill to turn toward. Now, in the middle of the turn, pick a tree 20 m higher up the slope and try to turn more tightly toward it. Don't give up, this ski wants you to be a better You.
  • Who is it for? Skiers with room (and funds) to add a rather narrow ski to their quiver but who still want fun and versatility.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers with a smaller quiver that hope this can cover everything under 85 mm or so; this is a delightfully made narrow ski, but it is just shy of real all-mountain cred.
  • Insider tip: Psst! This Blossom (like the White Out) is a great value, too. At $749 flat, you get a very expensive feel for almost middle-of-the-bell-curve money. Also take a look at the 164 (13m, suspiciously SLish), 170 (14m), and 176 (16m); pick your personality, and have fun.

Blossom White Out
Dimensions: 131-77-110
Radius: 16m@182cm
Size tested: 182
Design: New Construction

Best ski in test.

Best value in test.

Drahtguy Kevin and I wandered over to the Blossom tent on a whim. I'm not saying that I’ll be changing my name to Snoop Lion, but this ski was a near-religious experience. I would not be surprised to learn that Ullr allows snow to fall just so people can enjoy the White Out. It has everything: stability, forgiveness, playfulness, great turn initiation. The relatively fat, relatively soft tip is fat and soft in all the right ways: it pulls you predictably into turns, it eases comfortingly over irregular snow, it makes me a happier skier.

I'm on a 77-ish kick, truth be told. I own (the first step is admitting my addiction, right?) the Stöckli OTWO (75mm), this year's Head Rally (77mm), and the outgoing Kästle MX78 (would you believe it's 78 underfoot?). Throwing the White Out into the mix, if I had access to just one of the four, it would be the White Out overall (even considering the 2017 Rally, which has a really nice feel to it).

But best value?! Yes. This premium-feeling ski is $749 flat, and I would take it over two skis in my quiver that retail for $400 to $600 more.
  • Who is it for? Folks tired of reading about people gushing over Stöckli and Kästle, back and forth forever, in the premium category.
  • Who is it not for? Good question. It's accessible to a lot of people, not by being softer, or rocker-ier, but through sheer quality.
  • Insider tip: The 170, 176, and 182 each have a different personality, from "grintacular, near-WC SL” in the 170, to "ridiculous all-mountain fore/aft forgiveness without loss of excitement” in the 182. What mood do you want this ski to enhance? If you're not sure, get the 176, and enjoy some of the best turns of your life.

Blossom Wind Shear
Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Size tested: 180

This is the old Hart Pulse, literally, If that means anything to you. I admit, it feels a generation behind the White Out, but it is still a stable, encouraging ski. What I cannot understand is its existence next to the White Out. Both are 77 underfoot, why sell them? It's almost as confusing as the Nordica Nrgy and Enforcer at 100 underfoot, with one as the clear standout.

I'm not in the industry, I have no dog in any of these hunts, I’m a layman. But if Blossom could kick the Wind Shear to the curb and make a White Out 87 or 93 that preserves the essence, they would have a fantastic stick that isn't available on the market today.
  • Who is it for? Folks who want a Hart Pulse and can't find any, or cheater GS lovers who wish that a more versatile, easier-going ski with that sidecut existed. Here you go.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who couldn't imagine themselves on a ski under whateveryourthresholdis mm in width, probably north of 85 or 90 mm. This isn't the ski that will change your mind. However, the Whi… OK, I'll stop now.
  • Insider tip: Try both the White Out and the Wind Shear, if you can. I suspect some will prefer the Wind Shear, but they might not have as big a smile as the White Out advocates.

Head Rally
Dimensions: 136-77-115
Radius: 14.7m@177cm
Size tested: 177

I own last year's 177 Rally, and it is a fine "easy SL" ski. The new Rally is altered sufficiently to be called new, but has enough of its predecessor that a blindfolded test would be a challenge. (Note: pugski.com does NOT recommend that you ski blindfolded. But if you do, please video it for our entertainment.)

