• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado A Basin vs Loveland season pass

Which one is better for a Front Range "everything" skier?

• Luv, duh

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • A Basin, obvs

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Both (they're so different!)

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, no more condo - I have to drive during peak times, or pony up for a hotel, like everybody else next season. I also suspect I'll be skiing less than I used to, so maybe 15-20 days. I'm pretty sure I'll get an Eldora pass for occasional pre-work jaunts, I want to take a break from Epic, and I don't want to deal with crowds anymore.

I've been primarily a Breck skier for years, know it well. I enjoy trees and high alpine. My favorite runs are, hm -

"Normal" day: B50 trees to Contest Bowl, Peerless trees. I've lapped B50 to Contest probably 10 times in a row some days.
Wind buffed day: Middle of Horseshoe, Vertigo
Soft day: Southern Cross, Windows, CJ's, Wonderland
Big powder day: All of the above plus Charlie's trees, Minecrotch, The Burn, Mayday to Boreas

Not sure I'm motivated enough to do crappy snow days anymore.

While fully recognizing that fresh corduroy can be fantastic, I mostly use groomers for technique practice when the other stuff isn't open.

I don't mind some minerals along with my vegetables - plenty of experience working my way around rocks.

Here are my thoughts:

I have friends who ski at either/both place, although the Epic breakup may shake that up. I assume I'll have the possibility of hooking up with ski buddies either way.

Proximity: Loveland wins, ESPECIALLY if the pass is closed.
Cell reception: I have Verizon, so Loveland wins there.

Questions:
  • Hike to: I rarely do this, but want the option. Is one better than the other?
  • Aspects/snow quality: I hear a lot about Loveland getting windblown and scraped. Does A Basin fare better?
  • Lifts: which one has better terrain access in inclement weather?
  • Avy mitigation: which one seems to get terrain open faster after a big storm?
  • Crowds: Any predictions on how crowds will change? I assume A Basin will get less crowded. I don't know if there will be knock-on effects for Loveland.
  • Season pass perks - which is better / for whom is each better?
  • Late season - is there any chance that Loveland will step up their game? Probably not, right?
  • What else?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m sure you will get a lot of opinions because folks love both of these mountains. If I lived in or around Denver, Loveland would be my go to mountain. Easiest of the 2 to get to, usually less crowded, great, varied terrain and usually great conditions. I usually get at least a few lessons each year and with their lesson plans the pretty much give you a pass for the cost of the lessons. So to me the choice would be either Loveland or both.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think for hike to Abasin wins handily. It's real couloir type terrain. Loveland has the Ridge Cat which doesn't do all that much but is fun. I've only skied Loveland 2 days though. (Abasin was too crowded!)
I was very impressed with Loveland. They both have their thing in slightly different ways.

I also haven't skied Abay since the Beavers area opened.

For expert terrain Abay probably wins? You have to like moguls (Palli) though.

Last edited:

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's not too pricey to get both. :) I guess it's not guaranteed yet that A-Basin will continue to offer the double down pass, but it's currently $599 for 2 years with no blackouts.

Tree skiing is drastically better at A-Basin; with the new Beavers terrain it's no contest. And honestly with East Wall + Steep Gullies hike-to / steeps are no contest either. A-Basin gets way more scraped than Loveland right now but I'd say that post-Epic pass they should be pretty comparable in the snow quality dept.

I mean you know I'd pick A-Basin over LL in a heartbeat but they're both great. I'd make an effort to get some LL days over the next month or two to get a better feel for the place.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A Basin is amazing when its not a crapshow which these past few seasons more often than not it has been. LL is rarely if ever like that. LL spreads people out a lot more but with the Beavers A Basin has improved greatly. I am really curious how much A Basin's pull out from the Epic pass is going to improve the experience next season (less crowds). Looking back my best turns of the season, year after year have been at Loveland. Is it for everyone, NO. But that is a good thing.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@nay because I'm sure he will have opinions :)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Read today that Loveland made an overture that they would be interested in doing a combined pass with A Basin. That seems to have some potentials.

A Loveland Pass pass?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Read today that Loveland made an overture that they would be interested in doing a combined pass with A Basin. That seems to have some potentials.

