• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking. Haven’t ridden any bike in years. Has an 80s road bike of questionable size. What should one buy and what questions to ask in a shop? Why this cheapo thing is bad or good:
Asking for friend. 5’11” 160lb. Haven’t done any research yet- clean sheet of paper...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What should one buy

Ermmm.....a bicycle?
A hardtail one. Cross country.29".

With bicycles only height of the rider is relevant, not the weight. Well unless you want to buy Pinarello Dogma F12 and weigh 130 kg, in which case you are out of luck. :) But these cost like 15k USD so better not talk about them.

180 cm is the lower L frame, could fit in M as well perhaps. Alloy frame. Shimano SLX groupset is more than good enough. Platform pedals.

There you go.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro Why hardtail? Does full suspension requires technique or is just something needed for advanced trails?

Well you said you were a noob and wanted something to start with. Full sus in the inexpensive entry level bikes will be quite a lot heavier, that's first and second-learning to ride a hardtail makes you a whole lotta better rider long term. Full sus does not require any special or different technique-au contraire-riding a hardtail makes you pick your lines more carefully.
Full sus will also be more expensive-for the same amount of money you will get much more bike with a hardtail.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro Why hardtail? Does full suspension requires technique or is just something needed for advanced trails?

Depends on your budget. Basically, for a given level of quality / durability / performance, you're going to pay $1,000 more for a FS bike. Entry fee is very roughly $1,500 for a hardtail and $2,500 for a suspension bike.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another way to think of it is this: Multiply your ski/binding budget by five - ten. Many folks here who are avid skiers and bike riders are on $600 skis and $3,000 - $6,000 MTBs. The Stöckli folks are on $9,000 rides. Your $399 Schwinn is like a pair of new skis for $40. Sorry. Don't shoot the messenger.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would look at used before I would look at a new $400 bike. Also, depending on where you are riding a Good to Better (on a scale of Bad-Good-Better-Best) hardtail is a better bike than a Bad full suspension. I do like @scott43's question, what do you think mounaint biking is? It is just some dirt paths, some simple single track or Moab and the Red Bull Challenge? Is this a transition bike or do you expect to keep it a while?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, I kind of dropped this.. But what do you expect to do? Some people I know consider mountain biking to be literally riding a mountain bike on paved paths. Others drop 10' off rocks. So a little context would be good. I think the advice so far is what I'd say..you'll bet more bike with a hard tail. Crappy FS bikes are..crappy. If you have dough, get a nice $5k FS bike..you won't regret it. But most people can't make that pick. So HT is a good compromise. There are lots of good bikes around $1200-$1500.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It would be nice to know what you consider mountain biking to be.

Without knowing that though, let's just make some suggestions anyway.

If you want a "cheap" hardtail, get this https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fuse-27-5/p/171070?color=263341-171070&searchText=96020-7001 that bike has everything you need to get started.

Full suspension bikes are better in every way. If you know you are eventually going to go there anyway, you might as well start with the YT Jeffsy.

You are going to need a helmet of course and bike shoes. Clipless or flat pedals (just bite the bullet and go clipless which oddly enough you do clip into like ski bindings). Get some bike shorts, and you will want a camelback or similar. Flats aren't what they used to be, but you will still want to be prepared for one because you don;t want your ride to turn into a long walk.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Clipless or flat pedals

Why not both?

Shimano has something very similar.
For a complete noob I STRONGLY advise against full clipless. No and just no.

And besides, a trail bike is NOT what a noob needs, they need a XC bike. XC is that "one bike quiver" that does everything.
And 29 is better than 27.5.
And SLX is much better than Deore, so Specialized is not the brand. Scott will offer much more bike for the same money, as will probably other companies, but I am a Scott fan (although Roubaix will be my next road bike) :)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would look at used before I would look at a new $400 bike. Also, depending on where you are riding a Good to Better (on a scale of Bad-Good-Better-Best) hardtail is a better bike than a Bad full suspension.

True and true. TONS of cheap used bikes out there.

For a complete noob I STRONGLY advise against full clipless. No and just no.

Some truth here, although (the almost unknown) Shimano multi-release cleats make the learning curve MUCH more friendly.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because those are bad at being both.

How do you know? Ever tried them?

Because I have. Have smaller. narrower version on my gravel bike and can tell you they are ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for a bike you do not know what shoes you will ride in.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_7698.jpg

As I said-perfect.
You ride in snickers around town and when you want some performance just put on the MTB shoes with the SPD cleats and off you go.

As for the brand:

Same amount of money-Scott is much better.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yes, I have tried a Shimano version. It's always wrong side up regardless of which shoes you are using. For around town, sure, great. Not for mountain biking.

Sponsor

Staff online