Its difference lies in feel. Perhaps it is the Graphene, I am not ready to get on that bandwagon, but it is a quieter, less vibrate-y Rally, not that the last one was bad at all. Apart from that, it has the same "sub-cheater GS" sidecut, which is why I call it an easy SL. The tip looks different from this year, but still initiates very well; tip the ski and it engages, and a smile appears on your face with the response. It has a hint of rise that resists tip dive off piste, a versatile mid-70s ski. I would place its off-piste skills above the 174cm Renoun Z-90 that I skied a few days after the SIA test.
  • Who is it for? A World Cup SL owner who wants an all-mountain alternative, something a bit more forgiving, a little less "Jane, stop this crazy thing!" than your SLs that want to arc endlessly down the fall line, but aggressive enough to lay the trenches you're used to.
  • Who is it not for? If you aren't comfortable being on edge, a lot, this might not be for you. A more sedate alternative, incredibly, would be the outgoing Kästle MX78 (I own that, too), which is also very “quiet" and damp.
  • Insider tip: The 177cm is the reference length; 184 is probably reserved for 11/10th skiers, and the 170cm gives up some of the forgiveness, brings it back toward the SL ski (the 170 has a 13m radius) that you probably already have.
K2 SuperCharger
Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
Size tested: 175

For a ski company with no recent racing pedigree, this ski was a nice surprise. It has a real cheater GS shape, a stack-height-raising system binding, and real hard-snow performance. The stack height makes the ski feel narrower and quicker edge to edge; in fact, I initially thought it was 68 mm underfoot. Stir in a tip that responds to your inputs, and a construction that doesn't budge when the G-forces start to build, and you have excitement under your feet on the groomed. At this width, it reminds me of the Dynastar Course Pro from two years ago.

What do you want a ski in the mid-70s to do? Nth degree of hard snow performance? This should be on your short list, especially if you cherish the day when 70s were all mountain and 80s were pow skis. Some rivals of the SuperCharger are the Head Rally, Blossom White Out, and definitely the Kästle MX78 (or perhaps this year's MX74, I didn't get to try it).

With all of its impressive hard snow performance, K2 could have put some retro graphics on here: it would have been a nice touch, and a reminder they've got Olympic and WC medals laying around, even if they have gathered a bit of dust over the years ….
  • Who is it for? Beer leaguers who don't want to show up on the same Atomic D2 cheater or Head Rebel that everyone else is on.
  • Who is it not for? One-ski quivers, unless you live and breathe hard, on-piste snow. It's a focused ski, and it frowned at me when I took it into Sail Away Glades hoping for some off-piste lovin'.
  • Insider tip: I got nothing. If you are considering a ski like this, you don't need any inane mutterings from me to help you decide.

Kästle FX85 HP
Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 19m@181cm

This ski sucked, then got a little better, and finally excellented. I'll avoid the soapbox as much as possible, but Kästle struggled with putting well-tuned skis in the hands of testers. The first pair I was given was horrible on hard snow; it simply did not want to hook up and start a turn. I understand that Kästle has the MX line, which is more committed to laying trenches while the FX leans toward off piste, but an 85mm ski should be decent on groomers, or at least not crappy. Things got better off-piste; the shape and flex is super accommodating, very encouraging. Whatever was going on with the tune became less of an issue in soft bumps, trees, etc. But as I turned them in, I couldn't hide my disappointment in the FX85 HP's lack of balanced, all-mountain competency.

Polite words were exchanged with the Kästle tent (and exchanged again vis a vis the MX89, see below), and then the next day I decided to try again; every year, there is a pair (or three) of skis that leaves a sour taste and warrants a second or third look before a verdict is delivered. On Day 2, the FX was properly tuned, and it was sublime. Turn initiation on groomers went from terrible to above average: pick a target and tip the skis, and they enthusiastically move across the hill. The fun kept going when I ducked into trees, slashed an untracked line, or powered through crud. The ski was very composed; it never did anything unexpected, or unfun.
  • Who is it for? Lots of people: bump skiers, folks wanting off-piste prowess without a ski width measured in three digits, or a narrow one-ski quiver.
  • Who is it not for? The extremes. If you are shopping for a hard-snow ice pick, or a ski for your AK heli trip, there are more focused options.
  • Insider tip: This is the third-generation FX, and it has shed some weight compared to Gen 2 (and has a lighter, non-metal version as well). If you want a ski in the backcountry that will thrill you on the way down, and not kill you on the way up, the FX line is once again a solid option.

Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm

Kästle revamped the FX line last year, changing the skis' shape and feel noticeably. This year it was the MX's turn to go under the knife. The difference is minimal, but better. My old MX88 has a 20m turn radius in the 178, the 180 MX89 has a 18m turn radius. The MX74 and 84 have similar subtle sidecut reductions as well compared to the outgoing MX78 and 83. The result is a ski that feels very familiar, in a comforting way, but is even more enthusiastic (and accessible to more skiers) than in years past. Plenty of skis out there perform on hard snow, but few can reach into the sublime with trees, crud, and bumps with the ease that the MX does.

Quality control reared its ugly head again in the Kästle tent, however: the 89 I was given was noticeably concave shape on the base. When skied on edge, the 89 was stable and predictable; increasing edge angle to tighten a turn was a satisfying thing. But any other method of affecting turn shape (pivoting, side slipping, brushing the tails) was unnerving, the ski was fighting me, wanting to snag an edge. I'm picturing being given a track day in a Ferrari 458 Italia with bald tires….
  • Who is it for? Aggressive all-mountain skiers, folks who demand the ski on their feet to be smooth on any part of the mountain, and are willing to pay for it.
  • Who is it not for? Penny pinchers, easy cruisers; this is still a serious ski.
  • Insider tip: I can't believe I'm saying this about Kästle, but be wary of the tune out of the wrapper. Get it done by someone you trust.

Völkl RTM 86 UVO

Dimensions: 132-86-114
Radius: 18.1m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: NGT

I have spent the last two years at SIA trying to like Völkl skis, without success. The current Mantra is, to me, the Pontiac Aztec of ~100mm waisted skis, a collection of attributes that doesn't achieve harmony as a wide all-mountain ski. The Kendo I skied last year was a horror, a ski that wasn't ready for testing and shouldn't have been put in the Völkl tent for public consumption (I hear it is sorted out now, but I couldn't be bothered to get on it, the memory was too fresh…). The zero-camber RTMs of two or three years ago were also a disappointment, a loss of focus of what 81-84mm skis should be good at doing. So, how do you imagine I feel about this year's attempt at finding a good Völkl?

Well done, Völkl.

The RTM 86 is an excellent 80s all-mountain ski; it makes me think of Kästle MXs in terms of "firm snow focus, with soft snow skills to boot." It feels very connected to the groomer, excellent feel, very predictable tip, and a flex/sidecut shape that can make tall, grande, or venti arcs. In Sail Away Glades, it has an ease of negotiating bumps and trees that reminds me of the Stormrider 88 (but a bit more brutish, not as silky) or my venerable MX88. I like this ski.
  • Who is it for? Travelin' skiers, someone who wants to throw one pair of skis in the double bag, pack all their clothes and gear around it to weigh in right at 49 lb, put their boots over their shoulder, and get on the plane. It's a great choice if you don't have the luxury of choosing.
  • Who is it not for? Cruisers; this isn't a high energy Vizsla (woof woof), but it will encourage you to burn some calories and lay them over to experience the snow connection, or stuff the tips into variable snow to see who flinches first: the RTM, or the mountain.
  • Insider tip: If you have the means, this is the RTM to have; it's the least "price point-y" model, it’s got all the toys and tech.
Read on for a look at some wider skis...

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
90+mm Skis

Elan Ripstick 96

Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Sizes tested: 181, 189
Elan Ripstick 106
Dimensions: 140-106-122
Radius: 18.1m@181cm

These were probably the most polarizing skis of the test. A slew of folks loved them (and for good reason), and a smaller but equally vocal crowd didn't like them at all (also for good reason).

The Good: On Day 1 of the test, I rode the 181cm Ripstick 96, and loved it. We were on low-angle groomers, bumps, and trees. The Ripstick is light and quick (the 106 is probably the quickest edge to edge of any ski I've been on in its class), and it has an excellent tip shape for initiating turns, with an aggressive sidecut behind the tip. This shape gives you immediate response to your inputs, without feeling overly nervous. A fun, nimble ski that provides excellent feedback, the Ripstick is a wider ski that could be used to good effect in a lesson: a student will know right away if he or she is executing the instructed technique properly.

The Bad: I started to hear about its limitations, namely, strength and stability. I had only been on it in the aforementioned mellowness, and some others had taken it into steeper off-piste, avy-controlled terrain where it was found wanting. I defended the ski, and told them I would take it into the same area and show those gapers that they didn't know what they were talking about.

