• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brad

Booting up
Skier
I'm in on the group buy! Can't find a reputable source to buy Blossom skis.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Great idea; Since the price of many other skis is creeping up quickly to the Kastles and Stockli's, the Blossom price becomes quite attractive given the comparable quality and performance.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for these reviews, especially of the Blossom skis! As a current owner of the 2013 Hart Pulse (last year made by Blossom for Hart), I have been asking Phil and others about the best likely replacement. Can you tell me what the New Construction represents in the White Out and Wind Shear compared to the outgoing 2016 models? Definitely want to understand as much as I can about the construction changes, and the resulting difference in feel.

The advice I have gotten from those familiar with the outgoing models is that the White Out is more of a "locked-in" carver, less interested in slarve/smear/pivot-slip approach to bumps, trees, etc. With the wider tip, is the White Out still more geared toward immediate turn initiation and wanting to stay in a carve?

FWIW, my time in the last several years on the Hart Phoenix, then the Hart Pulse (both made at Blossom) have taught me that specs and construction materials alone are not nearly the best measure of the likely fit of a ski for my tastes. There is definitely something about the flex characteristics of the skis made by Blossom that has made them the EASY choice for me among the many frontside skis I have demo'd. Excellent performance when you want it, flat out fun at all times, versatility of turn shape, speed and aggressiveness, and definitely adept at making a work-in-progress, finesse skier more confident in bumps.

Hi Matt, you shoulda been there, it was a Blossom candyland!

The White Out was definitely not a locked in carver. Of the many, many 77ish skis I have been on, the 182 has the best collection of attributes if you want a capable all mountain ski. Sure, it can lay trenches, but the test conditions I had it in were end of day slop groomers, crud, bumps, more end of day slop, and dash of tired legs stirred in. I was worried I might do the skis a disservice by testing them while knackered, but I felt like a rockstar on them, they encouraged such confident skiing in irregular snow.

The ski that comes closest in the category is probably the MX78, but this feels more fun; for me, the White Out is the one I would reach for the most if all of them were in a rack on my wall. Oh wait, they are, and as soon as Blossom makes its appearance in the States for purchase, they'll be on my wall, too. I bet a pair of old blue Pivot 15s would look great mounted on them... :beercheer:

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Hi Matt, you shoulda been there, it was a Blossom candyland!

The White Out was definitely not a locked in carver. Of the many, many 77ish skis I have been on, the 182 has the best collection of attributes if you want a capable all mountain ski. Sure, it can lay trenches, but the test conditions I had it in were end of day slop groomers, crud, bumps, more end of day slop, and dash of tired legs stirred in. I was worried I might do the skis a disservice by testing them while knackered, but I felt like a rockstar on them, they encouraged such confident skiing in irregular snow.

The ski that comes closest in the category is probably the MX78, but this feels more fun; for me, the White Out is the one I would reach for the most if all of them were in a rack on my wall. Oh wait, they are, and as soon as Blossom makes its appearance in the States for purchase, they'll be on my wall, too. I bet a pair of old blue Pivot 15s would look great mounted on them... :beercheer:

Thanks for the comments. Do you know if there are any changes between the 2016 and 2017 White Out?? I have heard completely contradictory answers on that question!

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
At this point, I am just not sure about anything other than how the Blossoms skied. I cannot say with any confidence if they are new for 2017, refreshed for 2017, NGT, or a simple carryover. Heck, I can't even tell you where to get some, what kind of sketchy reviewing is that?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
At this point, I am just not sure about anything other than how the Blossom's skied. I cannot say with any confidence if they are new for 2017, refreshed for 2017, NGT, or a simple carryover. Heck, I can't even tell you where to get some, what kind of sketchy reviewing is that?
Pssh. Such a layman!

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Great "tell it like it is writeup". Where are the Rebel I Speeds?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At this point, I am just not sure about anything other than how the Blossoms skied. I cannot say with any confidence if they are new for 2017, refreshed for 2017, NGT, or a simple carryover. Heck, I can't even tell you where to get some, what kind of sketchy reviewing is that?

I've been visiting the perennially glitchy Blossom site occasionally for at least five years and I'm 98% sure the White Out and the Windshear have been on there that long at least. Not sure about construction or rise parameters, but the sidecut numbers have not changed and are as striking as ever. (Two skis with identical waists and nearly identical tail widths, but one has a tip that's 7mm wider than the other? Where else have you ever seen that?) In any case FTM's reviews are making me want to try these more than ever, along with the rest of you.

Random sidebar: When I was at the Cardenali race camp at Stratton last winter I noticed that some of the coaches and returning students were on a totally unfamilar ski. Someone later told me it was a re-branded Blossom.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I've been visiting the perennially glitchy Blossom site occasionally for at least five years and I'm 98% sure the White Out and the Windshear have been on there that long at least. Not sure about construction or rise parameters, but the sidecut numbers have not changed and are as striking as ever. (Two skis with identical waists and nearly identical tail widths, but one has a tip that's 7mm wider than the other? Where else have you ever seen that?) In any case FTM's reviews are making me want to try these more than ever, along with the rest of you.

Random sidebar: When I was at the Cardenali race camp at Stratton last winter I noticed that some of the coaches and returning students were on a totally unfamilar ski. Someone later told me it was a re-branded Blossom.
Shame you didn't catch the brand of this outlier ski.

I'm as baffled as you are with the WO and WS being identically waisted. I shared my thoughts above about that, and given they are putting out WC-quality race skis, this is not a 'father's garage' indie company, and those guys regularly pump out half a dozen all mountain models in, say, a 90-120 spread. I'd love to see 3 WO-ish models in a 77-106ish range from Blossom...

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier

By any chance were the skis from Ascente or Bomber?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shame you didn't catch the brand of this outlier ski.

I'm as baffled as you are with the WO and WS being identically waisted. I shared my thoughts above about that, and given they are putting out WC-quality race skis, this is not a 'father's garage' indie company, and those guys regularly pump out half a dozen all mountain models in, say, a 90-120 spread. I'd love to see 3 WO-ish models in a 77-106ish range from Blossom...

My guess is the 131 tipped one was to replace the 124 but the 124 still skied so well and had a following, that it stayed. Not too indifferent to when Nordica was to repalce the original Enforcer with the Hell & Back Hell & Back but the Enforcer was still in demand.

By any chance were the skis from Ascente or Bomber?
Blossom has produced skis for many other labels both here and in Europe. Ascente, yes. They are bing imported by the same company. According to someone close to Bomber, their 124/77/110 ski is being produced at a different factory...down the street in the same town. I question it too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The brand I was referring to was "Cohen." There does not appear to be a currently maintained or usable site for this "company" for English speakers, so I didn't bother to name it first time around.

Sponsor

Staff online