• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado A Basin vs Loveland season pass

Which one is better for a Front Range "everything" skier?

• Luv, duh

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • A Basin, obvs

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Both (they're so different!)

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I can't remember what he said, might have even been profanity laced, but it was clear it was really, really terrible.

In May they're right.

Many locals hate on it. Personally, I don't get the hate if you're an expert skier. It is a techy, tight, fun little shot down to the highway. And if East Ropes is open, it often holds great snow in steep trees. Way better than riding 8 up again and then a long traverse across 4. In that time I could've skied another lap off Chets or had half a beer in the Rat.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
In May they're right.

Many locals hate on it. Personally, I don't get the hate if you're an expert skier. It is a techy, tight, fun little shot down to the highway. And if East Ropes is open, it often holds great snow in steep trees. Way better than riding 8 up again and then a long traverse across 4. In that time I could've skied another lap off Chets or had half a beer in the Rat.

Yeah, we're talking about Tunnel Face. It gets hammered by the sun, so you must adjust your timing when choosing to ski it. It actually opens up a bit right in the middle (easily seen from the highway) and there's a nice rock there to huck and show off your steezy air tricks.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
In May they're right.

It’s serviceable with snow.

Loveland could grade that purely as an exit and make it a lot more useful. It’s a bit of a trap much of the time with exposed rock and ice.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The funny thing is, mdf and I wanted to ski that trail that goes under the highway. I mean you've got to, right?The locals, like Geib, just shook their head and said, " oh no, no , you really don't" Unfazed, we ended up asking a patroller on the trail about it.
I can't remember what he said, might have even been profanity laced, but it was clear it was really, really terrible.

Ok, so this deserved a “see, it’s fine pic” from yesterday. This is where you can either take the chute down low, which is of course steeper than it looks, or go high and drop a few tight moguls.

AA3243AB-C6A4-4EBC-886A-332C819C2C80.jpeg

The problem is the chute is a blind curve and the hillside edge usually has protruding rocks and it’s icy from being in the sun. Easy to side slip tips to rocks.

The upper route can have exposed rocks if you pop up in the wrong spot as well as trough rocks, all east facing and often icy.

So any lack of speed control is usually ugly in there, and base damage potential can be hard to assess before you commit. Yesterday had nice creamy snow. Bueno.

It looked like this on the outside.

A76A0DF3-06A8-4DF8-8D30-C3AAAF1BE89D.jpeg
0718D2BD-FCA8-4777-8E76-62FAAB43BB7A.jpeg

A-Basin was much better, tho’. Groomers at the base got icy. Very unfriedly.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, this worked out for me (if not for everyone else who was hoping for A Basin to stay independent). I get A Basin *and* Loveland thanks to getting Ikon + Loveland.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, this worked out for me (if not for everyone else who was hoping for A Basin to stay independent). I get A Basin *and* Loveland thanks to getting Ikon + Loveland.
I tried to persuade a friend of mine on that combo. I forgot her reason but she didn’t take my suggestion.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online