Turns out I was the gaper. Dangit, I hate being the gaper!

Drahtguy Kevin and I took the 188cm 96 and the 181cm 106 up to the Sierra lift and through the plentiful cut-up pow, crud, and soft bumps. The same area that I charged with the Enforcer 93/100 and FX85 required a more deliberate approach on the Ripsticks. It isn't that they were unsuitable for the terrain, just they were unsuitable for the terrain at mach schnell.
  • Who is it for? Lighter or mellower (or both) skiers who want a wider ski that is playful and encourages good technique, instead of the more common wider ski that dulls the feedback and tends to promote sloppy skiing.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier, charge-ier skiers who need a ski that won't fold and deflect when the going gets tough.
  • Insider tip: This is a design that manages different sizes very well. Skiers on the fence about length and width can follow their gut (or their optimism) and not have to worry if they made the right choice. Going wider for more float or longer for more fore-aft forgiveness doesn't seem to have an effect on the personality (or nimbleness) of the ski.
  • Industry tip: Dear Elan: you have a really nice shape to these skis, now give them some power. Don't change the skis you made so far; simply make a Ti version as well; ask Blizzard, Kästle, and RMU how that's done. XOXO, FTM

Nordica Enforcer 93

Dimensions: 126-93-112
Radius: 18.5m@185cm
Sizes tested: 185

This ski comes eyebrow-raisingly close to the Stormrider 95 at a fraction of the price. Not close enough to unseat it; there isn't really a thing that the E93 does that the SR can't do silkier. But it is very, very good. The tip engages in an encouraging way, and it shrugged off the mostly friendly, soft crud as well as anything else in Union Peak and Union Bowl off of the Sierra lift at Copper. On the groomed, it was entertaining and energetic enough to bring a smile as I tipped it and zinged across the hill.

If the question is Enforcer 93 vs Enforcer 100, that's a tough one. For me, I would probably opt for the 93. Last year, I reviewed both Scott's The Ski and Sagebrush, which is basically a wider The Ski. Interestingly, The Ski (at 180cm) is 93mm, while the 178 Sagebrush is 100mm underfoot. I felt that The Ski was more fun everywhere than the Sagebrush was more floaty in soft snow, if that makes sense. Similarly, the E93 has a better combination of attributes that the 100 doesn't usurp with its increased girth. This biased unbiased review is colored by the fact that I own the 104mm Q-Lab, so the 93 makes more sense to me in my quiver. If I couldn't have both the Q and the E93, I would likely go for the Enforcer 100. Clear as mud?

How about a comparison with another narrower off-piste ski, the FX85? The Enforcer engages about as well on the groomed, isn't quite as money in the bumps, but floats through soft snow noticeably better than the FX, enough that I like its collection of compromises better than the FX's.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados who want to charge more than some of the kinder, gentler new breed like the Salomon QST or Elan Ripstick, but want more easy fun than a Bonafide.
  • Who is it not for? Off-piste aficionados who really want to charge, and maybe still have a Line Mothership lurking in their quiver (you know who you are). OR, someone who owns a SR95....
  • Insider tip: Consider the Enforcer 93 and 100 not as rivals, but as answers to slightly different first-world problems. Nordica is actually pretty clever in making the 93 and 100. While it doesn't make sense to own both, at all, they have made this very, very nice shape appealing to a lot more people, based on how their ski quiver is set up.

Nordica Enforcer 100
Dimensions: 133-100-121
Radius: 18.5m@185cm
Sizes tested: 185, 193
Design: NGT

Much like the RMU SCRM, I wanted the answer to the question: if some is good, is more even better? The 185 Enforcer is a great blend of attributes well documented on this site. It's very quick for a 185, but stable enough to take on crud with aggressive zest rather than with a more methodical, deliberate approach that a softer ski requires. So, can the 193 retain the quickness and stir in even more stability?

No.