Where? Links or it didn't happen!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Where? Links or it didn't happen!

Read it this AM from a news feed. Should have saved the source but just was not that awake yet and WAAAY to much Nyquil in the system right now. But very certain I did not hallucinate this.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This pair of non-commital quotes, which I have seen in several places:

"A-Bay spokeswoman Katherine Fuller wrote in an email to Westword, "There are no new partnerships to announce. In the coming months, A-Basin will be discussing opportunities with several resorts and resort groups."

Sellers [Loveland] is also mysterious about the potential of a union.

"As of right now, there's nothing planned. But I will say, 'Never say never,'" Sellers says. "We evaluate all opportunities as they come through, and there certainly have been more recently with the rapidly changing landscape. Never say never."

Generated this misleading headline, which may be what Bad Bob saw:

"Loveland's Not Joining a Mega-Pass but Open to Teaming With A-Basin"

The link is here:
https://www.westword.com/news/lovel...t-open-to-collaborating-with-a-basin-11265339

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This pair of non-commital quotes, which I have seen in several places:

"A-Bay spokeswoman Katherine Fuller wrote in an email to Westword, "There are no new partnerships to announce. In the coming months, A-Basin will be discussing opportunities with several resorts and resort groups."

Sellers [Loveland] is also mysterious about the potential of a union.

"As of right now, there's nothing planned. But I will say, 'Never say never,'" Sellers says. "We evaluate all opportunities as they come through, and there certainly have been more recently with the rapidly changing landscape. Never say never."

Generated this misleading headline, which may be what Bad Bob saw:

"Loveland's Not Joining a Mega-Pass but Open to Teaming With A-Basin"

The link is here:
https://www.westword.com/news/lovel...t-open-to-collaborating-with-a-basin-11265339

Yeah, that's what I suspect. I would call these "nothing burgers" and "wishful thinking" until proven otherwise.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure I'll get an Eldora pass for occasional pre-work jaunts,
Have you seen the Eldora pass is $499 and midweek is $399? That's getting pretty close to the Ikon base that gets you unlimited Copper and WP/MJ for $649, as well as a few other distant resorts. ;)

Maybe Ikon Base + Luv and/or A-basin passe(s)/4-pack(s)?

And, to answer your questions A-basin > Luv and worth the extra drive and hassle, until it's not.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Have you seen the Eldora pass is $499 and midweek is $399? That's getting pretty close to the Ikon base that gets you unlimited Copper and WP/MJ for $649, as well as a few other distant resorts. ;)

Irrelevant, though - the only reason to get Eldora would be to AVOID I 70 and minimize drive time. If I were choosing based on terrain, Eldora wouldn't make the list.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Irrelevant, though - the only reason to get Eldora would be to AVOID I 70 and minimize drive time. If I were choosing based on terrain, Eldora wouldn't make the list.
No doubt. Just thinking for $150 more than the full Eldora Pass you get a ton more with Ikon Base. Not sure if you've skied Eldora much, but there have been a number of years I could ski for free there and never did, opting to drive to MJ or Copper instead. It's not just the terrain, but also the snow.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
No doubt. Just thinking for $150 more than the full Eldora Pass you get a ton more with Ikon Base. Not sure if you've skied Eldora much, but there have been a number of years I could ski for free there and never did, opting to drive to MJ or Copper instead. It's not just the terrain, but also the snow.

I know, but just the idea of driving up I 70 exhausts me these days. I've had some nasty scraped "I left the mid Atlantic for a reason" days at Eldora, but I've also had phenomenal tree skiing on powder days. Those upslope storms are no joke.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you thought about joining Schussbaumer? Even if you don’t spend the night, it has convenient parking, a place to cook and hang out.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you thought about joining Schussbaumer? Even if you don’t spend the night, it has convenient parking, a place to cook and hang out.
I have several friends (one being Sarah Thompson aka Lilabear from SkiDiva) have been members there for years and LOVE it! Great community of people.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like you are required to be a Summit Co resident to join.
Sarah lives in Hong Kong; my other friends that are members live in Boulder and Denver...

Sponsor

Staff online