• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but I'll take a Trek Supercaliber 9.8

I am going with Scott Spark RC 900 (either Pro or World Cup) for this season.
After 30 something years of riding bikes with either no suspension at all or HT, I kinda feel I can loosen up a bit.:)

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in this camp with you. I lust over trading my Procaliber (HT with a bit of give) for a Supercaliber this fall. Better in every way, for me, anyway.

But this doesn't help the OP with a $1,500 budget.........@Pasha, go take a look at that used Superfly in NM! A very compliant HT, as much as there really is such a thing.
The Superfly would be a really good option at that price.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
For a budget of $1500, a friend just got one this and it is an amazing value for the ~$1300 clearance price. Full suspension, NX 1x11 drivetrain, RockShox shocks: Fuji Rakan.
You can also check the Fuji Auric for more of an All Mountain/Enduro option, also on clearance. With the $200 left, get a bike shop to a assemble it and tune it and you should be good to go.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess we're transitioning from skiing pretty quickly-5 pages in about 24 hours..............

Just a little anecdote from my experience....... when my daughter and her family lived in NC, I'd take my good bike down with me. One of the visits, either we flew or I didn't bother and used an old POS 26' Diamondback that belonged to my son in law-rim brakes, original tires, front shock with no travel ...........I still had fun! Start small and if you like it, upgrade. Like most have said, the entry point is quite a bit higher than skis. It's a great sport!

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Can we start a Lefty fork vs. the world debate now? :duck:

We want to get that out of the way first or just jump into 27.5 vs 29?

which one has stif tails that release easily in the powder but carve slalom turns on groomers? I do prefer them to be fast edge to edge....
:roflmao::duck:
I’m off to catch up on the Armageddon thread...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And then there are fat bikes.

marsound

Skier
Skier
I mean, you can discuss all day and choose to disagree, but I'll take a Trek Supercaliber 9.8 all day long over any hardtail...climbing included..

Great bike, and happens to be a soft tail not a true FS (just sayin').

FS is great and I have a couple, but will always keep a HT (n+1) in the stable. I don't always need a FS on many rides and I like the instant power transfer and weight savings.

But to each their own! (And let's not get started on eBikes...)

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Where I ride in New England you don't see many hardtail bikes. Every trail I've ever ridden around here gets technical really fast. I think Kingdom Trails in VT may have some flowy smooth single track but otherwise NE riding seems quite rocky/rooty/turny. Bike stores here sell a lot of full suspension "trail" bikes, though I'm sure you can get the other kinds mentioned. When I road once out in CO the super flowy/fast/smooth single track was a real eye opener. In my opinion way more fun than New England. Just like skiing.

Point is to get a bike for the conditions you will actually see. If the OP lived here I'd recommend a used FS 29" trail bike. I think you could get a decent one for 2k. I'm sure plenty of studs could crush the local trails on an XC hardtail but for a newbie it would be really discouraging and maybe even dangerous.

marsound

Skier
Skier
I agree Pdub, it's where you ride, your experience/skill level/risk level, what you like, phase of the moon, whatever...

A decent new FS for 2k? Do you have a recommendation for the OP?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are either under forty or you don't live in New England.

Well, last season I did almost all the riding on this:

IMG_7021.jpg

This particular picture is from a day of self torture on trails like this-70 something km with 3000 m climb. That's what I call long...ish XC ride.

No suspension at all.

This is how one progresses in the wonderful world of riding off road. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, last season I did almost all the riding on this:

View attachment 98438

This particular picture is from a day of self torture on trails like this-70 something km with 3000 m climb. That's what I call long...ish XC ride.

No suspension at all.

This is how one progresses in the wonderful world of riding off road. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Yup. In New England, that's a road ride.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. In New England, that's a road ride.

That’s the approach man :):) On the tougher parts I was too busy carrying the bike on my back to take pictures

But I salute everyone who can cycle up 50-60 degrees no matter what bike he rides

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be fair, if it rained a few weeks and then froze and thawed and rained some more you could potentially call it a CX ride.

If it freezes, it is no time for riding a bike.
Bikes are April-November activity.
From November to April I have something more addictive to do. :)

Sponsor

Staff online