Even a bigger fella like @Drahtguy Kevin found the 193 missing some of the Enforcer magic. It isn't even that the 193 was hard to manage -- it's not a kind of lead sled like the 185 SCRM -- it just gives up too much fun for not enough tangible return in stability.
  • Who is it for? If you want one ski that is good for nearly everything inside the extremes of boilerplate and bottomless pow, the Enforcer 100 is hard to beat.
  • Who is it not for? Hardcore chargers who like to be able to count the turns they make from top to bottom on the fingers of one hand. The Enforcer has a fair amount of shape, and while it is super friendly and predictable, it still likes to turn.
  • Insider tip: The 177 Enforcer is just a bit nervous; 185 is the Goldilocks length, even if you typically are a 173-180cm kind of ski buyer. Don't be scared, try the 185.

RMU SCRM
Dimensions: 134-100-124
Radius: 24m@185cm
Size tested: 185

Last year I skied the 175cm SCRM, I thought it was excellent: a serious, Titanal-laden ski from an ambitious indie company (indies and Titanal apparently don't mix well; I recently heard an indie admit that “using Titanal is hard!”). I wanted to try the 185, despite the rep's warning that it was a lot of ski.

Well, the rep was right. It was more ski than I was able to really have fun on. I lost that feeling (that I had on the 175) of a powerful ski that was nonetheless reassuring, a ski that elevated my skiing and was willing to change direction with me if I did my part. The 185 is a ski I had to wrestle and negotiate with to get down the hill in good form. But hey, now I know, although I think RMU could reach more people if they went to the 7 or 8cm gap in sizing rather than 10 cm, making the 185 a 182. It seems that most manufacturers that do 10 cm learn their lesson eventually; hopefully RMU will do the same.
  • Who is it for? Missing your old Mantra? Give RMU a call. It's also a decent alternative to the outgoing Kästle MX98; the 175cm SCRM was less work than and nearly as smooth and powerful as the 174 MX.
  • Who is it not for? Folks who believe in permissive parenting. The SCRM needs to be told what to do, you cannot sit back and hope that it will make good choices on its own.
  • Insider tip: If the RMU SCRM seems intimidating regardless of length, take a look at the Apostle, either in the original 105 mm or the new 99. The Apostle shape is a great “easier going” soft snow ski: quick, nice float (good enough for a pretty great day at Wolf Creek), and a snap to tip and bend on the groomers.

Salomon QST 106
Dimensions: 142-106-127
Radius: 25.5m@188
Size tested: 188

The guy at the Salomon tent told me a few things. He said that the QST can do everything the outgoing Q-Lab can do, and be lighter besides. He told me that this is the way the industry is going, that people are not buying heavier skis. He may be right: dozens of people love the Q-Lab, while thousands of people bought the Rossi Soul 7.

The QST line runs from 92 to 118 mm underfoot, no metal save the binding mat, which the guy at the tent told me isn't a binding mat, it is a short sheet of metal to make the area of the QST from the front of the toe piece to the back of the heel piece more damp. Decide for yourself if that sounds legit. The result is a ski that is very quick and very maneuverable. It deflects at higher speeds and in denser snow, more like a Soul 7, and less like the Cochise or Q-Lab. The shape feels similar to the Q-Lab, so it lays over and hooks up on groomers better than most One Oh Somethings, but doesn't start, or finish, a carved turn as powerfully as its predecessor. This ski is dead center in the trend toward accessibility, and it is easier to use, but also less exciting.
  • Who is it for? Folks who want float in soft snow, as well as a wide ski that can lay over and carve, but want it at an easier pace.
  • Who is it not for? That guy who straightlines under the chairlift through bumped-up crud.
  • Insider tip: The QST is made with flax as an ingredient, so if you are marooned in the backcountry, you can eat your ski to survive. Just kidding. (But not about the flax, it's really in there.)

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 19.2m@183cm
Size tested: 183

No change, at all, from last year, not even the top sheet. Good, it's wonderful. A couple of days after the SIA On Snow testing, eight or 10 of us were sitting around the living room sharing the ski we would be most wiling to ski on next season if it was the only ski we could use. This is mine. Anyone have an extra pair they want to donate?

It's a little stronger than the discontinued Fischer Motive 95Ti and a little more versatile than the Blizzard Bonafide (it floats and surfs more, without giving up stability). The tip engages predictably on groom, bumps, crud, and pow. The shape is maneuverable without being nervous, and the construction is solid without feeling planky.

