• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado A-Basin Reopening on Wednesday, May 27

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Oh wow I thought they said it was a lottery, and they would take entries until 9pm mountain before picking winners and losers.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just my two cents but as a passholder and as a former software developer myself I have a hard time condemning ABasin for giving it a go. Obviously they are winging it to a degree and no doubt they are trying to make a little money as well. But their existing software wasn't adequate and it's not like they have a large IT department to write something new. Even if they did there's been very little potential dev time to react to the new situation.

I'd also rate it very unlikely that the dollar amounts they collect from this will have any meaningful effect on their bottom line so I don't see any bad motives here either. More likely correct is that they see this as a chance to make a few people happy with some slope time while management and employees learn what works and what doesn't when social distancing is required.

If you're usually a fan of the place then give them a break while they are trying to wing it and create a few ski days on the mountain.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This mess makes me stop and wonder what else they haven't thought threw well enough. I'll probably pause in making a submission until I get a better lay of the land, take a look at what it's like tomorrow. Usually, I'm one of the first in line, for the past dozen years or more.

I do appreciate them learning as they go along. Just not at my expense. I sure hope it isn't this complicated - and unnatural - come next fall.

‘Think of how different it is going to the grocery store now vs what it was like two months ago. Businesses and customers adapt. You just have to worry about the a-holes with a chip on their shoulder. Only takes one.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just my two cents but as a passholder and as a former software developer myself I have a hard time condemning ABasin for giving it a go. Obviously they are winging it to a degree and no doubt they are trying to make a little money as well. But their existing software wasn't adequate and it's not like they have a large IT department to write something new. Even if they did there's been very little potential dev time to react to the new situation.

I'd also rate it very unlikely that the dollar amounts they collect from this will have any meaningful effect on their bottom line so I don't see any bad motives here either. More likely correct is that they see this as a chance to make a few people happy with some slope time while management and employees learn what works and what doesn't when social distancing is required.

If you're usually a fan of the place then give them a break while they are trying to wing it and create a few ski days on the mountain.

I doubt they have any IT department. Most likely relying on their vendors. I personally care more that they have competent lift ops and beer pourers.

I don’t think anyone is complaining for them giving it a try - they got the results I expected. I don’t live in CO, so I didn’t bother trying to get tix, but if I had tried, I would have kept my expectations very low. I think logistics on the mtn/in the lot will be tougher. Bit too much for me, but I don’t go the opening day for the wrod. Wait till things settle.

Big ? is will areas have these same problems next year.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh wow I thought they said it was a lottery, and they would take entries until 9pm mountain before picking winners and losers.

Entries between 7 and 9 today are for Thursday. They took entries from 3 to 5 today for Wednesday.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Big ? is will areas have these same problems next year.
Depends if there’s a vaccine!

I have no problem with them not having much IT resources. But they do have a couple weeks of advance warning for the reopening, even though they don’t know the exact date. And they SHOULD know they need to have a reservation system upon reopening.

ZeeJM

Not available in any store.
Skier
While the drawing is open to "all pass holders", that doesn't mean season pass holders aren't prioritized. Just sayin'....

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
While the drawing is open to "all pass holders", that doesn't mean season pass holders aren't prioritized. Just sayin'....

We all just submitted a google form. There was no entry for your pass type. Plenty of the “winners” won’t have passes and will be haggling to get in at the gate, claiming forgotten passes. Why not? Nobody had to validate their entry as qualified.

I still haven’t heard if I am skiing tomorrow. 599 I guess:roflmao:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What a bunch of whiners. A-Basin could have just not re-opened. Would THAT have made you happier?

Yes. The self inflicted wounds are harder to watch than CNN during a pandemic. Did you really want a glimpse into skiing 20/21?

The global skiing model is now built on unrestricted access purchased through commitments to mega passes. Oops.

Sometimes a technology problem is just masquerading as a commitments you can’t keep problem.

Last edited:

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
The lottery system insures that "out of stater's" will not make the trip. At least not very many of them. Not too many skiers will make the trek if their chances of skiing are - at best - 50/50. I'm kind of going stir-crazy and would not mind getting out of the house on a road trip, but not to spend the time in a hotel room. I have a season pass and an IKON pass and did ski Abasin one time this year. Not sure which pass I used.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm. This makes me wonder what things will be like when Beartooth Basin opens in a few days?

Sponsor