I try to imagine the person building this ski; he (she? no, too weird, even for me, you'll understand in a moment) would certainly have Anthony Hopkins' soothing narrator voice, and be adorned with Nigel Mansell's reassuring, competent mustache. This is that kind of finely made ski.
  • Who is it for? Me. Well, also other skiers wanting a no-compromise all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who want a no-compromise all-mountain ski without paying a s#!tload of money for it.
  • Insider tip: If you find two pairs at clearance pricing, I'll pay you a finder's fee for one of them. Should you find them and elect not to tell me, I will follow you around the mountain, waiting for you to crash embarrassingly, whereupon I will deliver a belittling sportscasteresque recap of your crash, much like the Japanese dude imitating Howard Cosell in Better Off Dead.

Whitedot R.98

Dimensions: 128-98-109
Radius: 27m@185cm
Size tested: 185

The R.98 was one of the pleasanter surprises of the test. The skis it makes me think of are the Blizzard Bonafide and Cochise; softer than both, but still capable in crud (maybe it's the similar sidecut compared to the other two). Where it separates itself from the 187 Bone and 185 Cochise is when it gets up on edge and you apply pressure to coax it across the hill. The mid-to-high 20s radius shrinks down to 22ish and pulls across the hill in a way that the Blizzard twins cannot match.

Fit and finish wasn't the best; the top sheet was visibly misapplied/crooked when comparing one ski to the other. Kind of a head scratcher when you're trying to put your best foot forward with retailers as potential buyers, but at least the tune was good, unlike other brands mentioned elsewhere.
  • Who is it for? A lighter or more intermediate-ish charger who wants to be able to bend a ski, or someone who is pretty good at staying balanced while motoring through crud and wants their charging ski to be more entertaining on the groomer.
  • Who is it not for? The R.98 might not have enough beef for those 11/10th guys that need the power that a Cochise brings to the party.
  • Insider tip: Um, maybe see if you can make sure the top sheets weren't applied right before quittin' time.

Conclusion

Nearly all of these skis belong with someone. For me, I have a few that really blew my skirt up:
  • Blossom Great Shape, but probably the 176 instead of the 181.
  • Blossom White Out, I’d hold steady at the 182.
  • Stöckli SR95. Still the king.
  • Nordica Enforcer 93 in 185. Pugski has a proto (with super rad Nordica proto skunkworksesque topsheet) here to test in Colorado through Mother’s Day weekend, though I may lie to you if you ask me if I have ‘em…

About FairToMiddlin
Height: 5’8” - 5'10” depending on leg in use
Weight: 185 lb
Years skiing: 10ish
Days per year: 60-70
Home mountains: Loveland, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin
Preferred terrain: Powder. Failing that, off piste. Failing that, groomers for speed and technique progression.
Skiing style: Power
Preferred ski characteristics: Directional (flat tail), minimal early rise in the tip, shorter-radius sidecut -- call it 20m or less, thereabouts. I prefer metal for its ability to iron out irregular surfaces, and a tip that doesn’t deflect in crud. Also, If we initiate turns by releasing out of the old turn, and tipping our skis into the new, then the tip should assist with that; give me positive response and feedback, not reluctance and vagueness. My reference skis are WC SL skis for frontside, Head Rally and Kästle MX78 for mixed days, and Salomon Q-Lab for pow.
Boots: Fischer Vacuum RC4 150, with major mods for a ~2" leg discrepancy. Because of this, I pretty much cannot demo boots in a meaningful way.
About me: For the most part, I ski the I-70 corridor (I have passes for all of it), but I have the freedom to storm chase within an 8-hr drive of Denver metro. This year, it's taken me to Wolf Creek, Aspen, Sunlight (one of the best gems in the biz), and Park City. I crave pow! Failing that, I seek crud, bumps, and endless progression of skills. If we can suck at a higher level today than we did yesterday, we're doing it right.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been waiting a freaking month for this one. Worth it. Good work, as always.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great reviews--thanks.

So who is going to sell me a Blossom White Out?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews, FTM!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Quel dommage, what a loss, here we go in ze sauce…

Hmm, you *do* have a daughter, don't you? (Assuming I am correctly attributing that song to the chef in The Little Mermaid)

Entertaining reviews as always! I saw this post earlier today at work, but saved it for later so I could take my time reading it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm picturing being given a track day in a Ferrari 458 Italia with bald tire...

That would still be a fine day!

Great reviews. Thanks!

And as @Kyle asked, who will be selling the Blossom skis? The Whiteout looks like it might be a breakout -- sorry -- and I'm looking for a new 75-80 mm "frontside plus" ski. Still wondering about the Nordica GTs, too. Nobody but @Philpug had much to say on them. Early days, in any event.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews FTM. Um...did you like the White Out?

I seem to have similar preferences in skis although I actually like the current Mantras. It took me some days but I do. What is your height and weight?

I own the Titan in 177 and the Stockli AX in 175 in addition to some full race skis. So I share the same addiction as you. Have you been on the AX? If so how would you compare the White Out to the AX, bearing in mind I need another ski of that type like I need another exiter.

I do have to get me some SR 95-s. Or maybe some MX 89-s. You can really sell skis.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews FTM. Um...did you like the White Out?

I seem to have similar preferences in skis although I actually like the current Mantras. It took me some days but I do. What is your height and weight?

I own the Titan in 177 and the Stockli AX in 175 in addition to some full race skis. So I share the same addiction as you. Have you been on the AX? If so how would you compare the White Out to the AX, bearing in mind I need another ski of that type like I need another exiter.

I do have to get me some SR 95-s. Or maybe some MX 89-s. You can really sell skis.

I got that added, sorry ...

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
FTM's reviews always bring a smile to my face!:):thumb: To lay it on the line, he is no longer a layman reviewing skis.

Jon and I have some ski history, as my current 77's, which were purchased from him. are the aforementioned Hart Pulse, now disguised at the Blossom Wind Shear. Yup, agree with all he said of that ski, and, if the White Out is just a little bit better, then it should make a whole lot of GS cruising fans smile. One note is that my Pulse is a 170 and I found that ski in a 178 was too much ski for this shorter turn skier. Don't be afraid to try them in a shorter length, they rock with just a little speed, plus, they are great on harder snow. FTM and I talked a little about the White Out one night in Aspen, he just raved about it, best ski and best value....high praise!

I need to be on his short list when he wants to resell skis.

Giotto

Di Bondone
Skier
FTM,
What year were the White Outs? 2017, right? Since the comment says 'new construction'...

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Blossom White Out
Dimensions: 131-77-110
Radius: 16m@182cm
Size tested: 182

Best ski in test.

Best value in test.

Blossom Wind Shear

Dimensions: 124-77-110
Radius: 17.5m@180cm

This is the old Hart Pulse, literally,

Thanks for these reviews, especially of the Blossom skis! As a current owner of the 2013 Hart Pulse (last year made by Blossom for Hart), I have been asking Phil and others about the best likely replacement. Can you tell me what the New Construction represents in the White Out and Wind Shear compared to the outgoing 2016 models? Definitely want to understand as much as I can about the construction changes, and the resulting difference in feel.

The advice I have gotten from those familiar with the outgoing models is that the White Out is more of a "locked-in" carver, less interested in slarve/smear/pivot-slip approach to bumps, trees, etc. With the wider tip, is the White Out still more geared toward immediate turn initiation and wanting to stay in a carve?

FWIW, my time in the last several years on the Hart Phoenix, then the Hart Pulse (both made at Blossom) have taught me that specs and construction materials alone are not nearly the best measure of the likely fit of a ski for my tastes. There is definitely something about the flex characteristics of the skis made by Blossom that has made them the EASY choice for me among the many frontside skis I have demo'd. Excellent performance when you want it, flat out fun at all times, versatility of turn shape, speed and aggressiveness, and definitely adept at making a work-in-progress, finesse skier more confident in bumps.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
FTM,
What year were the White Outs? 2017, right? Since the comment says 'new construction'...
Yes, 2017s; all the stuff we tested is next year's. And actually, they are not new construction: I believe both are carryover from 2016, but they do have NGT from what I can tell. Please excuse the mixup.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From all the reviews so far, the buzz is LOUD on the Blossom Whiteout (3 of 3 reviewers loved this ski IIRC).

We (that is @Philpug) should put together a group buy, since they seem to be hard to locate, and eager to gain a toehold in the U.S.

I'm in for a pair of 182s with whatever Tyrolia binding makes sense. Credit card standing by!

Sponsor

Staff online